I have a Peavey 6505 head with a Marshall AVT slant cab... I'd like to upgrade my cab, but am on a $300-$400 budget (I buy used, so consider that)

So a few inexpensive cabs I found are:

Peavey Supreme XL 412 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/peavey-supreme-xl-412-4x12-amp-cabinet)

Marshall MA412 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/marshall-ma-series-ma412-guitar-speaker-cabinet)

Or any other suggestions? Thanks.
instead of a new cabinet you should just replace the speakers in the one you already own
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
If you can hold out $50 more bucks, I'd get a Whitebox 2x12. Or maybe an Avatar 2x12. Unless you absolutely need a 4x12. But you won't find a good one for that price.

And be aware that cab construction and dimensions can change your sound. So a Mesa 4x12 with V30s is going to sound a bit different than an AVT 4x12 with V30s.
Last edited by Ignite at Jul 17, 2011,
DON'T change the speakers in an AVT cab, an AVT cab is tiny compared to a regular 4x12, it will just sound terrible compared to what it should.

At lower volumes the AVT isnt half bad, ive done some good recordings with it. But for the dimensions and particle board construction, its just not worth replacing the speakers.

If you was from the UK id suggest the Harley Benton 2x12 with V30's from thomann, perfect cheap upgrade, perfect speakers for your use.
Just go with something like an Avatar 2x12 or similar, a 4x12 isn't worth the extra money when you could spend less and get a higher quality better sounding, equally loud and easier to transport cab for the same money as a crappy 4x12
Mesa/Boogie Studio Pre | Marshall EL34 50/50 Power | Harley Benton 2x12 V30's

How do you like, your mids in the morning?
^ That'd be the most bang for your buck as that cab costs less than 2 actual V30's.

If you don't live in the UK, thomann.de apparently ships internationally or something, and their shipping is cheap under a certain price.

The total of a shipped Harley Benton 2x12 with V30's is only about $270 according to.... everyone that's done it.

So if you want cheap and good, that's the way to go.
Last edited by Ignite at Jul 17, 2011,
Out of those 2, the Peavey, but I'd suggest saving up more money if you want a good 4x12. The only good cabs that fit your budget are going to be 2x12 or 1x12.
Telling us where you live would be a good plan.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Telling us where you live would be a good plan.

That sounds almost creepy

but yes TS, your location would help us out in finding you a cab for your budget. Prices are different everywhere.
Chicago.

Any comparisons from the AVT to the two cabs that I mentioned above?

Also, I do need a 4 speaker cab
you should save your money and buy a used Mesa or something. you can usually find them on craigslist for $400-$700.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
Quote by ArmyOfTigers
Also, I do need a 4 speaker cab

Why?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Jet City cabs...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores