Hello to the UG community, first post here. I thought maybe you guys could help me with something.

I have a 2000 Standard Stratocaster (Made in Mexico) and I was looking to get some replacement pick-ups for it. I currently had Texas Specials in mind but I'm looking for something very versatile, capable of handling some drive but still be able to get some really classic Strat tones. I've never swapped out pick-ups before so is there something I should look out for? Should I change the pots too? What kind of pick-ups would you recommend?

Thanks.
Quote by Uncle Manwich
Hello to the UG community, first post here. I thought maybe you guys could help me with something.

I have a 2000 Standard Stratocaster (Made in Mexico) and I was looking to get some replacement pick-ups for it. I currently had Texas Specials in mind but I'm looking for something very versatile, capable of handling some drive but still be able to get some really classic Strat tones. I've never swapped out pick-ups before so is there something I should look out for? Should I change the pots too? What kind of pick-ups would you recommend?

Thanks.

I'll put in a big +1 for Texas Specials. I love mine, and they are really quite versatile. I can get SRV tones, classic Clapton tones, and even some more high gain stuff as well. Best thing to do? Go to a guitar store and play a guitar with Texas Specials. The SRV has them, and also the Roadhouse I believe.

I would change the pots and switches as well. I use dimarzio pro parts, and they are very good. When I got my MIA strat,t he first thing I did as change out the pots and there was a noticeable difference in the tone, so definitely something i would recommend.

More importantly though, what amp do you have?
Quote by Uncle Manwich

Thanks.

You'll get a hundred times more change in sound using a pedal and playing with the equalizer settings on your amp.
I'm using a Carvin MTS-3212 50th Anniversary model, the standard Carvin British series speakers were replaced with 2 Eminence Swamp Thangs. Other than that I have a standard Cry Baby, a Whammy IV and a YJM-308 DOD OverDrive. My pedals rarely get used however. The problem I have is that the original pick-ups don't sound very great and generates an insane buzz on the dirty channel unless the switch is on postion 2 or 4.