Hey people,

Tomorrow I'm leaving my three beautiful guitars for 2 weeks. As I am going on holiday to Turkey.
The previous times I've gone on holiday, I would put my guitars in their cases, and slacken all the strings (to stop tension on the neck).

Has anyone got any better solutions on how I should leave them? I would hate to come back and see/hear that something's gone wrong due to the way I left them.

Thanks

Ovation 1771AX
Roland GK-3
Roland GR-20
Boss DS-1
Boss PS-6

Leave them just the way they are now? Nothing's gonna happen to them except maybe get a little dusty.
There's no reason to slacken the strings unless you want to come back and spent two days adjusting truss rods. Just toss a sheet over them so they don't get dusty.
Quote by jpnyc
There's no reason to slacken the strings unless you want to come back and spent two days adjusting truss rods. Just toss a sheet over them so they don't get dusty.

This
Have fun in Turkey, it's a beautiful place. I went there and was greeted buy protesters marching through the streets chanting "Yankee go home" and pounding their fists, but I still loved it. Bought a leather coat
Quote by W4RP1G
Have fun in Turkey, it's a beautiful place. I went there and was greeted buy protesters marching through the streets chanting "Yankee go home" and pounding their fists, but I still loved it. Bought a leather coat

He's not American though, I'm sure he'll be fine. Just carry something that indicates you're not American and people won't mind.

Anyways, it's only 2 weeks, it's not a long time. I've only heard of people slackening their strings when they don't plan on touching their guitars for many, many years. Two weeks is nothing. Just leave the guitars in their case or bag, and you should be fine.
Thanks for the advice guys

@W4RP1g Aha, shame i wasnt welcomed like that I was welcomed by a load of mosquitos, and a taxi driver who knows how to keep you awake at 3:00am, by making you feel like you're about to die every turn! :p

Ovation 1771AX
Roland GK-3
Roland GR-20
Boss DS-1
Boss PS-6

I don't understand the logic behind this. String tension counteracts neck tension. If you have the tensions balanced (strung up, in tune), why would you want to change that? Guitars are meant to have that tension, or else the neck can get messed up.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Two weeks? Nothing to worry about. Two months? Still nothing. Two years? Maybe check that they are someplace where the average humidity will stay between 35-65%. Nothing else to worry about. Oh, and after two years of storage, you should really consider putting on new strings.
Last edited by RebuildIt at Jul 17, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
I don't understand the logic behind this. String tension counteracts neck tension. If you have the tensions balanced (strung up, in tune), why would you want to change that? Guitars are meant to have that tension, or else the neck can get messed up.

^
This
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
i say you should leave them just the way they are. that's what i do with my guitar when i go on vacation and i've never had any problems with it so far
Quote by jpnyc

+1

if anything arguably slacking the strings is a bad idea because the truss rod is there to counteract the strings' pull on the neck. if you slacken the strings and don't adjust the truss rod to compensate you're arguably doing more harm than good.

and even if you do go through all that rigmarole you're arguably just giving yourself work for the sake of it.

I mean the climate in the UK is fairly benign. Two weeks go by with my not playing some of my guitars all the time. They're fine. At least, I think they are.

EDIT: ah beaten to it, everyone else was saying this too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 18, 2011,
Just put them in the case and leave them with me.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Leave them the contact info for how to reach you in Turkey. Also the phone numbers for the neighbors and the local police and fire stations. Tell them to bring in the mail every day and water the plants. Tell them no television after dinner and to clean their rooms. And above all no visitors! They are not to have their friends over trashing the place.

That should cover it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Darkflame
I got 10 guitars on a rack right now, some of them have been there for years, and I barely play my Ibanezes lol... the necks are still straight as a wall

Guitar necks aren't meant to be perfectly straight. There's meant to be a very slight curve in them
for long term storage you always want to keep you guitar straight up, on a wall hanger or something.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED