Hey
Im sitting here trying to decide what is best:

The Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster Special

or the Fender Classic Player Jaguar Special HH

What do you think? I play in a sludge/post rock band and want a solid guitar overall.
I have the Jaguar Special HH (MIJ) and love it. The humbuckers are great and the guitar really feels and plays awesome. i don't think either would be a mistake but i would vote for the Jaguar.
I'm not an expert but aren't the jaguar necks just small scale versions of the jazzmaster necks? Either way I'd go for the jazzmaster because it has P90s rather than humbuckers. They would probably sound a lot better for what you want to play.
Quote by ranciday
I'm not an expert but aren't the jaguar necks just small scale versions of the jazzmaster necks? Either way I'd go for the jazzmaster because it has P90s rather than humbuckers. They would probably sound a lot better for what you want to play.

Well, you're obviously not an expert, because there is so much wrong with this post.

1) Jaguar necks are "short scale"; 24" to be exact, it's one of the shortest neck scales available on any non-student* guitar. Secondly, I'm not sure what you meant by "versions of the Jazzmaster necks" because well, for one, they have slightly different headstock shapes (the "fin" on the Jaguar is sharper, and the curve going into the neck is bigger on the JM)

2) The Jazzmasters do not have P-90s. They use Jazzmaster pickups (the Pickup is named for the guitar).

EDIT: *If you need me to explain the term "student guitar", I will if you ask. It's kind of archaic.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Jul 18, 2011,
the jaguar has more switches, so it probably has more tonal shaping options. play both and see which is best
Quote by kangaxxter
Well, you're obviously not an expert, because there is so much wrong with this post.

1) Jaguar necks are "short scale"; 24" to be exact, it's one of the shortest neck scales available on any non-student* guitar. Secondly, I'm not sure what you meant by "versions of the Jazzmaster necks" because well, for one, they have slightly different headstock shapes (the "fin" on the Jaguar is sharper, and the curve going into the neck is bigger on the JM)

2) The Jazzmasters do not have P-90s. They use Jazzmaster pickups (the Pickup is named for the guitar).

EDIT: *If you need me to explain the term "student guitar", I will if you ask. It's kind of archaic.

You are one of the many assholes on this website my friend
Quote by JazzmastersFTW
You are one of the many assholes on this website my friend

Well, at least I don't break the rules by necroposting.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I had a an original 1962 Jag and most of the criticisms you've ever heard about them are mostly true. If it were me, I would give the Jazzmaster a chance then decide.
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
Quote by kangaxxter
Well, at least I don't break the rules by necroposting.

Doing what? You're being even more obnoxious.
Quote by JazzmastersFTW
No, you are. Necroposting is bumping up an old, dead thread for no reason, to add nothing of value. Look at the date of the last post in this thread before yours. Seven months, This thread has been untouched and defunct for seven months, and now you've bought it back just to call someone an asshole. Which is particularly bad considering that the user you're complaining about posted correct, helpful advice.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by JazzmastersFTW

If you don't understand forum etiquette, maybe you shouldn't be posting at all.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi