Ok, so I'm completely new to using a guitar with a pc, so it's possible that this is an easy fix. The story is that I'm currently borrowing my friend's MBox 2 Mini interface, but he lost the software, so I have downloaded the Guitar Rig Player. After a bit of fiddling around I've got it all sorted out as far as getting the program running and getting it to produce sound etc, but the moment I play any guitar through it I get a horrible crackling sound. I've tried turning down the volume, increased the noise gate, tried it clean and with distortion, no matter what I do there is always a massive crackling sound. Any ideas on how to get rid of it?
Do you use Asio4all? It can be an error of driver or something
Gear

Fender Squier Stratocaster
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Line6 Spider III 75W
Line6 POD Studio UX1
make sure it is using asio drivers, preferably native ones from the interface if it has them?
then increase the buffer length in the asio driver settings, the bigger the buffer the less errors but it will induce delay as well

oh and a good tip: you can output the sound from the interface into an amp and record the impulses clean then apply the guitar rig effects to the dry guitar sound after recording
Thanks for the help guys, but it has some how fixed itself. I restarted my computer and plugged in a different guitar and there were no problems. Tried the guitar I'd been trying before and it wasn't working at all, then tried a third guitar and it was fine. Went back to the original guitar yet again and now it's working fine. It would appear my Eclipse has a dodge jack or something similar, never had an issue going straight through the amp though, so I have no idea what's going on haha.

And thanks for that the tip funeralllllllll (It took me far too long to figure out how many of the letter "l" was in your name lol), I'll certainly give that a try