Hey,

I've experimented with modelling software, started acquiring valve gear in the hope of getting a better tone, and I wanted to start recording, especially to use it as a practice tool as I'm playing more complex pieces, so I've started looking at audio interfaces such as Line 6 Pods and an Avid Mbox mini 3. I know a few Pro-tools users, and I know that the avid will be the smarter investment, but then I remembered the Axe FX and the Avid 11 rack.

So... here's a crazy idea. I'm thinking the 11 is cheap enough and I could get it for 800-1000. It comes with 12 amps, and for $90 more another few, with plenty of speaker cabinets, mics and effects to get a versatile range of tones. Then you just hook it up to monitors or something like the atomic cab for Axe FX. Add some Midi controllers, expression pedal... it still has a proper effects loop, and you have a great practice rig, recording studio and it sounds like it could replace your back-line.

From what I've seen, the 11 and Axe FX seem to feel and sound very close to how the real amp equivalents would and I'm seeing bands use them live and in the studio with as good if not better live tones.

I know this is like blasphemy, but would you get one of these over a real amp? Just think it's a nice alternative to anything in that price range and the usual Line 6 Spiders people use when they start playing live.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Jul 18, 2011,
Isn't the Avid 11 just an expansion module?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
DJ Ashba used nothing but the Eleven on the last Sixx: AM album, and it all sounds killer.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by baumaxx1

Ah I though I read it as Avid 11.

Anyways, do you really need a 11 Rack? I'm sure you can do the same with a Pod HD Desktop which also has a recording interface as well right?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Yeah, but the 11 sounds better and I figured it would be a better investment and works live. You also get Pro Tools which is a standard nowdays.

A HD 500 or the pod desktop are 6-700 anyway.
Proaudiostar and unique squared have the 11r for $699. I bought one with the expansion pack, and it's a total must. Through my tube power amps and frfr speakers, I can get it dead on with my Mesa stiletto. It seriously sounds great. Not to mention you get a whole bunch of ther amp models too. Just the fact that it models my $2400 stiletto and triple rec is amazing enough for $699, but it does a decent bogner and Marshall as well. It cleans up and responds awesome. I don't know if the true z impedance matching really works or not, but it really sounds good. You will have to add like, $170 for a behringer and 11prom for perfect live use. I use a midi mate and it's great. If you need a clip or something, just let me know. Protools is great too, but I just don't like the fact that you need to load protools just to edit the patches. However, editing patches on the 11r is easy and intuitive enough.

You can argue digital vs tubes and what not, but as long as it sounds good, that's what matters. I use mine with a qsc k10 or a Mesa 50:50 power amp and vader cab and it sounds awesome.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
^Interesting... I really have no need for a modeler, but for $700, I might have to pick one up to try it
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The power supply is universal right? I was thinking of getting one from the US as it's $7-800 AUD with shipping vs. $1400 retail. There is this one in AUS however: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Eleven-Rack-guitar-processor-/300577777359?pt=AU_Instrument_Accessories&hash=item45fbd4e6cf but it doesn't seem entirely honest. Why is it so cheap, unpackaged and updated if it's never been used?

Just not sure how much of an issue I'll have with warranty getting it internationally? Avid should be pretty reliable yeah? It's kind of weird how we have more buying power than the US dollar but it's still twice as expensive to buy it here even if you consider international freight. Anyone bought stuff internationally before? :3
Power supply is internal to the 11R. Not sure if there is a voltage switch there, as those are usually small and out of the way, haha.

Avid has excellent customer service. I had protools and the rack transferred to me in about 2 days after I got the 11R.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Yeah, I don't think you even need to flick the switch from what I see in the manual.
Quote by Reincaster
Power supply is internal to the 11R. Not sure if there is a voltage switch there, as those are usually small and out of the way, haha.

Avid has excellent customer service. I had protools and the rack transferred to me in about 2 days after I got the 11R.

How is the bass model on it?

