View poll results: Which guitar???
Ibanez RG1550M
13 35%
Jackson SLAT3-6
18 49%
Other (List below)
6 16%
Voters: 37.
So I'm here looking into two guitars mainly but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

I've been looking into the Ibanez RG1550M and Jackson Slat3-6 archtop
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg1550m-electric-guitar (Blue one)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-slat3-6-soloist-archtop-electric-guitar (Black)

I was seriously thinking I'd get the Ibby but I'm worried about the bolt on stuff. I already love Jacksons (I have a DKMGT)

I'm also into ESP/LTD's but, I'm NOT a schecter fan.

Ideas? suggestions?? I'd love to hear it all
I honestly opened this thread expecting to see, ".........Jazz III......."
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
I honestly opened this thread expecting to see, ".........Jazz III......."

+1
They're two pretty different guitars.

The Ibanez has an HSH combo with pretty bad pickups, and a maple fretboard.

The Jackson has two EMG active humbuckers and a rosewood fretboard with a compound radius.

Do you like the EMG's in the Jackson? It's more expensive, and the Ibanez being cheaper lets you have some cash to swap out the pickups.

I wouldn't be concerned with the bolt-on design. It's an AANJ, and plays like a set-neck.

Also basswood with bolt-on maple neck vs. alder with a neck-thru maple neck. The neck profile is going to be similar, but I would think that the Ibanez one will be a bit more flat. Have you ever played an Ibanez Wizard neck before?

And flat top vs. archtop. Which do you prefer?

You might want to look at the RG3250MZ, it's basically the same as the RG1550M, except with DiMarzzio pickups and different inlays. It's also a little more expensive:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg3250mz-prestige-electric-guitar
you might want to look at the new premium line or prestige rgs if ur gonna spend that much money on the jackson u might as well go with same price selection
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by selkies
you might want to look at the new premium line or prestige rgs if ur gonna spend that much money on the jackson u might as well go with same price selection

The 1550 is a prestige...
Where's Waldo?
Lol Yea that Ibby is prestige. and the Jackson is a Soloist. I'm not willing to go over the 1299 USD for the Jackson.

That's a LOT of money for me. Sorry people who thought it was an actual PICK thread... oops :P I already have those down.
Go with the Jackson
GEAR
Guitars: LTD V401DX, USA Jackson King V (pre-fender), Knock off Jackson Kelly
Pick ups: EMGs, Seymour Duncans
Amp: Randall RG100SC w/ matching cab
Boss and Dunlop Electronics
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
They're two pretty different guitars.

The Ibanez has an HSH combo with pretty bad pickups, and a maple fretboard.

The Jackson has two EMG active humbuckers and a rosewood fretboard with a compound radius.

Do you like the EMG's in the Jackson? It's more expensive, and the Ibanez being cheaper lets you have some cash to swap out the pickups.

I wouldn't be concerned with the bolt-on design. It's an AANJ, and plays like a set-neck.

Also basswood with bolt-on maple neck vs. alder with a neck-thru maple neck. The neck profile is going to be similar, but I would think that the Ibanez one will be a bit more flat. Have you ever played an Ibanez Wizard neck before?

And flat top vs. archtop. Which do you prefer?

You might want to look at the RG3250MZ, it's basically the same as the RG1550M, except with DiMarzzio pickups and different inlays. It's also a little more expensive:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg3250mz-prestige-electric-guitar

To this I'd say I probably prefer flat... and no I've never played a wizard neck
Quote by Pac_man0123
Honestly those are both very great guitars. At this point it pretty much comes down to you trying them and deciding which you like more.

I really wish I could but there's no way I can. No store around me carries guitars that are this expensive. Like my local shop that only deals with guitars $499 and under won't get the Ibanez (already asked one of there dudes)

and then the Jackson.... Idk any place EVER that would carry one of those
Quote by Zerox8610
To this I'd say I probably prefer flat... and no I've never played a wizard neck

The wizard neck profile is pretty flat. You should really just go into a music store and try to find a guitar in your $1,000-$1,500 price range, because the Jackson and the Ibanez are almost entirely different beasts.
Well to the last two people who commented... I have a Jackson DKMGT which is a bolt on jackson with EMGs, no trem. It's 799?? I think.

EMGs are fine I guess. If I got the Ibanez tho, I'd put in some DiMarzio pups.. Specifically the Tone zone and PAF pro. idk about the single coil tho.
Oh damn. I've been looking at the Agile Interceptor Pro 625 EB Black Flame too.....

I forgot! does this change anyone's opinions?? Totally up for this guitar if it's better than the Ibanez.
Quote by Zerox8610
Oh damn. I've been looking at the Agile Interceptor Pro 625 EB Black Flame too.....

I forgot! does this change anyone's opinions?? Totally up for this guitar if it's better than the Ibanez.

It's not better. Still a good guitar but with the amount of money you're willing to spend, don't even bother looking at it.
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by Zerox8610

No, the Agile can't compete with the Ibanez or the Jackson. It's not in the same class. The Agile will compete with LTD and Schecter though, as well as cheaper Jackson and Ibanez.

I vote for the Ibanez, because the body is basswood as opposed to a maple neck-thru, so it would be a little less bright, and the EMGs in the Jackson would not make me happy, so I'd have to spend more to swap them out.

It really comes down to this: Do you want active pickups in the long-run? Or are you willing to buy and install some good passive pickups in that Ibanez(because Ibanez stock pickups suck)?

Personally, I'd save some cash on the Ibanez and then buy some better pickups for it.
Ibanez RG1550M

1 - Lowest quality Prestige [STILL GREAT!]
5 - Characteristics of the RG550
5 - HSH pickups, front routed
0 - Trem
M - Maple fretboard

I like the Ibanez. I think this one is cheaper so you could get some new p'ups. The AANJ is ncie too. Plays like a set neck, but you can still replace the neck if you break it.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Metal metal metal lol. Altho this next guitar I'm getting is going to be in E standard ONLY.

I'm not a fan of all those bands who think it's Br00tUl to tune to drop Q and do nothing but chugging.
Quote by Zerox8610
Metal metal metal lol. Altho this next guitar I'm getting is going to be in E standard ONLY.

I'm not a fan of all those bands who think it's Br00tUl to tune to drop Q and do nothing but chugging.

+1

get a jackson
Hopefully I'll get some money to make some of this happen. But anything else you guys can add to this?? Do any of you own one of these guitars??
i would usually back the jackson up but i wouldnt expect EMG's in a jackson being my thing. and that ibanez....well i guess i just dont like how it looks lmao. i also hate stock ibby pups. jackson it is
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I haven't decided if I even like the EMG's I have yet :P

I haven't ever played with nice Passives lol
+1 for Ibanez...gotta say they're the closest thing to what you're looking for....

Jackson as a second though....but I her so many diffferent things about jackson I don't know if I'd buy one unless it were custom shop...
i have to say that i like jackson kelly's. i've tried all others, and the ke3 is awesome in my eyes.

however, i'd have to say go with the ibanez out of those 2 options.