Hi all, I'm currently in Spain for a camp and I've been asked to play guitar at several group sessions. I can't however because the chords are all different in the song books. Instead of (A, B, C,.... G), the chords are (DO, RE, MI,.... TI). Would this just translate to the C Major scale or would it depend on the music? If anybody knows, I'd really appreciate it because I have two weeks left to learn
I'm not 100% sure but I believe it goes by whatever scale you're using. Never heard of anyone using that system to show what chords to play though.

EDIT: Nevermind this, the link is way more reliable.
Last edited by Miiiiks at Jul 17, 2011,
Quote by Flibo

I doubt it's the fixed solfége system to be honest, it's more likely to be the relative version of the system so each of the do-re-mi and so on refers to intervals rather than specific notes.

Does kind of make sense to me for jazz standards since they're harmonic movements and a relative melody rather than a tune per sé.

In this system you'd have:

Do - 1
Re - 2
Mi - 3
Fa - 4
So - 5
la - 6
ti - 7

So then something like a Mib (mi-flat) would be a minor third and extending from that a chord notated as a Mib7#13 would be a 7#13 chord built from the minor third. Still a little odd to me but not completely illogical given the material.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I doubt it's the fixed solfége system to be honest, it's more likely to be the relative version of the system so each of the do-re-mi and so on refers to intervals rather than specific notes.

Does kind of make sense to me for jazz standards since they're harmonic movements and a relative melody rather than a tune per sé.

In this system you'd have:

Do - 1
Re - 2
Mi - 3
Fa - 4
So - 5
la - 6
ti - 7

So then something like a Mib (mi-flat) would be a minor third and extending from that a chord notated as a Mib7#13 would be a 7#13 chord built from the minor third. Still a little odd to me but not completely illogical given the material.

Some people in Europe do use a fixed solfège, ( ) so it's quite possible that it's the case in this instance.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Do-Re-Mi-Fa-Sol-La-Si(-Do) C-D-E-F-G-A-B(-C)

So if they tell you to play "un Do" play the C (major) chord.

I'm pretty sure it's the fixed solfege system, I'm from Latin America and I never used the relative one.
Quote by almosthuman36
Learning sheet music will add to your knowledge of music theory, which will add to your knowledge of writing, which will make your songs sound better, which will make you more popular, which will increase your chances of getting laid.
Official biographers claim that his birth at Baekdu Mountain was foretold by a swallow, and heralded by the appearance of a double rainbow over the mountain and a new star in the heavens.

kim jong ill