I really need a good live bass amp - If I could get guitar AND bass tones out of the same preamp and the bass actually sound really good, I might consider buying a high wattage power amp and putting it through a bass cab
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
How is the bass model on it?

I really need a good live bass amp - If I could get guitar AND bass tones out of the same preamp and the bass actually sound really good, I might consider buying a high wattage power amp and putting it through a bass cab

I will be using my jazz bass and checking the sound. But I'm confident it will sound awesome! Haha.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by Reincaster
I will be using my jazz bass and checking the sound. But I'm confident it will sound awesome! Haha.

Would definitely be interested in hearing what it sounds like!

I was gonna buy a Mesa M6 Carbine and cab, but this might be interesting

I noticed it models the SVT though, I didn't really like the SVT when I tried it at the store
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Would definitely be interested in hearing what it sounds like!

I noticed it models the SVT though, I didn't really like the SVT when I tried it at the store

Well, you have a 5 band graphic eq and a 4 band parametric to help you out. Not to mention you could plug it into a bunch of guitar cab models and see how they sound without ripping a speaker cone, haha. The eleven rack can model very well, but it excels in taking those great tones to a personal "signature" style tone for you.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by MatrixClaw

MC, did you ever notice that on all of UG, you seem to be the only one that can say "I think I'll buy a Mesa" like it was chump change?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
MC, did you ever notice that on all of UG, you seem to be the only one that can say "I think I'll buy a Mesa" like it was chump change?

At least you probably won't ever hear that statement come out of me again. Besides bass amps, there's only one Mesa I will ever spend money on again; well, at least to keep it
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
When it comes to the power supply you should probably email them and ask otherwise if they have the full specs you can see it on there. The fact that it doesn't have a transformer and it is a new product would make me lean towards it being able to handle a range of input voltages but you never know.
Quote by MatrixClaw

At least you probably won't ever hear that statement come out of me again. Besides bass amps, there's only one Mesa I will ever spend money on again; well, at least to keep it

Really?

I don't think any UGer really believes you when you say "that's the last XXXX".

Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by joe_k
When it comes to the power supply you should probably email them and ask otherwise if they have the full specs you can see it on there. The fact that it doesn't have a transformer and it is a new product would make me lean towards it being able to handle a range of input voltages but you never know.

The power transformer is on the inside. Though it is very likely that it will either have a voltage switch or that you can open it up and switch the PT primaries to a different input voltage.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by ragingkitty
Really?

I don't think any UGer really believes you when you say "that's the last XXXX".

Unless they come out with something new, or drop the price on the Mark V considerably - The only Mesa guitar amp I'd spend money on again at this point is another 2 channel Recto, badass amps
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by rokket2005
a carbine? no...... buy that 400+ thats been on rt for the past month and a half.

I wish I could try it out...

I tried a ton of bass amps a few weeks back and I wasn't impressed by any of the tube heads they had. The M6 Carbine is the only amp that really blew me away.

I'll check it out though, don't really troll the classifieds anymore. If the price is right, I might grab it?

*edit* Meh, $850 for that amp isn't that great. A guy on HC was going to trade me his before for my Krank, but ended up selling it the next day after he offered it. You can pick up the Carbines for pretty cheap, and the fact that I was surprised at how badass it sounded through a Mesa 2x12 cab makes me all the happier. The 8x10 Ampeg cab sounded like ass compared to that cab, and was GIANT
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 19, 2011,
I like looking at bass stuff every now and then. I'm working on my bass player to get some new cabs. He isn't yet convinced that he needs emperor to make him a 6x12 and 2 2x18's.
Quote by ragingkitty
Getting the 11 Monday finally.

Just a question... through headphones, I assume the headphone and monitor outputs are line level. I'll be using it via monitors for now.
Quote by baumaxx1
Getting the 11 Monday finally.

Just a question... through headphones, I assume the headphone and monitor outputs are line level. I'll be using it via monitors for now.

