I play with 0.09 strings and I will try something thicker, 0.10.
I just wonder: How is the difference?

Thanx!

(Don't know if this is the right place to post this but whatever)
Last edited by Metal-pro at Jul 17, 2011,
Bit of a thicker tone. But strings will be a bit harder to bend. But it will help against unwanted bends. It will also be better for downtuning (less muddy and less 'flubbery')

I would recommend .10 strings (or thicker if you play a lot of down tunings)
From my experience, switching to higher gauge strings fills the sound of a note out a bit more, but makes requires more strength to do things like aggressive bending and fretting.

While you might not notice a big difference between .9 and .1, if you were to suddenly jump up to .12 or .14 you might notice that you get a tired a bit sooner.

I generally practice with heavier strings on one guitar so that I can keep my fingers strong, and then I'll switch over to something with .9 right at the end of my practice session just for fun. It kind of feels like playing on a cloud in comparison after you've gotten used to the heavies.

I'm not too sure about this one, but it's my understanding that some guitarists like to have heavier gauge strings on their EAD so that they get a rich sound to their power-chords, while using lower gauges on their GBE so that they can still get the aggressive solos.

(edited to fix my sloppy-ass grammer)
Funky c, Funky do
Quote by funky_c

I'm not too sure about this one, but it's my understanding that some guitarists like to have heavier gauge strings on their EAD so that they get a rich sound to their power-chords, while using lower gauges on their GBE so that they can still get the aggressive solos.

(edited to fix my sloppy-ass grammer)

true

if you want this i would recommend ernie ball's skinny top heavy bottom

As far as i can tell by your nickname you're a metal fan and you're probably playing metal aswell.. If you are. I wound definitely recommend these. I've used these for about 1.5 years.
nah, he's playing blues on his strat. Personally, I would just jump into some 11s and get used to them. I honestly cant believe people play with 9s, theyre so skimpy. There isn't much of a difference between 9-10, but 11's will give you a noticeably richer tone.
Youll get used to and start loving them in like a day or two.
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
^ gtfo i've tried on and off for 10 years and i still prefer 9s

if you play a lot of lead it's definitely easier with 9s (assuming you're used to 9s).

also thicker strings don't sound better, they sound different. you may or may not prefer it.

by all means try it but don't listen to the idiots who act like they're something wrong with you if you're playing 9s. There's not. An awful lot of big name players use really, really light strings. Guys who can play us under the table.

the one thing i find hilarious (well i would if it weren't so annoying) is that an awful lot of the time, the same people who say that playing quickly is stupid because music isn't a sport act like you're a wuss if you use 9s.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I tried 11's and I didn't like them at all. They really made my fingers hurt faster and it was harder to bend the strings. I still use 9's.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
^Im guessing you used them for a day or two? You kinda have to get used to them..
It's like bumping up the weight on a bench press. Youre going to have to build the muscle before it's normal.

and Dave we're talking about his strat, Im pretty sure he's not playing metal on his strat...

No one said shit about 9s being for pussys. I cant believe people use them because IMO theyre whiny and there isnt a very much room for the thick strat tone with light strings.

But I play 13s so im a big hard man.
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Last edited by SKArface McDank at Jul 17, 2011,
i still have 10s on a bunch of my guitars, i haven't got round to changing them.

yes, i've got used to them to a certain extent (i.e. i can play with them), but I don't much like it. I feel like i've had a workout when i just want to play guitar. Personally i want my guitars to play as easily as possible to help me, lol.

oh i just realised you were talking to him. Still, the point stands, there's no guarantee you'll get used to it and prefer it- you might or you might not.

I never mentioned metal, I mentioned lead. Loads of people play lead on a strat.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Something to think about when using thicker strings is that you'll also get more tension along the neck. Again, not quite sure about the specifics here, but but I've heard this might cause your neck to go out of alignment a bit faster if you're doing something crazy like using .14s

As for the recurring discussion about tone, surely there's enough flexibility in amp and pedal settings to fit whatever minor nuance a string change will make
Funky c, Funky do
Quote by SKArface McDank
^Im guessing you used them for a day or two? You kinda have to get used to them..
It's like bumping up the weight on a bench press. Youre going to have to build the muscle before it's normal.

and Dave we're talking about his strat, Im pretty sure he's not playing metal on his strat...

No one said shit about 9s being for pussys. I cant believe people use them because IMO theyre whiny and there isnt a very much room for the thick strat tone with light strings.

But I play 13s so im a big hard man.

Yeah, I guess it wasn't that bad. But I still like 9's better.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Thank you UGs! Really helpful advices
Different opinions I see...
...But I will go for .10. Just have to try it, sounds good for me.

And yes, I play metal on my strat, thanx to the BOSS ME-25 But my strat is a very versatile guitar so I may play a lot of different genres. Blues as well.
Last edited by Metal-pro at Jul 17, 2011,
Since when I started playing electric guitar I pretty much always used 10's. I experimented with 9's and they felt too light to me, I tried 11's and they've been a bit too much for me, especially when bending.
Though soon I'm trying a hybrid set of 9's and 10's since now I have a guitar with longer scale length and I'd like slightly less tension on the top strings while keeping in the tightness on the lower ones. Might go back to regular 10's though afterwards like always.
Quote by funky_c
Something to think about when using thicker strings is that you'll also get more tension along the neck. Again, not quite sure about the specifics here, but but I've heard this might cause your neck to go out of alignment a bit faster if you're doing something crazy like using .14s

As for the recurring discussion about tone, surely there's enough flexibility in amp and pedal settings to fit whatever minor nuance a string change will make

'ts what a truss rod is for :P
I have 13s on my strat and my neck is super straight
- Carl Sagan
Last edited by SKArface McDank at Jul 17, 2011,
I've always though Yngwie's tone on the Rising Force was plenty fat, and he was using .008s. I've never heard any blues players criticising BB King's tone. He uses .008s. Same goes for Billy Gibbons.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
another thing to remember is that the scale of the guitar will also have an effect on how the strings feel. 10's don't feel the same on a les paul as they do on a strat. you can probably jump up to 10-46 strings without having to set up your guitar and just see how you like them. I think if you move up to 11's or higher then a set up will probably be a good idea.
Yes I do, Ive never seen a set without a wound G. Tuners won't hold them at all, even locking tuners.
I have GFS sperzels on my strat and It could never hold the unwound G from a set of 12s, so I wouldnt suggest the unwound on a set of 13s
- Carl Sagan
if you're playing 9's and you think they sound whimpy, you're hitting the strings too hard. turn your amp up, there are many other things you can do to achieve thicker tone, than using 13s. 10s, using lots of volume and picking softly you can expect a big sound. theres a lot you can do to get a "thick" sound from your guitar than putting 13 gauge strings.

GFS tuners aren't the best quality, but if you get vintage kluson style slotted tuners, i don't think you'll experience the strings not being held.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I keep my Strat in Eb with 10's. They feel great, great tone. Overall I feel like it brings the guitar more to life. Makes it more thick sounding.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W