Hey guys
So I'm writing a new song that I want to have kind of a weird vibe, so i wanted to try playing around with some weird time sigs. Anyone have good suggestions for some unsual meters I could use that aren't complicated to the point it'll just make writing difficult? I was thinking maybe something like some of the meters tool uses.
THanks
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Meters is a god awful expression.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
well if I want a weird vibe I dont just go into a weird time sig, however I like 5/4. not particularly interesting but its slightly unhinged and I like that. also timing is my bigggest shortcoming so I dont need more complications there.
Quote by flashmdg
i have a riff in 21/16

Hm how would that be counted? Something like:
1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a 5 e and a 6 e and a 7 e and a, I would guess?
Rock on or die

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
you should try 7/8. its not really complicated, but it sounds a bit weird, because it's almost 4/4(8/8), only 1/8 short. i don't really know tool that well, but most prog rock uses 7/8 a lot, so it may be like something you are looking for.
Quote by nirvanagrunge13
Hm how would that be counted? Something like:
1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a 5 e and a 6 e and a 7 e and a, I would guess?

its equivalent to 7/8 triplets, kinda like 12/8 is equivalent to 4/4 triplets if you get what i mean?
Quote by reversegenesis
I'm rather fond of writing with alternate bars of 7/8 then 9/8

which is basically just 4/4 with the accent shifted half a beat early. much easier to notate it as such.

i like 5/4 and 7/4. either/or should get you a good effect, but remember that a time signature alone won't give you what you're looking for.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
11/8.

The Mars Volta guys know how to rock it

-----------------------------------------------

Blog (mostly in spanish...)

Current favorite bands:

6. Cave In
5. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
4. Sparta
3. Biffy Clyro
2. Muse
1. Coheed and Cambria
The number part isn't as important as the rhythms and accents you write. Just write without a time signature then apply one later if you want to write weird rhythms without being influenced by fitting into a bar.
Don't write in a weird time signature to be clever, try to actually write something that works in an awkward time signature.
I think 7/8 is good. It feels natural , even though it's odd. think 12,12,123 so it's 3 beats. They just aren't all even.
Quote by Antoine-Øleg
11/8.

The Mars Volta guys know how to rock it

Nice!!!! I remember figuring this out one time. I was sitting down trying to figure out how many beats there was. When it came to 11 I was thinking, "Hang on a sec this can't be right!".
Lately I've been liking 5/4 and 9/8 (with weird accents).
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
I'd agree with the person who said you shouldn't write TO a time signature. Come up with an odd rhythm and then work out what it's in.

At least I'd agree with that for the purposes of songwriting. As an exercise it would be worth exploring different numbered time signatures. I like the effect Jerry Goldsmith achieves in the main theme to Capricorn One, which is in 11/8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjGumnQ1cZ0
yeah, just remember to ignore everybody saying stuff like7/8 is like 4/4 without a quaver! with unusual time signatures, the accents will be different, and often they won't be of the same length. in 4/4 chances are it's 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and but in say 7/8, that could be 1212123 or 1231212 etc. just keep that in mind. don't try to relate it to 4/4 just cos it's only a crotchet off.
5/8+5/8+5/8+6/8
4/4+3/4+4/4+2/4
11/8
15/8
13/16+4/4
13/16+4/4+13/16+9/8

A few that I use in my songs. I also use 21/16 and 19/16 in one of my songs. The first has a dotted quaver beat, kinda like triplet 7/4, and the second has a dotted quaver followed by a simple 4/4 crochet beat. I don't write it as triplet 7/4 because the tempo would be different otherwise when you hit the 19/16 chorus.

I would repeat what others have said: what is important is the beat, otherwise it simply won't flow. Take 13/16 and 4/4. I have it counted as 4+3+3+3, 4+3+3+3+3. It flows because the beat is rather stable, and the switch to 4/4 just requires throwing in an extra dotted quaver beat.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Ok thanks for all the great suggestions just to make sure I'm not screwing up reading it, what exactly does a plus sign mean again?
Rock on or die

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
I just put that there to show the division between bars. So instead of four bars of 4/4, it's three bars of 5/8 followed by one bar of 6/8.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
what is used a bit, but not super often though, is a four barre phrase consisting of three barres of 4/4 and one barre of 3/4.

Ghost Love Score from nightwish does this I believe, its 4/4 4/4 3/4 4/4, its gives a rushed feel kind of, but its pleasant in my opinion
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic