Hi,

sorry if this is in the wrong catagory, not sure where it should go...

basically, I've been having an issue with hum from my amp.

I have an epiphone les paul custom, and am running that into a vox pathfinder (for now)

A friend of mine told me it could be the cable, as I was using a cheap (£3) cable, but after upgrading to a better one, nothing has changed!

the humming stops as soon as the guitar is earthed through me (i.e. whenever I touch any metal component of the guitar)

I've tried seeing if it's the electrical components in my house, the hum is quieter in the day time, but it's still there, and I know the dimmer switches in our house make it much worse at night, but as I said, no huge improvement in the day.

Is this a guitar issue or an amp issue?

I should state I bought the guitar ex-demo, and I do intend to change out the pickups before xmas, in case that is the problem.

The jack socket is a little loose, but I have tightened that up, and that didn't help either...

any help on the matter would be hugely appreciated!

P.S.

If necessary, I can record the hum and post it up here
This happened to me once, it is most likely a ground issue with the input jack. Take the input jack out and make sure all the wires are connected right, or bring it into a shop and have them take a look at it.
hmmm.. had the same problem, but then I moved the stuff into the rehearsinglocal and bang it was gone! if nothing works, try buying a "noise surpressor" pedal or something, should work.
Quote by Shreddie-Sharp
hmmm.. had the same problem, but then I moved the stuff into the rehearsinglocal and bang it was gone! if nothing works, try buying a "noise surpressor" pedal or something, should work.

If I used a noise supressor and was still getting hum, would that mean the amplifier is faulty?
naa, could as well be as the one above me posted; something's bad with the electrical input if its bad grounded or something as well, many aspects there, but try if you can borrow a noise surpressor before you actually buy one so you know if that one would solve it or not
hey! open guitar and check if grounding is ok -....... try playing in other room my friend had this problem beacuse of radiation of his computer
Gear:
-Squier Bullet Strat

DUNLOP CRY BABY

-Peavey ValveKing 212
ok an update, all of a sudden, on the rhythm pickup, the low E string is CRAZY loud compared to the others, guessing this rules out the amp as the problem
thats gibsons /epiphone / whatevers crappy wire job. re solder all the wires its not that hard and will fix the prob. i fix alot of high end gibsons that do this so it dosent suprise me the your epi is doing it to. and ive olny ever seen the pup volume problem on les pauls so its olny gibson corp that has this issue

another option is to just buy a jackson or a mid to high grade bc rich. then you will have a guitar with minimal problems and awsome playabiliby.
Quote by hawk6611
thats gibsons /epiphone / whatevers crappy wire job. re solder all the wires its not that hard and will fix the prob. i fix alot of high end gibsons that do this so it dosent suprise me the your epi is doing it to. and ive olny ever seen the pup volume problem on les pauls so its olny gibson corp that has this issue

another option is to just buy a jackson or a mid to high grade bc rich. then you will have a guitar with minimal problems and awsome playabiliby.

when you say all the wires, are you including the pickups to the pots? or just the connections in the input jack?

would a noise supressor be effective in killing this hum when the dimmer switches are on at night?
update:

it's been to the repair man, and he determined there was a fault in the jack (it wasn't a loose cable, the jack it self was shite) so he's put a new one on,

HOWEVER!

the hum is reduced, but it's still there! any guesses on what that might be?

it still stops when I touch the guitar