Hi UG people! My first thread.

I've had this on my mind for quite a while now. I've been playing guitar for less than 2 years and it's my only true passion(well obviously music as art form as well). I am, no question, the best player between my friends, but this does not seem to mean anything in the sens that they really suck.

I'm totally self taught(books and internet) and I'm truly giving it as much as I can between school and well, general life(I'm age 17). But I wonder... Do I still stand a chance in the music business or even just in a local band?

I mean guitar is probably one of the most popular instruments ever and therefor there is a MASSIVE amount of competition to worry about. So a guise what I'm asking, is do us young new guitarists stand a chance in the world out there while only being self taught, playing a cheap guitar but still loving the f**k out of everything that is guitar and good music? And, to advanced players, what does it take to make it? Are other players in the same situation?
Making it in the music business is hardly about skill with your instrument. It's what you bring to the table and how you sell yourself that counts.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Prepare to be rejected by everyone because they, "already have a guitar player."
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Yeah. There are amazing guitarists that haven't made it big, just because they haven't "sold out" (this applies more to bands I guess), they don't appear on MTV and such. I'd do that (play without selling out), and probably will. As long as I get enough money to survive.

Oh, and how much practice (playing) a day (or week) do you manage to do?
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

Last edited by Smaratelj at Jul 17, 2011,
Do stuff. Don't just sit around and wait for shit to happen.

In other words, be proactive.
Last edited by BenRaah at Jul 17, 2011,
Be prepared to not retain 100% of your integrity. If you go around looking for your niche, and saying no to everything and everyone that isn't totally your taste then you will get nowhere at all.
There's no music industry any more, it's the music business these days. The difference being, the hard work has been replaced by a need for money and selling shit. If you won't appeal to a large enough audience that will reap what the labels sow, then you won't make it.
Another thing: Covers will get you nowhere.

If you wanna make it, start writing.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by ?happy?

I mean guitar is probably one of the most popular instruments ever and therefor there is a MASSIVE amount of competition to worry about.

If you see it as a football game, you'll lose. If you see it as art, you'll do better.

And don't be afraid to just do shit on your own.
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
It's nice to see people being encouraging instead of the usual "don't bother trying, it won't happen". Being in a locally famous band shouldn't be too hard at all. Play as many pubs as you can as often as you can and try your best to get your name out. However, locally famous bands pretty much have to do covers of popular songs. You gotta play what people wanna hear.
Quote by ?happy?
Hi UG people! My first thread.

I've had this on my mind for quite a while now. I've been playing guitar for less than 2 years and it's my only true passion(well obviously music as art form as well). I am, no question, the best player between my friends, but this does not seem to mean anything in the sens that they really suck.

I'm totally self taught(books and internet) and I'm truly giving it as much as I can between school and well, general life(I'm age 17). But I wonder... Do I still stand a chance in the music business or even just in a local band?

I mean guitar is probably one of the most popular instruments ever and therefor there is a MASSIVE amount of competition to worry about. So a guise what I'm asking, is do us young new guitarists stand a chance in the world out there while only being self taught, playing a cheap guitar but still loving the f**k out of everything that is guitar and good music? And, to advanced players, what does it take to make it? Are other players in the same situation?

Jimmy Hendrix got his first guitar when he was 15.
Rusty Cooley got his first guitar when he was 15.
Last edited by jani92jani at Jul 17, 2011,
Quote by jani92jani

Hey, I learned to masturbate when I was 15 too!
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
Quote by Cap'n Braid
Hey, I learned to masturbate when I was 15 too!

May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps

It wouldn't have been funny if I told the truth.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Another thing: Covers will get you nowhere.

If you wanna make it, start writing.

Yep, pretty much this.

Be in the public!
- make a new youtube account
- upload your stuff
- MEET OTHER MUSICIANS (very important!)
- play at open mics
- practice everyday
- ask other people if they need someone for the guitar track
- ??????
- PROFIT!!!
Quote by jani92jani
Jimmy Hendrix got his first guitar when he was 15.

I read that Zappa was 18 when he got his first guitar.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I read that Zappa was 18 when he got his first guitar.

Yes, but "by his final year [of high school], he was writing, arranging and conducting avant-garde performance pieces for the school orchestra."

Damn.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
It gets said all the time, but don't work toward a career in music exclusively. It's a great thing to do on the side and it's totally encouraged. Who knows, you might get a lucky break and end up actually getting to do it for a living. You said you had some friends who played, well get them together and start a band!

Also, being technically good doesn't mean shit. There are probably some people on here who can blow Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton out of the water, but they haven't made it anywhere. I'm not saying being technically good is bad, because I have a huge amount of respect for anyone who put enough work into it to become that good, but there's a lot more to it than just being good.
Quote by IommiPage
It gets said all the time, but don't work toward a career in music exclusively. It's a great thing to do on the side and it's totally encouraged. Who knows, you might get a lucky break and end up actually getting to do it for a living. You said you had some friends who played, well get them together and start a band!

Also, being technically good doesn't mean shit. There are probably some people on here who can blow Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton out of the water, but they haven't made it anywhere. I'm not saying being technically good is bad, because I have a huge amount of respect for anyone who put enough work into it to become that good, but there's a lot more to it than just being good.

Ye If it would be just about being a good musician Shawn Lane would have been a biljonare.
tl;dr

peace the f*ck out.
your whisper may sway the weak, but when i speak it roars the seas