Headphone out is a lot higher than line level. I've plugged into the output to amp (which is supposed to be line level) and you can hear anything through headphones from that. My monitors use XLR's and sound awesome.

Headphones sound horrible for recording and finding tones.

What midi controller are you getting, if you're getting one?
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by Reincaster
Headphones sound horrible for recording and finding tones.

Not if you have good headphones.

A good pair of headphones can sound much better than monitors, especially in an untreated room, because you're cutting out all the issues your room might cause. The trick is finding a pair that has a good balance of frequencies and isn't hyped, or lacking in any of the key areas (mainly lowend).

Many mastering engineers actually prefer to master with headphones, versus monitors.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Dunno on the controller yet. Not in a real rush, but yeah, need some sort of foot pedal set-up with expression. I'll sell my multi FX and distortion pedal I reckon. I'll need to look into the controllers though. Dunno if a Behringer FCB1010 with whatever mod it needs will do. Heard that they're flimsy as though.

Headphones wise, I have a set of AudioTechnica A900s. They will sound fine.

Just asking what sort of output options I would have if I wanted to hook it up to some speakers/headphones. Just making sure that I won't damage them from the output. Headphone out will work fine as a stereo signal yes?

I know it's not ideal for now, but getting this thing step-by step, lol.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Aug 5, 2011,
This is a LONG Review... and it's for ordinary guys - not techies - so if you are a techie... and want to drool over the ins and outs - go to the Avid site... this review is not written for you.

When the Eleven Rack was first on the street back in November 2009 I ordered one - right there and then. What a great bargain I thought!

Imagine a whole rack of effects and a FREE Protools LE. I always wanted to dabble with Protools and I suppose this was my opportunity to play a little for what was effectively almost free software.

elevenrack1

In any case... like I said I bought it.

Firstly let me say that there was a problem in registering this unit on the internet (necessary at the time to download some other software this unit came with). Actually that took a week to solve with Avid only contributing to my frustration. Firstly the frustration of waiting WEEKS on end (about 9) for the kit then waiting to get it registered properly.. not a good start - in fact at one stage I used to call 'Avid' another name - 'Livid' because thats all they did to me - make me livid and they did not seem to care. For a moment I thought this was a Roland review...

Well what did I get. A smooth black and orange box that looks cool, with a few ins and outs such as:

Mic input and controls with phantom power - Front

lots of control knobs on the front (see specs for details) - Front

Phones output on the front.. groovy... - Front

Output to amp 1 from the front for use with a real amp (maybe more later) - Front

A 'True-Z' input for the guitar - this can change the input impedance of the Eleven rack depending on which amp or effects is first in the signal chain - Front

FX Loop I/O 1/4 TRS IO for inserting mono or stereo external effects stuff in to the signal path. This can be line level or guitar level - at the back

Main outputs - do as you will with these - at the back

Output to amp 2 from the back of the Eleven rack - at the back

Digital IO AES/EBU up to 24-bit, 96Khz - at the back

S/PDIF in and out on RCA connectors - at the back

AC Power in - at the back

Line in (stereo or 2x mono) - at the back

MIDI I/O - in and out standard 5 pin - at the back

Expression Pedal/ footswitch input - at the back

Then theres the Protools LE software and of course the plugins you get which are extensive.

I'm not going to talk for hours on end about every last detail of this system - because its all over the net and I have better things to do. But I am going to highlight the things I like and don't like - which could well apply to you too - in this way it's a fairer view of the kit and is a view that nearly every other review will avoid like the plague - after all they all have some reason to give a good review -
In my experience, CS was great! they transfered the registration from the previous owner to me in a few hours, afte I printed out the form and signed it. after that, it was smooth sailing.

It's not a perfect unit, even the Axe 2 has a few things I would like to add on, but it does what it does pretty well.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Aug 5, 2011,
Yeah just with headphone use... just wanted to make sure that the output is safe and it won't do funny things to my headphones. I know what back when I started some guy said it can be bad for the headphones because of the distortion but I assume most headphone outputs are not going to do this.