Hello UG ppl... i just realized that im holding the pick diffrent than everyone else... or at least the last few teachers i checked out on youtube... ive been playing for 2 and a half year and i am selfteached... i am holding the pick with 3 fingers instead of... im kinda adding my middle finger. can this become a problem for my playing? and if so.. what should i then do? Thanks
It could very well make tapping quite difficult, personally I would advise you to stick to just using two fingers since it opens up tapping and hybrid picking options in future.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
man, I would say that if it isn't hindering you in any way then more power to you. If you were into hybrid picking it would be an issue, but otherwise I don't see any problems.
Quote by SilverSpurs616
Look at the way Marty Friedman holds the pick. You'll be alright as long as it isn't causing you any pain

Ignore this. Friedman has to change the way he picks to play the old Megadeth riffs, it can't be that good. It works for him because he's always done it that way and he never taps or hybrid picks; I would advise someone to stay well away from the way he works physically.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
That is how I pick, with my thumb, index, and middle. This comes from how I write, which I learned with 3 fingers instead of 2. Ive gotten used to it. Tapping is easy, I just tuck the pick away under my fingers, though hybrid picking is a little awkward. Don't worry about it, you'll be fine.
Where's Waldo?
Thats exactly how i do too! and ive never really had any problems with tapping. but can this make me than i would be if i holded the pick ''normaly''
Quote by Pete-V
but can this make me than i would be if i holded the pick ''normaly''

I believe you have forgotten a word, good sir.

Is it "better"?
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
I believe you have forgotten a word, good sir.

Is it "better"?

I meant slower or weaker (;
Quote by Pete-V
I meant slower or weaker (;

No, it has no effect on me at all. I actually play better because I have my other finger there to hold the pick straight. I see a lot of people who play with standard 2 finger picking technique who have to constantly re position the pick. And when I do need to re position after a long time, my other finger can just move it while I'm still playing.
Where's Waldo?
I don't quite see the problem, i've been playing for 6-7 years now and i always hold my pick with 3 fingers, gives me an awesome amount of power that i wouldn't be able to get with 2. Tapping is not a problem, i just take my middle finger off to tap then back on when i pick. Now i've never done hybrid picking so i'm not sure how it effects that but i'd say if 3 fingers works then don't change it, gives you hell of alot more control with you tremolo pick aswell
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It could very well make tapping quite difficult, personally I would advise you to stick to just using two fingers since it opens up tapping and hybrid picking options in future.

This.
Quote by headfirst
I don't quite see the problem, i've been playing for 6-7 years now and i always hold my pick with 3 fingers, gives me an awesome amount of power that i wouldn't be able to get with 2. Tapping is not a problem, i just take my middle finger off to tap then back on when i pick. Now i've never done hybrid picking so i'm not sure how it effects that but i'd say if 3 fingers works then don't change it, gives you hell of alot more control with you tremolo pick aswell

Not inherently, it works for you because you've practiced it but a lot of really aggressive pickers hold the pick with two fingers so it's not the extra finger that's doing that for you, it's just your style of playing.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.