First things first, if this is not in the appropriate place, please let me know where to post instead of here and I will do so.

Now, getting right to the point. It's as simple as this: my guitar just doesn't have enough umph in the sound. I don't know what it is, but until recently I've had only that guitar. It hasn't really given off a strong distortion before, but I didn't suspect it was the guitar until a few weeks ago, when I plugged a friend's two guitars into my setup, not changing anything, and it just gave off a good, strong sound. Now, I'm not positive if it's the kind of pick ups in the guitar, or if it's just the guitar is getting old, if that even matters. The guitar I'm playing is a Fender HM Strat, and is from the late 80s/early 90s, I'm not positive the year. He has a Fender Strat with a humbucker, and a Squire tele with the usual set up, the single coil at the bridge, so I don't think that it's a humbucker/single coil problem. But, my main question is, do pick ups wear out over time? Could it be something has just come loose and isn't connecting? And if there are any tips on getting a stronger sound, please let me know! Thanks a ton!
Also, I forgot to mention. My guitar has a humbucker that can switch between humbucker/single coil, but a girl broke the switch off, and I'm pretty sure it's stuck on single coil now.
yeah, that would be the problem - sounds like you have lower output pickups and they are stuck in single coil mode now...replace your pickups and/or fix your coil-tap.