So i recently got a new job for extra guitar money, and i really like telecasters and im upgrading from a mexican made to a decent used american standard. im going to be buying through guitar center and they have a 30 day return on all products, but how well does gc look over their used items? it has a 4 star rating on their site and i know a very respected guitar maker that im going to have look over it. what other risks should i prepare for?
there aren't really any that I can think of..

there really isn't a way to hide damage on a guitar so as long as you look it over it should be fine.

also I would buy from somewhere other than guitar center. from my experience they're more into getting business than being about being honest with their customers.
guitar center really DGAF about their instruments. as long as they make sound, they will sell them to you...anyway the REAL things to keep an eye out for are the condition of the neck, the frets, and the hardware.
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
well if it plays fine and dosnt sound like crap and doenst have any visible damge it shuold be fine

and your guitar maker freind should be able to see if theres any serious porblems with it
Thanks and I was wondering why alot of the used american standards on the guitar center site are so marked down down? There's thousand dollar guitars going for six or seven hundred. are they marked down because they're in bad shape?
Think of guitars like cars: when you buy them new and drive them off the lot, they lose about 30% of their value, at least, instantly. I'd always check it out ahead of time, but any used instrument will cost significantly less than new. That's why craigslist and ebay are the best sites ever invented for budget guitarists.
modes are a social construct
If you are buying for price, then you assume some risk because you are buying a brand sight unseen. Personally I wouldn't do it, one because it's Fender, and two because its GC. To GC you're a source of income, and they pass it on to you. I'll tell you this, if its used you're buying something that someone else didnt want. That reason may be known or not to GC. GC will sell you anything if they think you'll buy it. Regardless.

If it were me I'd look at a brand that has a consistent high quality, and feel very confident about it. Ever looked into G&L? They have good guitars in that price range and Id buy them sight unseen all day long.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jul 18, 2011,
Quote by Sean0913
If you are buying for price, then you assume some risk because you are buying a brand sight unseen. Personally I wouldn't do it, one because it's Fender, and two because its GC. To GC you're a source of income, and they pass it on to you. I'll tell you this, if its used you're buying something that someone else didnt want. That reason may be known or not to GC. GC will sell you anything if they think you'll buy it. Regardless.

If it were me I'd look at a brand that has a consistent high quality, and feel very confident about it. Ever looked into G&L? They have good guitars in that price range and Id buy them sight unseen all day long.

Best,

Sean

I completely agree in terms of Fender quality control. It is absolutely atrocious!

I went to the US last year to find the ultimate strat, and had a $2000 budget to do it. Over that time I was there I must have played close to 100 Fender strats ranging from mexican made to custom shop, and they consistently varied between eachother, with some just being plain bad. The G&Ls are awesome, have that strat tone, come in better colours and were always of a high standard. I personally went with a small custom shop strat in the end, but yeah, beware of Fender.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Sean0913

Best,

Sean

Have you tried a g and l asat classic semihollow? Because it says their american made and they have gotten pretty decent reviews. I found one on amazon for about 750.
Quote by theianmacphee
Have you tried a g and l asat classic semihollow? Because it says their american made and they have gotten pretty decent reviews. I found one on amazon for about 750.

Of course I have, they are awesome. I also recommend a Blues Boy if you can get one. Pick up either of these and you've made a smart choice.

Sean
Quote by theianmacphee

Sure they're great guitars, G&L quality is awesome across the line. But weren't you looking for a strat style guitar? ASAT is the tele style.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud