I want to buy a new amp because I've got an MG15 CDR (needless to say why I want a new one), and I find the Marshall Class 5 one with the tone I'm looking for (I mostly play Cream and Led Zeppelin)

But I want to know more about it from an owner's point of view;

How is its durability? Is it an amp that needs to be treated with "special care" or is it solid as a tank?
How does it go with pedals? (Wah for example)

And most important of all, are you happy with it? Did it live up to your expectations?

Thank you for any answer!
Well it's made in England, so you've eliminated little kids building it, if thats what your talking about.

I am thinking of getting one, because I like the Plexi, but want a combo for home use. From what I saw in the store, it is made pretty good like most tube amps from marshall.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Well it's made in England, so you've eliminated little kids building it, if thats what your talking about.

I am thinking of getting one, because I like the Plexi, but want a combo for home use. From what I saw in the store, it is made pretty good like most tube amps from marshall.

Well I'm not expecting anything else from Marshall ;D Still, the MG did disappoint me...
It's loud as balls because of no master volume but I've often heard it compared to the Bluesbreaker. You might want to run it with an attenuator.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I've heard enthusiastic praise and hate for the Class 5. I've played with one briefly for about 15 minutes and my short impression is it has a nice dirty sound, but the clean wasn't as clean as I'd like. I've heard they're built pretty tough, though.
Quote by katalyzt13
I've heard enthusiastic praise and hate for the Class 5. I've played with one briefly for about 15 minutes and my short impression is it has a nice dirty sound, but the clean wasn't as clean as I'd like. I've heard they're built pretty tough, though.

But I guess the clean channel would be ok with a pedal, right?
Quote by Raijouta
It's loud as balls because of no master volume but I've often heard it compared to the Bluesbreaker. You might want to run it with an attenuator.

The Bluesbreaker pedal?
Quote by Evenafe

There isn't really a pedal to make the clean channel cleaner...it isn't bad, but it isn't what I look for in a clean channel. You may like it. A good EQ pedal might make the cleans a little better. I usually buy an amp for the clean channel, then use pedals to get the dirty tones I want if the amp doesn't do it well.
Quote by Evenafe

it's only single channel

Quote by Evenafe
The Bluesbreaker pedal?

no the bluesbreaker amp
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Evenafe
The Bluesbreaker pedal?

Look up the BitMo Mods 10-uator. You need something like that to get the volume lower for bedroom practice, etc.
Quote by katalyzt13
There isn't really a pedal to make the clean channel cleaner...it isn't bad, but it isn't what I look for in a clean channel. You may like it. A good EQ pedal might make the cleans a little better. I usually buy an amp for the clean channel, then use pedals to get the dirty tones I want if the amp doesn't do it well.

Well I'm not directly after the clean sound though, it is that dirty rock tone sound I want, so the clean doesn't have to be perfect, but as long I'm able to play with clean sound without a huge amount of distortion in the backround, I'm happy
The MG was designed as a practise amp. The lower wattage ones anyway. They are good amps for the price and what they are meant for. Having said that, if you have an MG that is over 20 watts or you use one for gigging, you should be ashamed and you should feel bad.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
The MG was designed as a practise amp. The lower wattage ones anyway. They are good amps for the price and what they are meant for. Having said that, if you have an MG that is over 20 watts or you use one for gigging, you should be ashamed and you should feel bad.

The MG was the first amp I got, I thought it was great at first (I loved Metallica at that time, so more distortion the better), but then I got into Led Zep and when I tried to tweak the amp to sound like Jimmy Page, I realised this wouldn't do, so I bought a pedal (BD-2 Blues Driver) but it sounded just as bad through the amp (It's a great pedal, a shame it doesn't have any effect at this time tho)

TL;DR: MG is good for starters I guess, but not really great to get a controlled tone
But back to the question(s) anyone else care to share their experience with the Class 5?
The Class 5 is OK.

If you want one I'd say get the head and a decent little 1x12 or 2x12 cab, the 10 inch speaker in the combo doesn't sound too great.

Alternatively you could get a Blackheart BH-15, nice little amp and doesn't sound as muddy as the Class 5 to me. I could only get the Class 5 to sound non-muffled with the treble almost maxed, the bass at almost zero and the mids somewhere in between.
Last edited by JesusCrisp at Jul 17, 2011,
Quote by JesusCrisp
The Class 5 is OK.

If you want one I'd say get the head and a decent little 1x12 or 2x12 cab, the 10 inch speaker in the combo doesn't sound too great.

