Is there any reason guitar pedals (mainly Overdrive/Distortion/Fuzz type pedals) sound crappy if i run them straight into my audio interface? And Is there anyway to work/fix/avoid this? Ex Guitar>Fat Sandwich Distortion(this sounds like crap)> Vox Tube Compressor> Presonus Audiobox (My DAW is Studio One Artist which means no third party plugins).Also i was wondering that because S1 Artist doesnt allow third-party plugins (besides Guitar Rig 3 LE and Ezdrummer Lite) is it enough to make quality recordings or should I add a freeware DAW with freeware Efx/Virtual Instruments or something?
Last edited by frodoargon at Jul 18, 2011,
as i stated my DAW doesn't support third-party plug ins but it does have Guitar Rig 3 LE and an amp/cabinet simulator
There are a few things missing from your signal chain.

Instead of going guitar-pedal-computer you have to go:

Guitar - (Amp or direct input unit):

DI Unit - Audio interface - Computer
or
Amp - Microphone - Audio interface - Computer

A good DI unit is not a bad investment as it can become a part of a live rig or a studio rig. It's a great way to quickly record (or "jot down") ideas without having to mic up the amp, blah blah blah, by which time you've forgotten the riff.

DI's cost a bit of cash. Probably $200 for a cheap one.

I use a Vox VT40+ practice amp that functions both as an amp and as a DI. It's even loud enough to play with drums!

$500, but I traded for it so it came out $50 instead.

My rig is: Guitar - VT40+ - Audio Interface - Computer

Audio interfaces start at around $100. I suggest a USB unit. They can always become portable recording units whenever you upgrade. Record impromptu jams at parties and whatnot.

You're not going to drag your hundred-grand tricked-out studio out into someone's backyard barbecue are you?

"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

First of all, pedals are designed to be run into a preamp first, then a power amp, and then colored by the speaker. Running a pedal straight into your DAW is like running a pedal straight into a PA system with no speaker emulation, it sounds like a nasty preamp signal.

You need to first, run a preamp, then use a cab loader and impulses in your DAW to emulate the power amp, speakers, and mic.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

Guitar - (Amp or direct input unit):

DI Unit - Audio interface - Computer
or
Amp - Microphone - Audio interface - Computer

A good DI unit is not a bad investment as it can become a part of a live rig or a studio rig. It's a great way to quickly record (or "jot down") ideas without having to mic up the amp, blah blah blah, by which time you've forgotten the riff.

DI's cost a bit of cash. Probably $200 for a cheap one.

Skip the DI and go straight into the interface. Any half decent interface are made to take a guitar signal without a DI. Then use amp sims in the computer and enjoy that $200 you didn't just waste.