hey guys as the title says im tryng to get back into guitar..
ive fallen out of love with it and i put it down to a few reasons...

1)I jumped way ahead of myself when begining..didnt want to learn theory or chords
I just wanted to be badass with my axe skillz...

2)all I ever wanted to play was metal being a foolish teen I never really took time to look for music that wasnt brootz.

3)runing before I could walk everyone wants to be able to play the hardest solos/songs but I think that was the final nail in the coffin as i just got frustrated and demotivated

so this time I want to try again... but im staying away from metal from quite a while i want to learn the chords and the theory i want to know im doing things right with no shortcuts. how would you guys go about doing this I mean I cant really afford to get a teacher plus I hear they can be very hit or miss.

Ive been out of playing for a good2-3 years now so I will pretty much be starting over so any info/advise you can offer would be a real help
cheers in advance!
my gear:
jackson dk2m
ibanez grg170dx.
peavey vyper 15
warwick corvette 5 string
ashdown 5 15
My suggestion for technique is start off learning all the major and minor open chords. After that I would move on to some sus2, sus4, and m7 chords. Once you can call on any of those from memory I'd start moving into the barre versions of all of them, that way you have a pretty good variety of options all over the neck.

In the theory department, get to know the circle of fifths. Then move into your major and minor scale shapes, major and minor pentatonic shapes. Arpeggios are prolly the next step after that, then maybe more exotic scales and/or scale modes.

Mind you all of these things should be practiced with the help of a metronome. Set reasonable goals for yourself and keep at it. My suggestion is allot a certain amount of time per practice session to both areas. I also recomend taking some time to learn easy covers. Nobody likes to sit around and just practice scales and chords all day every day. Learning songs gives you things to look forward to. Be dilligent, but also patient and you'll be rockin in no time
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
You don't need to 'stay away from metal' just pick reasonably easy songs to begin with. It's a good idea to have a weekly practice schedule, that way you know you are covering everything with every practice session. Songs, solos, technique, theory, and then applying that theory (coming up with interesting chord inversions, progressions and maybe even licks) , improvising to a drum or rhythm track and then writing could be some things that you cover during practice. Learning the basics of blues and blues soloing could help with your phrasing.
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
i found that the free tutorials on you tube helped a bunch, free tabs here and other sites.

jam with people better than you at every opportunity. most people like to show someone how to do something.

pick it up every day. that's probably the most important thing for me. at least a 30 minute wanking if nothing else.

you said it yourself, start easy, move on from there.

also

life is short, buy excellent gear.

just a few things to consider. great advice in this thread so far.
cheers for all the replies chaps
im really looking forward to playing again.
my gear:
jackson dk2m
ibanez grg170dx.
peavey vyper 15
ashdown 5 15
well, im pretty much a self taught guitarist, but yeah, open major and minor chords, playing major scales, playing them in different positions on the fretboard, and just being able to play cleanly before you start to pick up speed. sloppy technique is okay sometimes in metal where gain will cover your mistakes but you shouldnt get into that habit
Quote by shecter guy
well, im pretty much a self taught guitarist, but yeah, open major and minor chords, playing major scales, playing them in different positions on the fretboard, and just being able to play cleanly before you start to pick up speed. sloppy technique is okay sometimes in metal where gain will cover your mistakes but you shouldnt get into that habit

This is never acceptable. You need to have that mindset as well or you'll fight much much harder to be successful. Everything is cumulative so accepting sloppiness on one technique will cause techniques you learn later to be uncomfortable, sloppy, and much more difficult.
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by gregs1020

also

life is short, buy excellent gear.

Haha, I like your style
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
im also thinking of picking up a new amp but instead of a amp i was thinking of getting a pod or somthing along those lines for just practising at home...it will save space for me aswell...
my gear:
jackson dk2m
ibanez grg170dx.
peavey vyper 15
ashdown 5 15