How many of you go to jam sessions? I have been going to them regularly over the last 4 months or so, and I never have as much fun as I do when I'm there. At first, I played a really crap solo and wasn't pleased with it. I wasn't too comfortable playing live and it really put me off. But I got the courage up to start going again and it's amazing. I played Whole Lotta Rosie, Hey Joe, Knockin on Heaven's Door, Highway to Hell and Summer of '69 tonight. Whole Lotta Rosie is such a fun song to play, probably my favourite.

What song do you guys do if you go to them?
what do you mean? jam sessions with who? your band, your mom, your school, your rabbit?
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
I have "Jam sessions" whenever I hang out with my band. Usually ends up in something cool, and if we're lucky, maybe even a new song.
Jazz is where it's at, as long as you can read changes, it doesn't matter what song it is
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
How many of you go to jam sessions? I have been going to them regularly over the last 4 months or so, and I never have as much fun as I do when I'm there. At first, I played a really crap solo and wasn't pleased with it. I wasn't too comfortable playing live and it really put me off. But I got the courage up to start going again and it's amazing. I played Whole Lotta Rosie, Hey Joe, Knockin on Heaven's Door, Highway to Hell and Summer of '69 tonight. Whole Lotta Rosie is such a fun song to play, probably my favourite.

What song do you guys do if you go to them?

Do you have any idea what "jam" is?

A jam session is a musical act where musicians play by improvising without extensive preparation or predefined arrangements.

>> You IMPROVISE, not play learned songs with the band
i go to blues jamsessions all the time, we dont really do songs, at the beginning you just go like, "hey, lets do a slow blues in a minor" and then you jam!! i love to play at sessions like that
^I think it's subjective. The "real" definition of a jam session might be an improvised act, but to many people it means playing music in a group and having fun. My band's jam sessions consist mostly of us playing covers or original songs. The jams (improvisation) we used to have were pretty short. Our other guitarist couldn't improvise, so he would turn his amp off and sit down until we're done. Needless to say, that guy's not part of the band anymore and we improvise a lot more now hahaha.
Jbab
Quote by '93
amazing...you sir deserve a lol stack

Quote by Zeletros
Do you have any idea what "jam" is?

A jam session is a musical act where musicians play by improvising without extensive preparation or predefined arrangements.

>> You IMPROVISE, not play learned songs with the band

Well you obviously don't. You can jam on an already existing song, you know? The people just come in, say what songs they know and then we play it as a very rough cover, adding in solos or extra parts even if they're not in the original. It doesn't have to be made up on the spot
Quote by laid-to-waste
what do you mean? jam sessions with who? your band, your mom, your school, your rabbit?
With John Mayer.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Igor Stravinsky

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
I've been doing some acoustic jams at this coffee shop I frequent. Several guitars, mandolins, and tambourine. Been fun, actually, except its kind of a pain in the ass sometimes with that many people.
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Well you obviously don't. You can jam on an already existing song, you know? The people just come in, say what songs they know and then we play it as a very rough cover, adding in solos or extra parts even if they're not in the original. It doesn't have to be made up on the spot

pretty much. that's often more fun then making up new chord progressions. it's a lot of fun to play the solo sections of Free Bird or Comfortably Numb or whatever for 45 minutes just trading solos back and forth between everyone.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

I repeat,

Quote by Zeletros
I repeat,

Yeah, cause the grateful dead didn't have songs.
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
Quote by Zeletros
I repeat,

No it's not. You can jam to anything, whether it's an already written song or made up on the spot. No one was saying "I'm gunna put a solo here, and then we'll do the chorus twice as an outro". It just happens. You just play. Therefore, it wasn't predefined. Stop trying to make an argument out of nothing. Contribute to the thread constructively or fuck off, either way, I don't give a damn.
Quote by Zeletros
I repeat,

I can read Wikipedia too.

Quote by Wikipedia
A jam session is a musical act where musicians play (i.e. "jam") by improvising without extensive preparation or predefined arrangements.

Jam sessions are often used to develop new material, find suitable arrangements, or simply as a social gathering and communal practice session. Jam sessions may be based upon existing songs or forms, may be loosely based on an agreed chord progression or chart suggested by one participant, or may be wholly improvisational. Jam sessions can range from very loose gatherings of amateurs to sophisticated improvised recording sessions intended to be edited and released to the public.

It helps to read more than just the first sentence.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Jul 17, 2011,
Quote by rockingamer2
I can read Wikipedia too.

It helps to read more than just the first sentence.

BOOM. Bitch got TOLD.

I paid $32.67 for a XBOX 360 and my mom got a 17 inch Toshiba laptop for $94.83 being delivered to our house tomorrow by FedEX. I will never again pay expensive retail prices at stores. I even sold a 46 inch HDTV to my boss for $650 and it only cost me $52.78 to get. Here is the website we using to get all this stuff, BidsGet.com
Quote by Wolfinator-x
With John Mayer.

are you trying to make me jealous?

because it's not working
and even with your jerking,
your lurking
defies the fucking making
of your life

and those who live it

fuck you, man, i live for mayer and he knows it
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
I love jam sessions. The other day I jammed with what is hopefully going to be, my new band. One of the songs we played was Miss You by the Stones and I'm not kidding, we went on an all out at least 25 minute jam of that one song. Along with some Zep and Hendrix tunes. Twas kickass. Twas.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Jam sessions are a waste of time.

No one wants to hear them, and i got playing minor pentatonics over 1,4,5's ages ago.

Playing jazz is cool though.
Quote by spitonastranger
Jam sessions are a waste of time.

No one wants to hear them, and i got playing minor pentatonics over 1,4,5's ages ago.

Playing jazz is cool though.

Does not compute.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
Does not compute.

They're fundamentally different.

Jazz is for fancy people.
Quote by spitonastranger
They're fundamentally different.

Jazz is for fancy people.

No.
Some jam sessions really suck. Because you know, there's always that one moron who self-taught himself drums and plays over EVERYBODY in his own world. But when you've got a chill drummer, bass guitarist, and guitarist and you guys just sorta "click" and find that sweet spot, it's the best feeling in the world.

That got really sexual. I'm so sorry.
I play my guitar like I live life; upside-down.

Gear:
Sender Fratocaster
LTD Phoenix-200
Fender Sonoran
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fender Mustang V 412