I have seen some debate about whether or not a larger distance form nut to tuner effects string tension. I had heard this was one of the reasons people go with reverse headstocks (more tension on the low string). not being able to find a definitive answer i did a little experiment.

I took a guitar with a 6 in a line headstock and using 2 earnie ball 17's I strung th first one up in the high e string slot and the second one in the low e string slot (i did not use the string tree on the high e slot). I tuned both of them up to G and played them to see if i could feel any difference in tension

I could feel no difference between the string in the low e slot (1.5 inches between nut and tuner) and the high e slot (6 inches form nut to tuner). I find it safe to say the distance between the nut and tuner has no noticeable effect on string tension.

hope you found this useful.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Yeah, its been proved that it doesn't do anything, and if it does, its not enough to notice it.
Where's Waldo?
It's just common sense. If it did have an affect, then the entire concept of scale length would be borked, because that would imply that factors other than what goes on in the 25.5" or 24.75" length of string affect the string.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Tuner to nut length has ZERO effect on the tension required to obtain a particular pitch. HOWEVER, the longer the nut to tuner length is, the more overall string length there is to spread any load (fretting, bending, trem movement) over. A longer 'dead' string length = a lighter feel when bending, but you do have to achieve the same increase in tension to reach the same pitch. Eg: you would have to bend slightly further... you would have to pull up on the tremolo further, etc.

Longer dead string length also allows for more accurate intonation, but it's so minimal is nearly impossible to measure. This is because the increase in pitch when fretting is spread out over the entire string length.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!