Alternatively you could get a Blackstar BH-15, nice little amp and doesn't sound as muddy as the Class 5 to me. I could only get the Class 5 to sound non-muffled with the treble almost maxed, the bass at almost zero and the mids somewhere in between.

But price wise I want the Class 5 (I'm a student), most of the interesting Blackstar amps are a bit expensive
Quote by Evenafe
But price wise I want the Class 5 (I'm a student), most of the interesting Blackstar amps are a bit expensive

I think he meant Blackheart, since Blackstar doesn't manufacture a 15w amp, and not one with the name scheme "BH".
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Evenafe

Oh damn, I typed Blackstar.

I meant Blackheart amps.
The BH-15 is I think even cheaper than the Class 5, while doing that Marshally rock sound pretty much as good, if not even better than the Class 5.
As already said, I found the Class 5 combo kinda muddy without extreme EQ-ing.
Quote by JesusCrisp
Oh damn, I typed Blackstar.

I meant Blackheart amps.
The BH-15 is I think even cheaper than the Class 5, while doing that Marshally rock sound pretty much as good, if not even better than the Class 5.
As already said, I found the Class 5 combo kinda muddy without extreme EQ-ing.

Well I might consider that though, it's great that it's cheaper, but I gotta check it out on YouTube
Hey, I have a Marshall Class 5. I usually like Fender-ish cleans, but I really wanted that classic-rock overdrive/distortion. If this is what you want, you should definitely get a Class 5. However, I heard to cut costs, all the components are mounted on pretty thin aluminum. I'm not an expert or anything, but I think this makes it a little less sturdy than higher end UK amps.

I usually play with the low output switch as I'm living in a small townhouse then dorm. The cleans will not stay clean at gigging volumes, but it is quite warm and nice at lower volumes IMO. I'm led to believe that it takes pedals very well though (still saving up for some new ones)
Quote by joehok1
Hey, I have a Marshall Class 5. I usually like Fender-ish cleans, but I really wanted that classic-rock overdrive/distortion. If this is what you want, you should definitely get a Class 5. However, I heard to cut costs, all the components are mounted on pretty thin aluminum. I'm not an expert or anything, but I think this makes it a little less sturdy than higher end UK amps.

I usually play with the low output switch as I'm living in a small townhouse then dorm. The cleans will not stay clean at gigging volumes, but it is quite warm and nice at lower volumes IMO. I'm led to believe that it takes pedals very well though (still saving up for some new ones)

Great reply man, just what I wanted to hear ;D I guess the price is low because of that aluminium stuff, but thats probs the price I've got to pay for the great tone
I can't really comment on durability and whatnot, since I've only played it and not owned it. We have one at the shop I work at. I think it's the best sounding new Marshall we have in stock. We have a used Plexi and I prefer that to the Class 5. But the Class 5 has a very nice tone. Not really versatile, but it does what it does very well.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Yeah, I listened to what a lot of people suggested. Turn the bass all the way down and turn the treble and middle all the way up. In terms of variety of sounds it is pretty low. It does sort of the low overdrive Hendrix-y tone pretty well in my opinion. Also, it has the high overdrive Led Zeppelin tones all there.

One thing that helped me in choosing this one-trick pony so to say is the variety of tones my guitar has. I have a PRS McCarty that has great vintage humbuckers, and then coil taps for cleaner sounds.
Quote by 3074326
I can't really comment on durability and whatnot, since I've only played it and not owned it. We have one at the shop I work at. I think it's the best sounding new Marshall we have in stock. We have a used Plexi and I prefer that to the Class 5. But the Class 5 has a very nice tone. Not really versatile, but it does what it does very well.

So you haven't had any customers that have returned because of the tubes or something?
I owned one for a week and really wanted to love it but not so much..I detected the "rattle" and seemed to me like it's an issue of weak components and cabinet for the power. There wasn't a lack of that for sure. Maybe the tube sockets or something? Pretty hard to get the most out of this amp at home levels without using a pedal also but I do realize its a case of Class A and no master vol. Curious if they ever did get the rattle issue fixes and I'm guessing the new Class 5 head might be a better way with seperate cab..

Got a DSL 401 and threw in a hellatone 60 and new JJ's and really love it!
Great amp, great quality. I think it sounds awesome but I'd only buy if I already had a gigging amp. I'm sure this thing could tear it up in the studio though.
Quote by Evenafe
So you haven't had any customers that have returned because of the tubes or something?

No, but we haven't sold many. Most looking at combos in that price range go for Fender. Not a huge market for low-watt, one channel combos where I live.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex