which harddrive to put vst plugins/DAW temp-cache folders and the like

I just setup my windows xp cpu for audio production. I've completely setup the cpu for audio and installed ableton, adobe audition, reaper, and a handful of vst and vsti plugins. Everything is working fine but I'm wondering about which drive I should be keeping everything on. I installed everything to the same drive as windows, however I am not sure how exactly to setup the cache/temp folders for my daw programs. I am also wondering about where to install vsts. Can I keep all vst dlls on my computer in one folder (and on which drive) so I don't have to look for them, and I can send each of my daw programs to that one folder to find vsts. Also would appreciate any other tips for absolutely streamlining my cpu for audio. Thanks guys!
LYRICS. WASTED TIME BETWEEN SOLOS

l
Just put them in a folder labeled VST's in your documents, and it'll work fine. You could put them anywhere and it would still work just as good as being anywhere else, the computer doesn't' care where they are at, they don't use much CPU.
Oh and I do know to keep all project files and recorded data on my secondary drive

l
Quote by KYLE_2K
I just setup my windows xp cpu for audio production. I've completely setup the cpu for audio and installed ableton, adobe audition, reaper, and a handful of vst and vsti plugins. Everything is working fine but I'm wondering about which drive I should be keeping everything on.

I installed everything to the same drive as windows, however I am not sure how exactly to setup the cache/temp folders for my daw programs. I am also wondering about where to install vsts.

They usually make their own temp folders. You can just use those?

VST install depends on which DAW you're using.
Quote by KYLE_2K

Can I keep all vst dlls on my computer in one folder (and on which drive) so I don't have to look for them, and I can send each of my daw programs to that one folder to find vsts.

Might be possible, but some don't like it.
Quote by KYLE_2K
Also would appreciate any other tips for absolutely streamlining my cpu for audio. Thanks guys!

Are you using a stock soundcard?
Ya I am using a stock soundcard, and am a few thou in the hole so I won't be buying anything anytime soon. So cache-temp folders being on a different drive won't speed anything up? I just figured all the recorded data is being sent to my secondary hardrive, why not keep temp files there too.

Are you saying different daw's look for vst plugins in differnet places? I just think it would be great to have on folder with all the vst plugins so I can use them in different daw's and keep them nicely organised.

Thanks guys, still kind of a n00b on this stuff

l
Quote by KYLE_2K
Ya I am using a stock soundcard, and am a few thou in the hole so I won't be buying anything anytime soon. So cache-temp folders being on a different drive won't speed anything up? I just figured all the recorded data is being sent to my secondary hardrive, why not keep temp files there too.

Are you saying different daw's look for vst plugins in differnet places? I just think it would be great to have on folder with all the vst plugins so I can use them in different daw's and keep them nicely organised.

That works exactly that way. Just do that, it'll work just fine.
Quote by KYLE_2K

Do you have multiple internal harddrives?
Quote by KYLE_2K

Are you saying different daw's look for vst plugins in differnet places?

Yup. Most daws come with several and they like you to add your new ones to that folder.
Quote by KYLE_2K
I just think it would be great to have on folder with all the vst plugins so I can use them in different daw's and keep them nicely organised.

Come to the electronic label thread. There is much knowledge there.
Yes I have multiple harddrives.

I will check out that forum when I get home

l
Quote by captaincrunk
Come to the electronic label thread. There is much knowledge there.

Or the Recordings forum, where this thread should probably have gone (or asked in the computer thread, though I doubt many would answer there)... what with it being the perfect example of what we'd rather have in the Recording forum, instead of people who can't/won't read posting their crap youtube covers there instead of where they belong.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
No I don't think they are sata. Just regular internal hardrives on a tower pc. Everywhere I'm looking on the net it says keep installation and program files on one drive, and daw project files and wavs on another.

l
Keep the plug-ins on the OS drive. Keep all your documents and projects, as well as presets and other plug-in configurations in a separate drive. Ideally you also want to have a backup drive that regularly copies the document drive. If you are working with samples, you should keep the samples on a dedicated drive and consider setting up a RAID array for faster access and load times.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
For some reason I saw the word virgin in the title
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Thanks xiaoxi for the straight answer! I will look into getting a 3rd drive... Do edternal drives work alright? As long as they are 7200 rpm?

l
Quote by KYLE_2K
No I don't think they are sata. Just regular internal hardrives on a tower pc. Everywhere I'm looking on the net it says keep installation and program files on one drive, and daw project files and wavs on another.

Well wherever you install the programs is where you'll want the VST files and such.
Quote by KYLE_2K
Thanks xiaoxi for the straight answer! I will look into getting a 3rd drive... Do edternal drives work alright? As long as they are 7200 rpm?

No. Not for the vsts and such.
Quote by KYLE_2K

With the exception of sample drives, 7200rpm is generally fine for most things regardless of it's internal or external. Synths and DSPs don't really need any hard drive resources whereas samples are huge .wav files that have to be loaded and accessed in real time from the hard drive and memory.

I'm thinking of building a hackintosh desktop with i5, 12-16GB DDR3, and a couple of drives in a RAID. I'm pretty sure at the rate I'm going with the crapload of sample sequencing I have to do every week, my MacBook is going to melt.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Thanks. Should be good to go...

l