Page 1 of 3
Now, before you guys flip out I love a huge variety of music from dubstep to indie to melodic death metal. However, my girl is pretty much only into Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, and Paramore. I tried to be cool with it but I can't stand it anymore. So I went and tried to show her some good bands such as The Black Keys, Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Silversun Pickups, Sublime, Velvet Revolver, Counting Crows. Now, I just wanted to get some decent to good bands in and I wanted to try a variety on her, but she thought all of it was complete shit. Eventually she liked a couple Incubus songs and City and Colour. Really I'd be cool with anything thats not mainstream pop/pop rock, but I'm having difficulty finding bands or artists that she could get into as stepping stones to other genres and bands (none specifically). And dont get me wrong, I'd love it even more if she went metal but that's just not gonna happen.
(tl;dr)
My question to you pit monkies is what bands or artists do you have in mind that I could introduce to her to improve her music taste?
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by ZanasCross
1st grade up through 5th grade, the cool kids always sat in the back of the bus, so I never understood why Black people were so upset, I thought we were telling them they were cool.
Quote by Wibanez
Now, before you guys flip out I love a huge variety of music from dubstep to indie to melodic death metal. However, my girl is pretty much only into Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, and Paramore. I tried to be cool with it but I can't stand it anymore. So I went and tried to show her some good bands such as The Black Keys, Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Silversun Pickups, Sublime, Velvet Revolver, Counting Crows. Now, I just wanted to get some decent to good bands in and I wanted to try a variety on her, but she thought all of it was complete shit. Eventually she liked a couple Incubus songs and City and Colour. Really I'd be cool with anything thats not mainstream pop/pop rock, but I'm having difficulty finding bands or artists that she could get into as stepping stones to other genres and bands (none specifically). And dont get me wrong, I'd love it even more if she went metal but that's just not gonna happen.
(tl;dr)
My question to you pit monkies is what bands or artists do you have in mind that I could introduce to her to improve her music taste?

That's a pretty subjective question
Rise Against, Blink-182, MxPx, Screeching Weasel, and other various pop punk/punk bands will work on getting her into more rock-ish stuff,
you're a stone fox
Quote by Adisturbedone
That's a pretty subjective question

I think we can all agree that 99% of music out there is better than Taylor Swift and Katy ****ing Perry, so really I guess my question could be just "can you name some good bands for me? but think light"
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

Quote by ZanasCross
1st grade up through 5th grade, the cool kids always sat in the back of the bus, so I never understood why Black people were so upset, I thought we were telling them they were cool.
Quote by Wibanez
However, my girl is pretty much only into Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, and Paramore.

Looks like she has pretty good taste.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Who says her music taste needs improving? She doesn't actively try to fully convert (or improve as you say) you to her shit does she?
how about you stop being a retard and realise that she might legitimately not like that kind of music. Stepping stones don't mean shit if she just doesn't like anything in those genres.

Why does it matter to you what your girlfriend listens to?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by genghisgandhi
Those bands are garbage.

I'm not saying I love them, but they aren't bad. Do you have any suggestions then?
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

Quote by ZanasCross
Ooh, make her listen to good rap, like Nas, MF DOOM, NWA, and Public Enemy, especially going off the Public Enemy to more political based music, like the pop punk bands I mentioned above.
you're a stone fox
Show her Dispatch

Make the world better by creating one more Dispatch fan.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
I think you guys are missing the point. I know for a fact none of you actively listen to Taylor Swift and Katy Perry. Don't even try to troll. Maybe I'm asking the wrong question. I think I've lost faith in the pit, none of you even try to be entertaining and troll me anymore
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

Quote by ZanasCross
. So I went and tried to show her some good bands such as The Black Keys, Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Silversun Pickups, Sublime, Velvet Revolver, Counting Crows.

Damn bro, your music taste is shit. You should break up with her and go back to masturbating to pictures of David Grohl.
Quote by Saint78
Ooh, make her listen to good rap, like Nas, MF DOOM, NWA, and Public Enemy, especially going off the Public Enemy to more political based music, like the pop punk bands I mentioned above.

DO NOT MAKE HER LISTEN TO MF DOOM!

He is the most overrated underground rapper of this generation all time.
Quote by Wibanez
I think you guys are missing the point. I know for a fact none of you actively listen to Taylor Swift and Katy Perry. Don't even try to troll. Maybe I'm asking the wrong question. I think I've lost faith in the pit, none of you even try to be entertaining and troll me anymore
Dude, listen to what I suggested.

I don't actively listen to Taylor Swift, but I do actively listen to Katy Perry. I also really actively listen to Paramore. They are good musicians that write/sing songs with good hooks. Your girlfriend should like the bands I suggested, and they aren't "lame" like the three aforesaid.
Quote by due 07
^ BASED GOD

They're my favorite band right now, I think.

Haven't listened to them in ages, admittedly, but I had stints where I listened to just them for days on end.
^ Have you heard the new album? It's a lot slower than even Get Better, but it's pretty good.

Quote by genghisgandhi
yeah niggga see this niggas based 4 lyfe man you feel me>? see how chill dis nigga is you wanna be this chill thne throw on some based god and let the swag flow over you.
I can honestly say I've only listened to Lil B once in a sober state. It's not the same.
introduce her to Puscifer, the bitches love puscifer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR3ccmWmLhk
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !

I've slit the throats of clergymen and governors
Those bloated swine...
May their screams unhinge a thankless crown

<= last.fm

Quote by Butt Rayge

Everyone is cunts.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Those bands are garbage.

Hah wow, I was thinking the exact same thing. OP, your taste in music is shit as well.

OPINIONS!
Quote by genghisgandhi
DO NOT MAKE HER LISTEN TO MF DOOM!

He is the most overrated underground rapper of this generation all time.

Seriously? Overrated? I guarantee you if I asked anyone in my school what they thought of DOOM they would have no clue what I was talking about. As for his skill, his lyrics are great and his flow is great, plus he's a kick-ass producer.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Wibanez

So somebody is a troll because they like a pop country singer? God forbid somebody has a different opinion than you.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Saint78
Seriously? Overrated? I guarantee you if I asked anyone in my school what they thought of DOOM they would have no clue what I was talking about. As for his skill, his lyrics are great and his flow is great, plus he's a kick-ass producer.

That's why I said underground. I never was a fan of his flow. He always sounds out of breath

I still think Madvillainy is the most overrated rap record ever released.
Quote by due 07
^ Have you heard the new album? It's a lot slower than even Get Better, but it's pretty good.

Yup, pretty good as you say. But I think I like their compilation, The First Collection best.
Quote by creelers
Yup, pretty good as you say. But I think I like their compilation, The First Collection best.
Same. It's a shame they'll probably never sound like that again, but oh well.

Quote by genghisgandhi
The download link was removed
I see that. -__-
Page 1 of 3