So I am pretty new here and I have been doing a lot of research about amps

I am planning to buy a schecter hellraiser and I am pretty certain about this
However, I have no idea what amps to buy

I play metal like avenged sevenfold, trivium, dream theater and some old school rock like acdc and some punk

And I have saw and read many reviews about amp but I cannot decide
I came across amp like peavy vypyr 30w and vypyr 70w, Marshall mg series
But I just don't know what is the best amp

I am looking for some thing that is very versatile yet has lots of gain and sounds good
My budget is in between 100 - 250, combo tube amp.

Please help! Thank you!
Last edited by Mfkkmmi at Jul 18, 2011,
Quote by Mfkkmmi

I play metal like avenged sevenfold, trivium, dream theater and some old school rock like acdc and some punk

I am looking for some thing that is very versatile yet has lots of gain and sounds good

Please help! Thank you!

If you have done as much research as you claim you have, you'd realise that when starting out, an idea solution would be to get a comfortable but average guitar, and a better amp.

You're spending close to $600 or $700 on the guitar, but $250 on an amp?

Anyway to answer your question, Peavey Vypyr 30 will suffice.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
If you have done as much research as you claim you have, you'd realise that when starting out, an idea solution would be to get a comfortable but average guitar, and a better amp.

You're spending close to $600 or $700 on the guitar, but $250 on an amp?

Anyway to answer your question, Peavey Vypyr 30 will suffice.

I know it sounds kinda shitty that I'm spending only a little money on an amp but I am on a low budget and I'm trading my acoustic for the guitar so I don't have to pay the full price that's why I can't really spend too much money especially when I'm going off to college in the fall and my parents aren't giving me any money for me to use
Quote by Mfkkmmi
I know it sounds kinda shitty that I'm spending only a little money on an amp but I am on a low budget and I'm trading my acoustic for the guitar so I don't have to pay the full price that's why I can't really spend too much money especially when I'm going off to college in the fall and my parents aren't giving me any money for me to use

The alternative you can also look at is to trade your acoustic for a cheaper guitar so you don't ahve to inject more money in.

Personally unless you're absolutely dying to have that guitar, I'd recommend getting something with a headphone out for dorm practice. A 30 watter might be a little loud depending on your dorm mates and how sound proof your dorm is.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 18, 2011,
What is your total budget? We can probably work out a better solution for you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I wouldnt get the hellraiser, the standard models are incredibly better imo.

As for an amp get a Peavy 6150 Combo if your into Hardcore/Metalcore. The Vypyr wont pull of the tones your after very well without a od/dist stomp.
Quote by Mfkkmmi

Please help! Thank you!

am i the only one that picked up on this?

also what everyone else said dude, get a lower priced guitar. and unless you've got a martin&co or taylor or something like that then good luck making a straight swap. i too reccomend a more lower priced but still good guitar and a better amp.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Well I already have a good headphone that I bought before.

And as for the guitar, I am kind of desperate to have that guitar unless there's a better guitar with low price that you guys suggest.
I never really owned an electric guitar, I just played my sister's ibanez gio with some fender amp and it just did not sound good to me and I never got the sound I wanted so I decided to trade in my acoustic for an electric

As for budget, I honestly have no idea. I want to hold everything down under 1000 dollars and my acoustic is gonna cover a little of the budget
Quote by Dempsey68
am i the only one that picked up on this?

Yes you probably are. For me, when I saw that he was dropping a lot of cash on a hellraiser, and then only allocating a fraction towards an amp, the rest of the details became irrelevant, because the recommendation would not have fit in with what he was asking for anyway.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Mfkkmmi
And as for the guitar, I am kind of desperate to have that guitar unless there's a better guitar with low price that you guys suggest.
I never really owned an electric guitar

Here's a problem. Its your first electric guitar.

Why are you desperate to have THAT particular guitar?

Generally speaking, we don't recommend a guitar with a FR for a newbie - if the Hellraiser is FR equipped.

Why don't you get a starter guitar first then upgrade towards a better model? Granted that its financially smarter to get what you want, but are you sure your taste and preferences for guitars will remain unchanged in the next 3 years? 5 years?

Quote by Mfkkmmi
I just played my sister's ibanez gio with some fender amp and it just did not sound good to me and I never got the sound I wanted so I decided to trade in my acoustic for an electric

Here's the problem. Given that your sister has a Gio, I'm willing to bet some money that she's rocking a Fender Frontman.

