I tried to get some info about modes from my Music teacher. This is what he taught me..................

- Modes are re-arranged scales
- You start the next mode with the next note.

So it should go like this. Taking the C major (C D E F G A B C) scale as reference.......

C Ionian: (C D E F G A B C)
D Dorian: (D E F G A B C D)
E Phrygian: (E F G A B C D E)
F Lydian: (F G A B C D E F)
G Mixolydian: (G A B C D E F G)
A Aeolian: (A B C D E F G A)
B Locrian: (B C D E F G A B)

^^ Is this correct?
My next question is: How can I apply this to soloing? I mean its all the same notes, so there won't be any change in the sound right?
Or is it like when soloing in the key of C Major you can use C Phrygian/ C Lydian etc?

What do I need to know about modes? This stuff is giving me a headache.

Thanks,
modal playing is difficult to explain for me specially now that its like 2 in the mornign

you got the modes right as far as i can tell

and modes are played over the chord progression as to get different sounds
tyr playing E5-F5 and playing the Ephryian mode over that itll sound alot different than Cmajor scale kinda spanish

easy way to play like this is to make a 2 chord vamp
like the iii-IV which is phyrgian sounding that i told you about
or try a IV- V vamp and play the lydian mode(Fmaj-Gmaj in C) it wouls have that lydian feel

it also kinda happens when your soloing over a progression as the chord your playing over kinda tell you which mode youre in at them moment depening on with notes your playing
you kinda just have to play with them and theyll make more sense

or you could drone out a note
like drone out an F note while playin the Flydian and it will sound lydian til you do something that makes the "feel" of another mode(like drone out another note or resolve to the tonic of C major scale)
also you should have you diatonic and chord thoery down pretty good if your studying modes
Last edited by supersac at Jul 18, 2011,
They're just the keys of the major scale with different tonal centers, in the most rudimentary explanation. Don't even mess with them theoretically until you get the important stuff down. However, the shapes of each of the modal 'scales' are just different shapes of the major scale, so for all intents and purposes if you're having issues with boxes you could use them to help find your way around the neck provided you remember where your roots are.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Everything you said is right except for the application. Using C phrygian in C major would not work very well because phrygian is meant to be a variation of C minor. Lydian, however, would work fine in the right application in C major. Ionian is the major scale. Dorian is a variation of the minor. Phrygian is a variation of the minor. Lydian is a variation of major. Mixolydian is a variation of major. Aeolian is the minor scale. Locrian is a type of diminished scale.

Interval wise they are spelled
Ionian - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Dorian - 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
Phrygian - 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Lydian - 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7
Mixolydian - 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7
Aeolian - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Locrian - 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7

Essentially they are meant to be parallels.
A lot of times they are played over chord progressions that are derived from the scale themselves but not always. It's music, break the rules if it sounds good.
Last edited by thelordofdarkch at Jul 18, 2011,
Quote by MaddMann274
I tried to get some info about modes from my Music teacher. This is what he taught me..................

- Modes are re-arranged scales
- You start the next mode with the next note.

So it should go like this. Taking the C major (C D E F G A B C) scale as reference.......

C Ionian: (C D E F G A B C)
D Dorian: (D E F G A B C D)
E Phrygian: (E F G A B C D E)
F Lydian: (F G A B C D E F)
G Mixolydian: (G A B C D E F G)
A Aeolian: (A B C D E F G A)
B Locrian: (B C D E F G A B)

^^ Is this correct?
My next question is: How can I apply this to soloing? I mean its all the same notes, so there won't be any change in the sound right?
Or is it like when soloing in the key of C Major you can use C Phrygian/ C Lydian etc?

What do I need to know about modes? This stuff is giving me a headache.

Thanks,

You might want to do a search here and read some stickys from the Mode thread. Its really the best way. I personally have written about it at least 100 times since I've been here. Its cyclical. About 1 to 2 times each month people post these questions. You're the guy right now. All the answers to this question have been done and redone. I'd suggest that you spend 10-15 minutes researching it.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
You might want to do a search here and read some stickys from the Mode thread. Its really the best way. I personally have written about it at least 100 times since I've been here. Its cyclical. About 1 to 2 times each month people post these questions. You're the guy right now. All the answers to this question have been done and redone. I'd suggest that you spend 10-15 minutes researching it.

Best,

Sean

Yeah I'm a bit over it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud