Wha is the best peavey head for High gain? I was thinking the 6505. Price is not a problem but the distorion has to be really tight, not muddy sounding. It's for metalcore/ hardcore tyPe stuff. I would like it to be good for shred to
Seconded/thirded/whatever'd for the 6505.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
6505 for sure, just buy a nice OD to tighten it up. You'll be set for all your hardcore/metal tones.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
What is the difference between the 6505, the 6505+ and the6534? Just the tubes?What pEdal did you have in mind? A tube screamer? I was just thinking of getting an ISP decimator, not a distortion pedal
Last edited by amonamarthmetal at Jul 18, 2011,
Quote by amonamarthmetal
What is the difference between the 6505, the 6505+ and the6534? Just the tubes?What pEdal did you have in mind? A tube screamer? I was just thinking of getting an ISP decimator, not a distortion pedal

6505 has 2 channels with a global EQ. The rhythm (clean) channel has a crunch mode. The 6505+ also has 2 channels, but each channel has it's own EQ, and the crunch mode is footswitchable. The 6505+ has a type of MIDI footswitch, and the 6505 is just a standard stereo cable footswitch. The 6534+ is identical to the 6505+, but it has EL34 power tubes instead of 6L6's, which give it a bit more of a British flavor.

Sonically, the 6505+ is less aggressive and more smooth and more compressed than the 6505, but it also has arguably better cleans, and better crunch.

I would recommend the 6505+ to you. Tubesreamers go with these amps like jelly goes with toast. A noise gate is also necessary. If money is no option, the best option is 2 ISP Decimators - one in front, and one in the loop. The next best option is a ISP Decimator G String, and then 2 MXR Smart Gates, and then a Boss NS-2.

I use the Boss NS-2 with the 5150, and all the myths of tone loss are largely untrue. There is a little bit of loss, but not nearly enough to throw a fit about.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 18, 2011,
6505+/6505/5150
On the other hand, I'm interested to see that nobody mentions the triple x, which is also very good for these sortsa things.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
Quote by dtmaiden
6505+/6505/5150
On the other hand, I'm interested to see that nobody mentions the triple x, which is also very good for these sortsa things.

a Triple XXX is great too. It's a lot brighter than a 5150. When you have one guitarist playing a 5150 and another playing a XXX it sounds awesome.
That and a Tube Screamer are popular choices.

The 6505 is a metal machine. It's the most brutal one.

The + adds separate eqs for each channel and an extra preamp tube. It's supposed to give it more clean headroom and it's a bit tamer than the 6505 gain wise.

The 6534 uses EL 34 tubes and has a different voicing.
Quote by dtmaiden
6505+/6505/5150

The XXX line (Ultra, Ultra Plus, XXX, JSX, 3120, XXX II) is a great, but those amps are (IMO) better suited for more thrash and 80's/90's type stuff, as well as just general lower gain British metal tones. The 6505 is a much more American metalcore amp. In fact it's pretty much the flagship of the entire NWOAHM movement.

Obviously either can work in either application, but those are my observations.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by amonamarthmetal

the 6534+ is suppesdly the same circuit only with el34s instead and an added noise reduction circuit but i think they did a bit of tweaking because to me it feels as though it has a bit less gain than the 6505+ and a bit tightter IMO. I use a Ibanez TS-9 infront of mine and a boss NS-2 for a noisegate, to me its perfect. if youre going the 6505 route, deff check out the 6534. its not everyones cup of tea, but its like the amp for me. the clean channel is alot better than the normal 6505+s too.

Im also really big into stuff like BFMV and Trivium and it nails it perfectly for me
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Jul 18, 2011,
6505/5150 is the go to amp.

Overdone yeah
The ultra line in my experience is great as well for metal. Mine requires no boost at all for a good chug and tightness yet doesnt muddy up until im in 7 string territory. Basically drop c is kills at without any boost where other amps may require one.