Unlike acoustic of classical guitars, your amp will have a greater impact on your tone than your guitar will. Hence, we recommend spending more on an amp than your guitar.

Quote by Mfkkmmi
As for budget, I honestly have no idea. I want to hold everything down under 1000 dollars and my acoustic is gonna cover a little of the budget

What 1000? 1000 bones? US$? SG$? Ruppees? 1000 green crystals?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I personally think that if you can you you should get the hellraiser and a worse amp and then save for a better amp. it would cost less than buying a good amp and a guitar that dosnt show it of and then buying a new guitar after a few months. saving for an amp to show of your guitar is a much shorter wait and i personally think it is more worth. I bought a les paul and a CRAPPY ibanez amp and then i saved up for the Vox AC15C1 and i don't regret it at all. it was well worth the wait. I would get a Marshall MG or a Peavey Vypyr 30w if i were you. good luck
Quote by Mfkkmmi
Well I already have a good headphone that I bought before.

I never really owned an electric guitar, I just played my sister's ibanez gio with some fender amp and it just did not sound good to me and I never got the sound I wanted so I decided to trade in my acoustic for an electric

you didnt get the sound you wanted because you were playing through a fender amp. fenders cant usually do metal. amps are the major part of your sound.

anyway i'd suggest the peavey 6505/5150 like the other guy said or maybe the tube 60watt vypyr if you want some more variety from just br00tz, and then spending the rest of your budget on a guitar.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
The hellraiser that I was talking about isn't equipped with FR

And yeah think she has the fender frontman

And for the currency it's USD

I'm sorry if I make anyone annoyed or anything
I don't see the problem here really. I understand people saying you shouldn't spend 90% of your budget on your guitar then the remaining 10% on an amp, but a Vypyr is a great amp to start out on and you don't really need anything more than something like that to start with. Your getting a great guitar, and the Vypyr is an awesome amp for home use and practicing. You WILL need a bigger, better amp if you start jamming with a drummer and gigging etc. But for now, this is a great setup to aim for. I don't really understand why you guys are telling him different
I was thinking to get a good guitar and some what descent amp for now so when I save up some money, I can buy a better amp in the future
Quote by Levi79
I don't really understand why you guys are telling him different

I'm not discouraging him from getting the Peavey Vypyr, but I'm telling him to take a moment to reconsider the Hellraiser... if he's getting it for whatever silly reason (i.e. it looks METAL! I need a METAL guitar to play the brootalz) then he should think again.

Also, the other thing about a amp in dorms is that sometimes people get a little annoyed at the slightest guitar sound, even if they party louder than when you jam, hence I'm also saying that he should consider amps that have headphones out too.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
i would stick with the hellraiser and save up the money to get a really nice tube amp higher up if you wish in order to be really happy. I have a peavey bandit 112 that costs £199 and its great for thoso styles if this helps.

Gear:
Vintage VRS100
Marshall avt50h
Marshall haze cab
Vox ac15vr
Joyo Hot plexi pedal
Behringer SP400 phase shifter
Guitar tech analog delay
Vox Pathfinder 10
Quote by itamar100
I would get a Marshall MG

NO! If you take this guys advice this is the one thing to not due under any circumstances
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by TheFamousCow
i would stick with the hellraiser and save up the money to get a really nice tube amp higher up if you wish in order to be really happy. I have a peavey bandit 112 that costs £199 and its great for thoso styles if this helps.

agreed. especially if he likes the schecter that damn much, i don't think he'll be satisfied with a different guitar, even if it's just for the look of it. if it means he'll want to practice/jam more or stay interested longer, then i say why the hell not.

OP listen to everyone here - what they're saying makes complete sense and i wish i would have known about this place years ago. but at the same time, if you truly love the way that schecter hellraiser looks, then **** it, go for it. save up for a better amp later - the vypyr will be just fine for now. obviously for more experienced people here, tone/tubes/amp is very very important. to you, maybe it's the actual guitar itself. who knows. but it's your setup, not the forum's - do what keeps you happy and let everyone know how it goes. for the record though, i'd still put more of the money into a better amp instead. cheers!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
for a budget rig that can do death metal AND give you a headphone out -

I bought a used Vypyr 60 at Guitar Center for $315
I bought a new discontinued Schecter C1+ for $300

I can recommend both of these

+1
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
for a dorm situation this is what i recommend.
get your nice fancy hellraiser (its what you want). and get a line 6 pod. hook it up to headphones and play to yourself. you wont piss anyone off AND you can save up for a nice tube amp for the future.

im sorry but suggesting a 6505 for a college dorm is ridiculous. with the volume down it will sound like crap and you are wasting 600-700ish dollars on something you wont use the full potential of and quite frankly its something you don't need.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Thank you so much for the helps.
I appreciate every single comment that I got!
Quote by iheartgun
for a dorm situation this is what i recommend.
get your nice fancy hellraiser (its what you want). and get a line 6 pod. hook it up to headphones and play to yourself. you wont piss anyone off AND you can save up for a nice tube amp for the future.

im sorry but suggesting a 6505 for a college dorm is ridiculous. with the volume down it will sound like crap and you are wasting 600-700ish dollars on something you wont use the full potential of and quite frankly its something you don't need.
This.

Really, no amp, regardless of its wattage, is appropriate for a dorm situation. Even if you can operate it lower than TV volumes, it's still what it is: a guitar amp. People who know nothing about guitar don't know the difference between a 15w Vypyr and a 150w Mesa Triple Rec. Just the term "guitar amp" has the word "loud" associated with it. If people find out that you own a guitar amplifier of any type, you'll get complaints without even turning it on. So until you're out of college, no amp for you.

As iheartgun said, POD with headphones is the way to go. If you can afford it, get a POD HD. When you graduate, get a tube amp.
I noticed in your original post you mentioned the vypyr and the mg but at the end you said you were looking at a combo tube amp. If you wanna go the tube amp route id definitly look into bumping up your budget and getting a Jet City 20w combo. Put that with a good overdrive and you should be able to get all the tones you want.

If you do decide to go with the vypyr, which is a great amp, make sure you try it with a hellraiser to make sure you like it, i never liked the vypyr well with EMGs. I personally think EMGs sound much better through tube amps. Just dont get an MG.

Edit: if your going to a dorm the vypyr may be your best option if you want an amp.
Last edited by guitarpatrick66 at Jul 19, 2011,
Quote by ragingkitty
What 1000? 1000 bones? US$? SG$? Ruppees? 1000 green crystals?

I know you're trying to make a point, but what the hell could he possibly do with 1000 Rupees?

That's 25 USD...
Where's Waldo?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
This.

Really, no amp, regardless of its wattage, is appropriate for a dorm situation. Even if you can operate it lower than TV volumes, it's still what it is: a guitar amp. People who know nothing about guitar don't know the difference between a 15w Vypyr and a 150w Mesa Triple Rec. Just the term "guitar amp" has the word "loud" associated with it. If people find out that you own a guitar amplifier of any type, you'll get complaints without even turning it on. So until you're out of college, no amp for you.

As iheartgun said, POD with headphones is the way to go. If you can afford it, get a POD HD. When you graduate, get a tube amp.

Really? I took several days for people to start recommending what I recommended right at the start of the thread?

Quote by ragingkitty
The alternative you can also look at is to trade your acoustic for a cheaper guitar so you don't ahve to inject more money in.

Personally unless you're absolutely dying to have that guitar, I'd recommend getting something with a headphone out for dorm practice. A 30 watter might be a little loud depending on your dorm mates and how sound proof your dorm is.

Quote by ragingkitty
Also, the other thing about a amp in dorms is that sometimes people get a little annoyed at the slightest guitar sound, even if they party louder than when you jam, hence I'm also saying that he should consider amps that have headphones out too.

Quote by chadreed32
I know you're trying to make a point, but what the hell could he possibly do with 1000 Rupees?

And your point being? You just illustrated what I was trying to tell the TS he forgot to indicate.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 19, 2011,
i shall reccomend you sell your guitar and if u in the US look into Agile guitars. they make just about everytype of guitar with high specs and REALLY cheap. rondomusic.com. planning on getting the silverburst al-3100 soon but they have metal guitars too. hopefully if u take my advice you will have a more then decent gutiar and room to buy a nice modeler like the POD HD. you could look for smaller alternatives but no tube amp that small is going to get you into the range of tones you are looking for..... let me know how it goes man.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED