Hey guys. Recently, I started to move to alternate picking (from economy). Well, I guess I'm just stuck on some stuff (just like in economy picking). Sometimes I can do them, sometimes I can't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMWyruBrJk4

This is the lick I'm learning (well, I know it for some time already), and it sounds fantastic. I can nail all the parts before the "going up the scale" (last) part. The tappign and all, it's fine. But in the last shred part, I somehow just don't manage to pick it every time. Sometimes I do it, sometimes I don't.

It seems that I sometimes miss a string, or just fail to properly start picking it, which results in sloppiness. And sometimes, I just nail it. How should I pick that part properly? Just start doing it a bit slower (which I've really done lots of times) and somehow develop a picking technique for that lick? Alexi's hands just seems to glide effortlessly. Should I somehow slide down as I move down the strings?

Thanks. And sorry for all the "sometimes".
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

Definitely slow it down. I guess you should slide your picking hand while you move from one string to another.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
I've come to the same problem many times when learning shred licks. The best thing to do is to isolate the problem. Try playing it at different tempos and locate when and where your picking becomes inaccurate. It could be because your left hand gets going slightly faster than your right hand and when you may even be picking correctly the notes aren't there cuz of the inconsistency between your two hands. It also could be because your used to economy picking and your right hand might sometimes naturally go that direction when playing at fast tempos. Anyway, it could be a lot of things.

Just try and find where the problems are. It can be tedious playing at really slow tempos because the problem probably doesn't show up around there. Try slowly bringing up your speed until you first start to notice problems. Once you identify the tempo where things start going bad, spend most of your time at that speed. This "mid-range" tempo is the best place to build technique.
Okay, thanks guys. I've actually tried to find the problem at higher speeds, but it's irritating that I sometimes nail it like perfectly, do it a few times, and say to myself: shit's nailed. Then tomorrow or a few hours later, I fail at it again.
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

Quote by almosthuman36
I've come to the same problem many times when learning shred licks. The best thing to do is to isolate the problem. Try playing it at different tempos and locate when and where your picking becomes inaccurate. It could be because your left hand gets going slightly faster than your right hand and when you may even be picking correctly the notes aren't there cuz of the inconsistency between your two hands. It also could be because your used to economy picking and your right hand might sometimes naturally go that direction when playing at fast tempos. Anyway, it could be a lot of things.

Just try and find where the problems are. It can be tedious playing at really slow tempos because the problem probably doesn't show up around there. Try slowly bringing up your speed until you first start to notice problems. Once you identify the tempo where things start going bad, spend most of your time at that speed. This "mid-range" tempo is the best place to build technique.

This post is useful.
So, the only real thing to do is practice it slower, while trying to find the mistake? Guess I'll spend the rest of the summer refining my picking up the scale.
Quote by YouTube user

Quote by Smaratelj
So, the only real thing to do is practice it slower, while trying to find the mistake? Guess I'll spend the rest of the summer refining my picking up the scale.

It's not a short process. Alternate picking at that speed is very hard compared to many other techniques at least in my opinion.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by Smaratelj

Right, practicing this lick slowly is the best solution. Practice with a metronome every day. You will be able to play faster and faster.

Remember: It sounds much better slowly and well played than fast and messy
Thanks guys. I'll jump to work.

EDIT: Oh, and when I nail this lick, are the other ones supposed to get a bit easier? Like, will I develop a technique just for this lick, or I'll generally be better?

Thanks.
Quote by YouTube user

Last edited by Smaratelj at Jul 18, 2011,