I'm using a fender twin reverb, which has the perfect clean sounds and reverb for my taste. Of course it's designed not to overdrive, so I've been using a tube screamer for the rock songs. I'm wondering if it would be possible/practical for me to get a small 10ish watt amp that overdrives easily, and then have that go through the twin? Does anyone have experience doing this?

I've basically been copying Dan Auerbach's rig, which is a Marshall JTM 45 through a fender quad. A JTM isn't exactly a tiny amp though, and expensive as shit.
Last edited by danleary at Jul 18, 2011,
How do you imagine connecting them physically?

Dan Auerbach runs his JTM through an 8x10 cab. I don't think he's doing what you think he's doing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 18, 2011,
I was thinking of just doing it like a chain, just like pedals, send the signal from the small amp through a cable to the fender twin. I don't have any experience using 2 amps at once, is it more complicated than that?
I think what you mean is to have two amps, and the use an A/B switch to swap between them. You can't really run an amp through another amp.

It would go like this

Amp 1
Guitar-Lead -------A/B switch<
Amp 2

You step on the button and it switches between the two amps. Simple as
Last edited by T7E at Jul 18, 2011,
No, you can't do that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
No, you can't do that.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 18, 2011,
No, you can't do that.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Yes, you can do that.
Get an attenuator with a Line Out, put that between the 10 watt amp and it's speaker, then run the Line Out to the input of the Twin Reverb. To switch it, put an A/B on your pedalboard, and a splitter box (or combo box, i guess) ontop of your amp. A of the A/B box goes to the splitter box Input A, B of A/B goes to the input of rock amp, rock amp Line Out goes to Input B of splitter box, Output Y of splitter box into the amp input. You might need something more advanced than 3 jacks for the combiner at the end, because you'll need to balance levels, but that should put you on the right track.
Quote by Grif22
Yes, you can do that.
Get an attenuator with a Line Out, put that between the 10 watt amp and it's speaker, then run the Line Out to the input of the Twin Reverb. To switch it, put an A/B on your pedalboard, and a splitter box (or combo box, i guess) ontop of your amp. A of the A/B box goes to the splitter box Input A, B of A/B goes to the input of rock amp, rock amp Line Out goes to Input B of splitter box, Output Y of splitter box into the amp input. You might need something more advanced than 3 jacks for the combiner at the end, because you'll need to balance levels, but that should put you on the right track.

That may be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen suggested. Well done.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Crikey, that's one heck of a complex solution.

Here's a simpler one.

Get a Catalinbread DLS, it has 2 overdrive clipping modes. One's similar to the JTM45, and one's similar to the JCM800.

You only need the pedal, a length of lead cable, a power source (9v / 18v / battery) and 10 seconds to set up and rock out. Plus its cheaper than a new amp, an ABY box and several lengths of leads.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Cathbard
That may be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen suggested. Well done.

Works fine for me. Maybe you should learn what you're talking about before you start talking about things you can't do.
Quote by Grif22
Works fine for me. Maybe you should learn what you're talking about before you start talking about things you can't do.

I didn't say it won't work, I said it's ridiculous. I thought you were taking the piss.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Grif22

Before you dis Cath on his amp knowledge, you should read this : https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1460449
Quote by Grif22

there's a lot of things you can do.

some of the things you can do are so stupid and complex they might as well be impossible.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
If your wanting Dan's older tone then it's mainly some older fuzz pedals, I'm not too familiar with his newer setup but ceriatone sells a much cheaper jtm45 copy.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
I have setup two amps to run like this

Guitar------>amp A input------->Amp A pre-out/line out------>Amp B input

Effectively turning amp A into a pre-amp pedal
If your after that sound,it can work fine
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by CodeMonk
Before you dis Cath on his amp knowledge, you should read this : https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1460449

+1 I always laugh at the fools who are foolish enough to diss cath

anyway TS, just get a distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedal. it'll be a helluva lot easier and cheaper
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I already have an overdrive and fuzz pedal. I know Dan uses both amps simultaneously, even on his TV appearances when he's only doing 1 song he has them both out. Just not sure how he's got it set up.

He said in an interview he uses the JTM for overdrive and the fender quad for reverb, but sometimes he has both reverb and overdrive going on at the same time so I figure he's running both at once rather than switching between the two. Just not sure how, he's got overdriven coming out of the 8x10 and clean coming out of the 4x12? seems strange to me

anyways the original point wasn't to copy that, though I am curious about it. it was just to get a more natural overdriven sound out of the twin, rather than using an overdrive pedal
Last edited by danleary at Jul 18, 2011,
Quote by danleary
I already have an overdrive and fuzz pedal. I know Dan uses both amps simultaneously, even on his TV appearances when he's only doing 1 song he has them both out. Just not sure how he's got it set up.

He said in an interview he uses the JTM for overdrive and the fender quad for reverb, but sometimes he has both reverb and overdrive going on at the same time so I figure he's running both at once rather than switching between the two. Just not sure how, he's got overdriven coming out of the 8x10 and clean coming out of the 4x12? seems strange to me

anyways the original point wasn't to copy that, though I am curious about it. it was just to get a more natural overdriven sound out of the twin, rather than using an overdrive pedal

He's probably just splitting his signal from his guitar to the 2 amps.
Quote by danleary

He'd be using a ABY pedal.
Doesn't surprise me which combination of cabs he might chooee. It would be more about the sound of the speakers rather than the number of them.
You can do what SRV did to get distortion out of his Bassman - stick a tubescreamer or two in front of it with them setup as boosts.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I am not planning on trying myself, but I am curious about the 1/4" headphone output on a Bugera V5 run into another amp.
Quote by Cathbard
I didn't say it won't work, I said it's ridiculous. I thought you were taking the piss.
Why's it ridiculous? You asked how he would hook it up. A $30 attenuator jacked over to the Twin is all it takes.

Although I think you can use a distortion pedal and dispense with all the complexity.
Last edited by fly135 at Jul 18, 2011,
Quote by fly135
Why's it ridiculous? You asked how he would hook it up. A $30 attenuator jacked over to the Twin is all it takes.

Although I think you can use a distortion pedal and dispense with all the complexity.

incorrect.

Quote by Grif22

*wants to post picture but is afraid he'll get banned*

OT: Wouldnt a pedal just be significantly easier and cheaper and attain the same result? You can get tube distortion pedals, and there are so many different ones that you shouldnt have an issue finding something suitable for your needs, for a fraction of the cost of running an amp into another amp, attenuator, extra cabling, aby box and all that.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
What's ridiculous? Using a 10W amp and an attenuator as a pedal isn't ridiculous? Are you kidding me? Seriously I thought he was demonstrating what a silly idea it was by showing what you'd have to do to make it work. I genuinely thought it was a pisstake on the idea. You know, trolling?
I was actually congratulating him on an excellent piece of trolling. How was I to know he was serious?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 18, 2011,
Quote by fly135
Wrong you are.

wrong a di box/cab sim is not an attenuator.
Quote by AcousticMirror
wrong a di box/cab sim is not an attenuator.
Wrong you are.

Rather than let this drag on. I'm just going to give you an education. An attenuator is anything that attenuates. The Ultra-G goes inline with the speaker wire and provides a tap that attenuates (synonymous with pad) the signal. You feed the attenuated signal to the instrument in on the Twin.

Maybe you don't like people using the term attenuator because it sounds like a particular kind of attenuator, but it isn't "incorrect". And there is no argument that will make it incorrect. You however can argue that I'm confusing people and I could have used the phase "pads the signal".
Mesa Engineering used to make a rather serious tube stomp box pedal. I'm not sure if they still make it, but it was serious. Not "tube like" or "genuine tube-style sound". I'm talking about a stomp box with one or more tubes in it.

That might be a good one to place in front of your Fender amp.
tested attenuator output on a V5 at 1/10th of a watt, it works, but not sure if it is recommended. Probably better to get a tube distortion.
Ok first of all I'm pretty sure Dan Auerbach doesn't run both his amps at once, I'm very sure he switches between them for overdrive and cleans, or he might have all his effects fuzzes and overdrives running to his fender since it has the headroom, then has the jtm45 for overdrive and has a reverb pedal running to both amps so it probably looks like this.

----------------------fuzzes,ect..=>fender
---------------------/
reverb/delay=>ab
---------------------\
----------------------maybe a fuzz or od=>jtm45.

I don't think he does anything too terribly complicated with his rig.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Last edited by grungebaby at Jul 18, 2011,
I read somewhere that Metallica used to run the preamp of a Mesa IIC+ in to the poweramp of a Marshall 2203 for the recording of MOP and AJFA, i have no idea how they did it or how complicated this would be to replicate but IMO the guitar tone on MOP and AJFA is fairly bitchin'. Im guessing if they did it then they did it in a similar way to how OP thinks Dan Auerbach achieved his tone?
^ It wasn't a 2203, it was a modified Plexi.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Necrotise
I read somewhere that Metallica used to run the preamp of a Mesa IIC+ in to the poweramp of a Marshall 2203 for the recording of MOP and AJFA, i have no idea how they did it or how complicated this would be to replicate but IMO the guitar tone on MOP and AJFA is fairly bitchin'. Im guessing if they did it then they did it in a similar way to how OP thinks Dan Auerbach achieved his tone?

They probably would have used the fx loop send to send it to the plexi poweramp.. but what people are talking about here is actually sending a power amp signal into an amp
Quote by Raijouta
^ It wasn't a 2203, it was a modified Plexi.

+1 Just google "mythical, magical Marshall" and you'll get your idea. They stopped using it because it got stolen and there was no way to mod another piece.

Quote by tmcdaniels
Mesa Engineering used to make a rather serious tube stomp box pedal. I'm not sure if they still make it, but it was serious. Not "tube like" or "genuine tube-style sound". I'm talking about a stomp box with one or more tubes in it.

That might be a good one to place in front of your Fender amp.

There's the V-Twin and the V-1 Bottle Rocket
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )