Ibanez RG870
12 17%
Ibanez S770PB
14 19%
Axe
17 24%
Voters: 72.
Page 1 of 2
Need some guitar help. I've heard that Ibanez are great, but i've always wanted a jackson.
So i'm having a tough time deciding between these guitars.
http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG870

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-S770PB

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-RR3-Rhoads-Electric-Guitar-105773261-i1445408.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-DK2-Dinky-Electric-Guitar-520318-i1447149.gc

I really am leaning towards the dinky, but i want to know what you guys think!!!

I play hair metal, classic rock, heavy metal (ie. Metallica, Pantera).

i'm looking for it to be my main axe for hair metal, because i need a floating tremolo.
Warren Demartini is GOD, face it.
Last edited by demartini96 at Jul 24, 2011,
The Jackson links don't work (for me at least).

Personally, though, I've played Ibanez S and RG series, as well as Jackson Dinkies, and I much preferred the playability and sound of the Ibanez S series. Plus, the tremolo is very good.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I'd go for either of the Ibanez guitars, they have superior tremolos to the licensed Floyd Rose on the Jacksons, though you'll want to replace the pickups on the Ibanez most likely.
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
I would recommend staying away from the locking trem unless, if you're new unless you know what you're getting into as locking trems can be finicky when changing strings and are hard to set up for different tunings if you would need to do that.

If you're only going to pick out of the list you made I would go with the s770 definitely the most well rounded guitar out of the bunch and I believe the zr trem has a feature that you can switch it from free floating to fixed which is cool.

If you're unsure of how much you're going to be using the trem or don't think you'll use it I would look for a guitar without one. And as always try before you buy you might not like what someone else does.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
Blackheart little giant head
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
personally I have a jackson DK2M, and I absolutely love it. not sure which jacksons your talking about since the links arent working, but if you get anything with their low profile licensed trem its pretty much a straight drop in almost most of the time to upgrade to a better one easily.

good guitars I think. Some ibanez are awesome too though, depending on what your after, personally I think basswood is bland, wish we had the mahogany rgs like japan. I had an Rg770dx which was awesome, but personally Ive always liked the S series more than RGs...

remember, the licensed JT580lp floyd routes will fit the jackson route fairly easily, get something with good pickups and a crappy trem, and upgrade the trem when you can and you get an extremely playable japanese guitar good quality parts and construction all around..

same goes for ibanez, of course, except that upgrading the trem unit may or may not be a bit more challenging
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Alright guys i was being playful by putting the axe on there, now i'm serious. I'm looking for a guitar with a double locking trem. I'm not going to be wearing it out, so if possible i want to get the jackson (DINKY). I've played one (of the jackson licensed floyd JT580s) and liked it but heard the ZR trems are great. Now I want a guitar with GREAT pickups, a decent double locking trem, to play some classic 80s metal. Does anyone have experience on with the jackson licensed JT 580? If i take good care of it will it last? Help me out here i'm really leaning towards the dinky.

@shredzilla i've been playing for about 4 years now and need to get a guitarwith a double locking trem for stuff such as van halen, all kinds of 80's metal etc.

P.S. GOT THE LINKS FIXED TO THE JACKSONS!!
Last edited by demartini96 at Jul 17, 2011,
C'mon anyone i really need opinions on the Dinky! Anyone help me please!!
I personally didnt like the trem that came stock with the dinky and blocked it. Id go for a ZR trem first personally. it didnt hold up well for me at all, and was below my expectations for it.

mind you tons of people are going to say (and probably flame me for this), that the trem is fine as is, and great. thing is, its the same EXACT trem as the ibanez lo-trs II (which is not as good of a trem as the ZR).

it will work for awhile if you keep it setup properly probably, but I dont know if it will end up meeting your requirements of it.

honestly, pickups are cheaper/easier to swap, so if you want a better trem out of the box Id get something with that and lesser pickups to upgrade later, that way you have 1 cheaper upgrade to make and are more satisfied with the guitar.

but thats just my .02

oh and if you dont mind using it and possibly eventually blocking it, I loved my dk2m and its a pretty great guitar, I just disliked the stock bridge so I swapped it out with a PING
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Jul 18, 2011,
If you've always wanted a Jackson get one. That urge is always going to be there until you finally get one.
Quote by spiroth10
personally I have a jackson DK2M, and I absolutely love it. not sure which jacksons your talking about since the links arent working, but if you get anything with their low profile licensed trem its pretty much a straight drop in almost most of the time to upgrade to a better one easily.

good guitars I think. Some ibanez are awesome too though, depending on what your after, personally I think basswood is bland, wish we had the mahogany rgs like japan. I had an Rg770dx which was awesome, but personally Ive always liked the S series more than RGs...

remember, the licensed JT580lp floyd routes will fit the jackson route fairly easily, get something with good pickups and a crappy trem, and upgrade the trem when you can and you get an extremely playable japanese guitar good quality parts and construction all around..

same goes for ibanez, of course, except that upgrading the trem unit may or may not be a bit more challenging

DK2MDK2MDK2MDK2M

i swear by this guitar, now i wait for you to ask me why
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
DK2MDK2MDK2MDK2M

i swear by this guitar, now i wait for you to ask me why

Why do you swear by it?

Could you tell me how your Jackson Floyd licensed JT580 holds up?
Last edited by demartini96 at Jul 18, 2011,
The JT580 holds up fine. I have 2 Jacksons with that bridge and never had any issues.
I would get the guitar that you like the most, and if it has the specs you want, it is a win win.
I had an RX10D a year or so ago, it was my first floyd guitar and the bridge was surprisingly pretty stable.

You should make used an option though dude. You can find used 90's MIJ Ibanez guitars (basically Prestige before the Prestige name existed) for really cheap. The trems Ibanez made back in the 90s are arguably better than OFR's and the quality of guitars they made back then was even better than the Prestiges today. Where are you located? I could take a look for you. Also if you hop over to Jemsite there's tonnes of MIJ Ibbys for sale.

But at the same time. Damn. I've always loved those PB S's. And they definitely play great too.
Last edited by Levi79 at Jul 18, 2011,
I live in Oklahoma. I would much rather have a new guitar, though.

I REALLY LOVE THIS COLOR! IT LOOKS TOTALLY 80'S.
Attachments:
Jackson DK2 3.jpg
Last edited by demartini96 at Jul 18, 2011,
Quote by demartini96
Why do you swear by it?

Could you tell me how your Jackson Floyd licensed JT580 holds up?

the compound radius on this neck feels amazing. the licenced floyd holds tune amazingly. i learned how to set up a floyd in 10 minutes and it never goes out of tune. i mean NEVER. i use it heavily. i divebomb it down all the way and pull on on huge squeals and im still in tune. the pickups are great in the neck is a '59 and the bridge is either a tb4 or a jb (not really sure they made models with both). idk why they discontinued this guitar but my white one looks really sexy with ebony inlays and ebony binding all around the neck and headstock. fret access is a breeze and i find no reason for u not to get this guitar. i had the oppotunity to get an ibanez prestige over this guitar and this thing felt so much better. (both used ofcourse) i got mine in flawless condition, made in 97 i beleive.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Thts pretty B.A. but once again i'd rather not buy one used.
i see no option for a jackson kelly.

therefore i cannot in good concious vote. those things are awesome.
de martini uses a charvel. those japanese-made pro mods would be worth a look.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
He said it might be worth a look. They're a bit more expensive than that RG870 but pretty nice. Good pickups and a good trem that shouldn't need replacing.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/charvel
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
Quote by demartini96
Dave are you saying i should get a charvel?

I have a Charvel Pro Mod. It's a great guitar. I'd also urge you to look into them.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
I'm voting for the DK2, but I also believe that the RR3 would be a suitable instrument (I just don't like Vs that much). Also, the Jackson Kelly and the Charvel Pro Mod (mentioned in the thread) would round up the instruments that seem most appropriate.
EDIT:For 80's hair metal, I really don't think you can beat the Charvel.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Jul 19, 2011,
Quote by demartini96
Dave are you saying i should get a charvel?

well, not in so many words (you might not like the neck profile, say), but they'd definitely be worth a try. I've only tried the previous american-made series, but by all accounts the japanese-made ones are just as good, if not even better (plus are cheaper and come with a hard case).

trem isn't recessed, though, if that's a concern.

Quote by demartini96

yeah, i mean for a japanese-made instrument which doesn't really *need* any upgrades, and which also comes with a hard case, it's a pretty good deal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
mind you most charvels do not have a recessed floyd rose thus rendering pulling up impossible.....or at least very little. go with a jackson pro sereise like the dk2m. my dream guitar WAS the charvel so cal untill i played my jackson
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
I think i honestly just want to go with the jackson dk2. That october pearl color looks totally 80's. I'm only fifteen but i wanna bring back the 80's, because i missed it.
if you ask me the charvels are more 80s. plus a better trem. and a hard case.

your call, though, it's your money. it's not like either isn't 80s, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Yeah actually

See if you can get a Charvel Model 6 or 5 on ebay, theyre pretty much Jackson soloists. Neck through and all.
Last edited by beckyjc at Jul 20, 2011,
Quote by EspTro
mind you most charvels do not have a recessed floyd rose thus rendering pulling up impossible.....or at least very little. go with a jackson pro sereise like the dk2m. my dream guitar WAS the charvel so cal untill i played my jackson

Quote by Dave_Mc
if you ask me the charvels are more 80s. plus a better trem. and a hard case.

your call, though, it's your money. it's not like either isn't 80s, lol.

I need a floating bridge thats able to do pull ups with. How many steps can the charvel go up when you pull up on it Dave?
BTW what does recessed even mean? I have NO history with double locking trems.
C''mon guys i honestly need help i have no experience with trems so i don't know which way to go. I'd prefer to go with the Charvel, but Esp Tro says it won't pull up? I DO need it to pull up, even if it hardly goes up at all.
Quote by demartini96
BTW what does recessed even mean? I have NO history with double locking trems.

it means the guitar has a small cavity under the floating trem giving it more room too pull up. to my knowledge charvels do not have this but jacksons do
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by juancito94
Jackson link isn't working for me
but I'd get the Jackson RR3!

For everyone whining about the links Jackson links

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-dk2-dinky-electric-guitar/520318

Why everyone is hating on locking trems is beyond me?

Once they're setup correctly and you lock everything down. You shouldn't have any problems.

I tune my DK2 about every month to six weeks IE when I change the strings.

The Edge III on my Ibanez requires using the fine tuners about once a week give or take. It's just not the same quality as the JT580 on the DK2. I'll probably replace the Edge III with a ping made FRS.

Here's the good news as long as you use the same gauge of stings. It takes about the same amount of time restring and tune as a tune-o-matic takes.

Some people say the same brand that doesn't matter all that much.
I normally use Ernie Ball 9-24 but I've put on a set of D'Addario 9-42 without any problems.

EDIT: Here's a working like to the Rhodes

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-rr3-rhoads-electric-guitar

Musicians friend Guitar center use the same warehouse and charge the same price.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Jul 22, 2011,
^ who's hating on locking trems?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2