And no, I'm not just going "hey, what's an easy quick-tip fix for learning how to play this fast and learning this song?"

What I'm asking is for any tips or any helpful ways to getting to the point of learning this song (because I just plain love it). I've been playing mostly acoustic things for a while now except I'm finally get enough money to buy an electric guitar so I want to get into learning how to play one.

I'd gladly accept any assistance on the picking, any helpful warm-ups or exercises in getting to that point, or anything at all that'll help.

Don't get me wrong: I may be asking for help, but I'm willing to put in as much effort and time as it'll take me. I'm sure that anything that aids me in learning this song will help me fundamentally in learning how to play the electric guitar. I'm just looking for a little assistance on getting there.
Split the song into parts and learn each part separately very slow and absolutely perfect. As you start getting the song down up your speed a little until you get to the point you have it down.
How do you play it? Very carefully.

In all seriousness, Quesenek has the right idea. A metronome is your friend.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
Quote by Tsunami3000
I recommend selling your soul to the Devil. that works for most folks

Dumb. Everyone knows Robert Johnson wasn't the bluesman in cahoots with Satan, that was John Mayer (seriously, getting people to believe that a white guy from Connecticut can play blues has got to be the devil's work).

Ranting aside, Quesenek knows what's up. Whenever I encounter a song I can't play, that's my method of choice. I forgo the metronome, but that's really dumb on my part. Don't be like me.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
triface im guessing...and if thats true...umm good ****ing luck that song and acid rain are some petruccis most challenging works....

EDIT: totally forgot that if this is your first electric guitar....you have no idea whats up..you need to practice 3 hours a day for about 2 good years. until you can begin to learn that song along practicing those hours learn lots of music theory get a good instructor not just any instructor (one with the same musical tastes etc..)

unless this is NOT the paradigm shift by LTE
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Last edited by GoodOl'trashbag at Jul 19, 2011,