i guess this is some sort of rant. Will probably get some hate for this.

I never really understood the necessity for a lyric critique forum. The reason is because i need to hear the lyrics in context with the music to hear if they work or not. Something that may seem a little simple when reading can sound great in context with music.

the second reason is that there is no melody to work from. Someone reading the lyrics will not know how everything fits in with the melody, so they will make suggestions that will throw the melody and structure off.

I might offend a bunch of people by saying this, but lyrics on their own with no music......isn't a song. It's just a bunch of words on paper. It has more in common with a poem, but not quite. I always use the example of Bernie Taupin. While he is a great writer, it was the need for Elton John to make what Bernie had, come alive. That is what most people connect to.
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
I often post lyrics for critique simply to see if I'm being too vague. If no one knows what the hell they're about, it's usually a sign that I need to be more direct. It's also nice just to get feedback on the words. In my opinion, if lyrics can't evoke emotion without the music, they aren't very good. Music should help the lyrics, not make or break them.

Less than 10% of the threads in the S&L forum are lyrics anyway. It's usually flooded with miscellaneous poems.

EDIT: But more to the point, yes, I agree that it's impossible to get a completely accurate critique on a song based on the lyrics alone, especially when it comes to flow.
Last edited by Winter Sky at Jul 17, 2011,
And Stories. I like the points that you are making, but exactly what Winter Sky said. Or I write my joke lyrics and put 'em on anyway.
I get where you coming from. I feel the same a little bit. But Like the first reply said. Getting feedback on whether its too vague etc... I know I posted one on here a few weeks ago, and I was told its too vague... so, it does help !
no one really knows what paul simon talks about in his songs, but that doesn't mean the songs are bad.

I don't know, to me it is the sound of the music that captures me. I don't pay attention to lyrics until i'm captured by the sound and melody. Even if the lyrics end up being bad, i still like it anyways because of melody, etc
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
that's true.
there isn't one specific thing that makes a song good. you could have pretty terrible lyrics and still have a good sounding song.
look at AC/DC, for instance. their lyrics aren't very good. (hell, I don't even think their music is that great) but people love them!

there are really only a few songwriters whose work I wouldn't mind reading on a page. Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, and early Paul Simon come to mind.