My guitar is a washburn x-series and I'm thinking about putting 11-54-gauge strings on and using a wound g, my question is if I get a tech to set everything up for e standard will I be able to switch between E and stuff as low as B without any problems?
If you go all the way down to B your neck is going to flatten out heaps and it'll buzz pretty badly on the first few frets I would think. A better gauge for doing that would be 10-52, as you aren't dealing with as huge amounts of tension.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
No.

Such big changes in tuning result in equally big changes in string-tension, which will screw up your neck-bow and intonation. Your guitar would play and sound like crap. You don't necessarily need a wound g for such low tunings btw, but I'd rather have a heavier low-e (or low-b, in your case), than a 54. I like 60 and up. Matter of taste though.

You need a second guitar, simple as.
Yea it will work for E standard, but you are going to have problems with dropped tunings. That's just how guitars are.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by TheQuailman
No.

Such big changes in tuning result in equally big changes in string-tension, which will screw up your neck-bow and intonation. Your guitar would play and sound like crap. You don't necessarily need a wound g for such low tunings btw, but I'd rather have a heavier low-e (or low-b, in your case), than a 54. I like 60 and up. Matter of taste though.

You need a second guitar, simple as.

A second guitar, or a 7-string guitar.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

looks like a seven-string is probably the way to go then, thanks heaps for the heads up about the problems