Okay, so I have roughly £150 max to spend on an interface (USB) for recording.

I'll be going through a laptop (which is a bit risky, though it has 4gb of RAM and has fairly decent specs, better than my old laptop which could record fine through the direct-in (unfortunately that ol' trick doesn't work with this computer, no direct-in thing on it)) and both using mics (SM57 mainly, til I can afford other/better ones) and stuff like VST amps (for all bass I'll be needing to use software cos I have no bass amp).

Though these things seem to be possible on most USB Interfaces that are around.

But as to which to get, I'm confused!

My options...are pretty much anything in my price range.
I hear good things about the Focusrite Saffire 6 (I read they have better mic pres than the M-Audio stuff which I know are popular, but I'm not exactly knowledgeable on this stuff).
And along with this I know that the M-Audio stuff is good.
I've heard good things about Tascam and Lexicon interfaces, but it seems whenever I do search around the internet for recommendations it's those two companies whose interfaces seem to get "my interface is ****ing up" problems more than others.
There's also stuff like the Line6 UX2, but I haven't researched that a whole lot and can only assume there's better stuff out there, but I may just be ignorant!

So...does anyone have any insight onto what would work best with my set-up (if you can call it that!) and price range and stuff?

Thanks.
Get a second hand Presonus Firestudio Mobile on ebay. They occasionally pop up for £150 and they're awesome - http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=presonus+firestudio+mobile&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Nothing at the moment (cheapest is £189 which is roughly rrp - rrp is about £190-210) but I have seen them on there for £150, practically new with all boxes, wires, used a handful of times etc.
I'm currently ampless but use a Line 6 POD GX interface, and couldn't be happier with it.

You can buy add on packs if you want more effects or amp models but I just use it to cut rough ideas and my room is tiny so can't really fit an amp in there.

Make sure your laptop has a decent sound card and decent speakers though otherwise it's a waste of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavnofingrprnt
well there are only three true people alive today who are actually possesed by satan

Dakota Fanning, the kfc general dude, and my neighbor and all of them dont have much musical ability
Quote by Joycey
I'm currently ampless but use a Line 6 POD GX interface, and couldn't be happier with it.

You can buy add on packs if you want more effects or amp models but I just use it to cut rough ideas and my room is tiny so can't really fit an amp in there.

Make sure your laptop has a decent sound card and decent speakers though otherwise it's a waste of time.

I need to be able to use a mic which the Line 6 Pod GX doesn't do.

Plus, I always though the point in an interface was it didn't matter how the soundcard was? As it acted as an external soundcard?

(though with the speakers I do need to invest in some good ones, but the interface is my priority right now).
Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand, the interface is an external soundcard. I.E I think you are correct. I have the line 6 UX1 and it is pretty decent and I have a pretty low spec computer, so I'd guess you'd have no problem running that. The only thing with the POD FARM is that the presets are pretty lame, as long as you dial in your tone correctly you can get a pretty good sound in my opinion.

Plus I think without setting it up correctly with the DAW you get with it, I think you can only play it with head phones, so that might not be for you if you expect to play it straight through the speakers (I've never used it without the headphones so I'm unsure about this.)

Good luck in choosing an interface.
My name is Jack.
the presonus audiobox is fantastic. the inputs have a reputation for being too hot for electric guitar but iv never had any issues with clipping with mine and i have fairly high output pups
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
my Focusrite Sapphire is a "work of art". I've owned (and currently do own) others but this baby beats em all!
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!