So, its seems I'm on a train of bad luck with my gear lately, and my amp (Fender Deville 212) has taken a dive. I recently brought it to a friend's house, and upon bringing it back to my house today it seems the amp is broken. We only played for maybe two hours total, and everything was fine. Anyway, I'm getting serious crossover distortion, all sorts of crackling etc on the clean channel and on the drive channel I get the addition of an awful whirring noise. My first thought is that something must have come loose or snapped somewhere in transit, though I was very gentle, and transported it in its ATA case. I suppose its possible that (a) tube(s) has/have died but it seems unlikely at this point in time.

Thoughts?
PRS SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender CD220CE Acoustic-Electric
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 60w
Could be a tube problem, they're very fragile, and may have cracked or broken in transit. Look at them and see if you can notice any problems.
Where's Waldo?
I've taken off the back covering and inspected the tubes, felt them over for cracks etc but nothing seems inherently wrong (not that the naked eye is the best for this). is there any tell tale sign I should look for? I'm bringing my acoustic to the shop on Monday anyway, so if I can't figure the problem out I'll just bring this thing with me.
Ibanez RG2EX1
You could try turning it on, and looking at the tubes, if one of them seems to be glowing wrong-ish you'll know. Just make sure not to stand right next to it because they can be dangerous.
Where's Waldo?
If you have some kind of multifx you can jack into the FX return and see if the problem stays or goes away. That way you've narrowed the issue to either the preamp or the power amp. Unless it's a power supply filter cap.
It looks like one of the power amp tubes isn't glowing, and only V3 is glowing for the preamp tubes. V1 and V2, I can't really tell as there's a foam cover surrounding them, but it doesn't look like they're glowing either.
Ibanez RG2EX1
Yeah, let them run for a little. Playing them on high volumes would heat them up aswell, but since your amp currently sounds like a deer's ass in a toaster with blueberries, I wouldn't advise it.
Where's Waldo?
I'll let it sit on standby for a little and let you know. somethings to add: the contrast between the two power amp tubes is really stark. The first glows a very distinct orangish while the other one remains clear at any angle. when I switch standby off, I'm greeted by humming (nothing in the input) and crackling, along with a noise I can only compare to a blaster rifle or some other laser gun that will sound intermittently and at various volumes. Taking it off standby induces a loud "pop" that wasn't there before this problem arose.

edit: I have determined that the reverb pot is controlling the laser/whirring noise, setting it to 0 removes said noise.
Ibanez RG2EX1
Last edited by arunawayslave at Jul 17, 2011,
sorry for the double post, but this is significant: the reverb pot is causing all of the problems. set to 0 the amp returns to perfect/normal operating conditions, perfect sound etc. anywhere above 0 the problem persists.

so, now what?
Ibanez RG2EX1
Quote by arunawayslave
sorry for the double post, but this is significant: the reverb pot is causing all of the problems. set to 0 the amp returns to perfect/normal operating conditions, perfect sound etc. anywhere above 0 the problem persists.

so, now what?

You could try just buying a new pot and switching them out. They're a whole five dollars or whatever.

http://www.warmoth.com/Potentiometers-C74.aspx
Where's Waldo?
Last edited by chadreed32 at Jul 17, 2011,
I've had issues with popping when the solder joint between a pot and the circuit board was cracked and needed reflowing.