My son's guitar has a Floyd Rose and he plays in drop D tuning a lot, will he need to get the guitar set up permanently to accommodate this. Will drop D tuning affect the tension on the neck? I have no idea about Floyd Rose systems, and how drop D affects the tension etc. Any advice will be gratefully received, thanks in advance.
drop d basically means you're dropping the low e a full step down. You may have to mess with the floyd a little bit but i don't think it'd do much in terms of altering tension. You could also buy a D-Tuna system (link:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/evh-d-tuna-drop-d-tuning-system/430690) And have him able to switch from drop d to standard very easily with no issues.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Thanks for your reply. I didn't realise you could get the Drop D fitting, that may just be the answer, thanks again.
You can set it up so you can drop D it with just the fine tuner if you want. Just screw the fine tuner in most of the way, and tune the regular tuner to E. Now you can drop D it by unscrewing the fine tuner.
Quote by Ichabod Crane
My son's guitar has a Floyd Rose and he plays in drop D tuning a lot, will he need to get the guitar set up permanently to accommodate this. Will drop D tuning affect the tension on the neck? I have no idea about Floyd Rose systems, and how drop D affects the tension etc. Any advice will be gratefully received, thanks in advance.

Wouldn't affect it much. Depending on the tension of the sixth string, you may have to loosen a screw in the cavity to change the angle of the FR.

Hope I helped. Now...time to hunt the Headless Horseman!
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
The D-tuna is cool, but limits your ability to raise the pitch of the note. If that would be a problem, you may want to look into another guitar. If not, then go for it
Quote by nickdohle
The D-tuna is cool, but limits your ability to raise the pitch of the note. If that would be a problem, you may want to look into another guitar. If not, then go for it

Oh man, completely forgot about that. My bad.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by gucio93
Oh man, completely forgot about that. My bad.

Well you can still dive bomb with it, you just cant do any dimebag squeals and stuff like that. Its a very useful tool if you can live without the raising pitch ability
Quote by Woffelz
Wouldn't affect it much. Depending on the tension of the sixth string, you may have to loosen a screw in the cavity to change the angle of the FR.

Hope I helped. Now...time to hunt the Headless Horseman!

Yes thank you for your reply, that was another thing I hadn't thought of, but as for the headless horseman, he's proving to be quite elusive........... lol
Drop D tuning wouldn't be a problem on a floyd rose. I own an Ibanez with a floyd rose. When you buy the guitar it should be already properly Innotated. I believe that is the word. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyways. When you tune it, or whoever does it is a long process because everytime you turn them tuning keys on the the 6th, 5th, and 4th string it will either put the last 3 in flat or sharp. Depends on the higher strings. So the way I did it was to put the higher strings in sharp and then tune the lower into flat and slowly go through each string one at a time giving each key a little turn and I finally got a perfect Drop C tuning. Or you could just take it to a music shop and pay for it to get tuned. Oh and of course you will have to loosen up the locking nuts first. Drop D shouldn't be much of a problem though. Especially if you have the right string gauge and everything is working fine on the floyd rose. If you ever go for a lower tuning though, you're going to want to up the gauge size and thus repeat the whole agonizing process of tuning with the Floyd. But if you love the tremolo it is all worth it in the end. Good Luck.
Quote by ishredwithnubs
Drop D tuning wouldn't be a problem on a floyd rose. I own an Ibanez with a floyd rose. When you buy the guitar it should be already properly Innotated. I believe that is the word. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyways. When you tune it, or whoever does it is a long process because everytime you turn them tuning keys on the the 6th, 5th, and 4th string it will either put the last 3 in flat or sharp. Depends on the higher strings. So the way I did it was to put the higher strings in sharp and then tune the lower into flat and slowly go through each string one at a time giving each key a little turn and I finally got a perfect Drop C tuning. Or you could just take it to a music shop and pay for it to get tuned. Oh and of course you will have to loosen up the locking nuts first. Drop D shouldn't be much of a problem though. Especially if you have the right string gauge and everything is working fine on the floyd rose. If you ever go for a lower tuning though, you're going to want to up the gauge size and thus repeat the whole agonizing process of tuning with the Floyd. But if you love the tremolo it is all worth it in the end. Good Luck.

Thanks for your really comprehensive reply. My son's guitar is also an Ibanez, but I couldn't tell you which model, suffice to say though he was desperate to get a Floyd Rose lol It's not something I would go for, none of my guitars have one I'm too lazy lol but being the good dad I am, I'm helping him with it. We've got the 'fun' of changing the strings yet too lol Anyway, thanks very much again for your reply, it's much appreciated.
Last edited by Ichabod Crane at Jul 18, 2011,
Well I bought the Jackson KVX10 yesterday, it has a Floyd Rose and my dealer has told me not to even try changing the tuning myself, but I love playing Lamb Of God and Megadeth so I want to change between Drop D Tuning and standard E as quickly and conveniently as possible.Any help folks?

And I've heard there's an adjustment that can help us tune the 6th string to drop D just using the tuner near the bridge, how does that happen? And it probably affects the action of the guitar right? Help people I'm dying to play Lamb Of God!
Quote by procrastinator7
Well I bought the Jackson KVX10 yesterday, it has a Floyd Rose and my dealer has told me not to even try changing the tuning myself, but I love playing Lamb Of God and Megadeth so I want to change between Drop D Tuning and standard E as quickly and conveniently as possible.Any help folks?

And I've heard there's an adjustment that can help us tune the 6th string to drop D just using the tuner near the bridge, how does that happen? And it probably affects the action of the guitar right? Help people I'm dying to play Lamb Of God!

It's not possible sadly, the bridge floats so anytime you change the tension of one string it will affect the others - regardless of whether you use the fine tuners or the main tuning heads.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com