Hello all

I have a gibson les paul studio and i recently played it after not playing it for a week or so. I found that that right side of the tail piece and the bridge seemed to have been lowered, which i found to be strange since i did not lower them. After adjusting them so they are the same height as the other side. Now the action is way to low on the high strings. I am curious to what the problem is. i have a feeling that it might need a truss rod adjustment but i am not really sure. Any input would be appreciated
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot
Fender Blues Jr
VOX AC4
Ibanez TS-9
Boss PH-2
They will not lower themselves unless the strings are off the guitar, then the bridge wheels do move easily but not while ths strings are on.
Where is Jenny JJ1565 these days???
Fret the 1st fret and the 17th fret at the same time to form a straight edge, with the guitar in playing position, and note the distance between the fret crown of the frets in the 7-9 fret region and the bottom of the string (low E). There should only be the thickness of a cardboard business card there. Credit card thicknees too much, touching too little.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
There should only be the thickness of a cardboard business card there. Credit card thicknees too much, touching too little.
That's more personal preference then anything else. I find that a normal credit card to be perfect for me. Not trying to be a dick, just pointing it out
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
well the bridge did lower with the strings on, im sure that i did not lower it myself. and it seems that the intonation on the lower frets seems to be off the notes seem to be sharp
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot
Fender Blues Jr
VOX AC4
Ibanez TS-9
Boss PH-2
Has the temperature and humidity changed in you area? I know it has where I live (will be near 100F and humid all week from the 80's and nice last week)

I'll bet the neck moved back some and now needs a truss rod adjustment. Just put a good setup on it and all should be back to normal.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by DamagingExcess
That's more personal preference then anything else. I find that a normal credit card to be perfect for me. Not trying to be a dick, just pointing it out

No offense taken but have you measured a credit card? All mine are 0.032" Thick which is an extreme amount of relief in many peoples opinion and above Fender and Gibsons maximum at 0.030".
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
They will not lower themselves unless the strings are off the guitar, then the bridge wheels do move easily but not while ths strings are on.
Where is Jenny JJ1565 these days???
Fret the 1st fret and the 17th fret at the same time to form a straight edge, with the guitar in playing position, and note the distance between the fret crown of the frets in the 7-9 fret region and the bottom of the string (low E). There should only be the thickness of a cardboard business card there. Credit card thicknees too much, touching too little.

get to work ken!

yeah, and i +1 that a credit cards thickness is a lot in most cases.

a couple exceptions, being a guitar in need of fretwork, or someone
who likes to play, with more of a Jazz style.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by KenG
No offense taken but have you measured a credit card? All mine are 0.032" Thick which is an extreme amount of relief in many peoples opinion and above Fender and Gibsons maximum at 0.030".

Meh, I like a higher action because I play blues along with metal so I bend alot. With a lower action the the string slip right out from under my fingers when I'm playing. Maybe it's not credit card width but maybe a little less lol
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
Quote by DamagingExcess
Meh, I like a higher action because I play blues along with metal so I bend alot. With a lower action the the string slip right out from under my fingers when I'm playing. Maybe it's not credit card width but maybe a little less lol

I like decently high action as well for bending but that has nothig directly to do with neck relief!
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
I like decently high action as well for bending but that has nothig directly to do with neck relief!

It does slightly. I've checked with the luthier I use and he says it's right below the point where the bow would be overkill
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
Quote by Duv
I thought it was business card > credit card in the relief test.

I may be wrong though.

well yeah, but like said,
some guitar models, styles, and preference,
require a little extra.

personally i like as little as possible.

ive got a couple wt pin straight necks.

and a couple acoustics, with too much.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

^^ Nice to hear from you again Jenny!
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
^^ Nice to hear from you again Jenny!

thanks

it's been really hard to keep up with UG and wt life.

but im still in the setup thread every morning.

if you ever need anything, reach out in there.
send a bat signal.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
well yeah, but like said,
some guitar models, styles, and preference,
require a little extra.

personally i like as little as possible.

ive got a couple wt pin straight necks.

and a couple acoustics, with too much.

i may have got this the wrong way round but i've heard that if your fretboard has a more curved radius you might need a bit more neck relief?

but that doesn't apply to the les paul really, because it's got quite a flat radius.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
i may have got this the wrong way round but i've heard that if your fretboard has a more curved radius you might need a bit more neck relief?

but that doesn't apply to the les paul really, because it's got quite a flat radius.

im going to go out on a limb and say that,
more than anything,
a guitar with great fretwork, will enable you to maintain the least amount
of relief.

so basically, the flatter the neck the better when looking for
minimal relief ability,
but if any of the frets are raised or uneven anyway,
then it will still throw off the entire board.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62