I've recently started learning and writing some songs that require me to switch between a clean and dirty sound while I'm playing and I'm wondering if I should get a footswitch to switch channels on my classic 30, a distortion pedal or an overdrive. I like the distortion on my amp but I'm thinking it might be nice to have another dirty sound to use. I will only buy one of these for a while so don't say get one of each. My budget is $100 or less and I like to play classic rock, punk, ska, alternative and a little bit of metal (Judas Priest, Metallica and Iron Maiden type stuff, no Cannibal Corpse or anything.)
Get a foot switch. Since you already like your distortion tone then you dont need a distortion pedal. Your amp will usually give you better distortion than a pedal will(if you have a decent or good amp like yours)
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Okay, I just thought it might be nice to have a different sound to play with but maybe a footswitch is the best choice, it's certainly the cheapest. I'm still open to other opinions though.
How heavy is the distortion on your amp?
It's heavy enough to play Metallica with the stock pickups in a classic vibe thinline which is as heavy as I need, I'm just wondering if I might want a pedal to get a differently voiced sound, also the two channels share an eq so I thought the controls on a pedal might help for when I'm playing ska and have a really trebly clean but then the distortion is too harsh with the eq settings I used for my clean sound.

Edit: Basicslly I'm considering a pedal because I'm thinking It would give me more versatilty.
Last edited by fuzzpedal at Jul 17, 2011,
So you want less distortion? What do you mean by "more versitility"?
Basically I just want different types of sounds I can't get with what I have now like the distortion in a lot of Kinks songs, I can't afford to destroy my speaker so if there's a pedal that can get me that type of sound I'd like to buy it or maybe a more American voiced dirty sound rather than the British sound I get from my amp distortion, otherwise I'll probably just get the footswitch
Last edited by fuzzpedal at Jul 17, 2011,
Yeah, I wouldn't really know what to recommned for that kind of distortion. The only thing I can think of is maybe an od-20 or a mfx pedal.
Has anyone tried the boss fdr-1? It seems like it could give me a nice American distortion sound and it's got a 2 band eq and tremolo which would be really useful to me.
Its a decent pedal... however, remember that the amp forms the basis and foundation of your tone. If its a realllly dark and bassy amp, don't expect the Boss pedal to miraculously transform it into a airy, chimey machine.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I'm not really expecting to have a replacement for a deluxe reverb just a distortion pedal that can color my tone slightly and the fact that it has a built in tremolo makes it really hard to resist since I have also been GASing for one of those to play some stuff by the Doors and the Dead Kennedys.
If you already like the distortion of the amp, maybe an OD will give you the change you need. That way you still have the distortion, plus that added by the OD pedal, plus the tone from the OD.
Quote by kutless999
Get a foot switch. Since you already like your distortion tone then you dont need a distortion pedal. Your amp will usually give you better distortion than a pedal will(if you have a decent or good amp like yours)

+1

though amp footswitches are normally pretty cheap. with $100 you could probably get the amp footswitch and either an od or distortion pedal too. maybe even both.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The best way to get a variety of sounds would be to eventually get the footswitch and a pedal or two. Whichever option will give you what you want as your main dirty sound should be the first purchase though. Then you can save up for another pedal or two to switch things up from time to time. Find your main tone first, and then work on finding the other tones you would like to be able to go to occasionally.
exactly
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?