Page 1 of 2
Through a mixture of luck and planning, I get to go to Japan for a week with my dad and sister. This in itself is, to me, absolutely amazing, but I was thinking of all the really cool stuff that they have in Japan that we don't get over here, or is stupidly expensive, that I could get. So, Pit, what would you recommend I get while I'm there?
Laid
I'M EXPRESSING MY INNER ANQUISH THROUGH THE MAJESTY OF SONG

soadamy <3

I saw it on the internet [Pit], so it must be true!

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
A little child.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
buy a robot hooker. that'd be pretty cool huh?
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Great, have fun here. You will either love or hate Japan. Are you coming to Tokyo?

By the way, you might want to get some guitars here. Depending on which city you're going, you might get access to ESP stuff.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Its still hair, you know.
buy a shamisen.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by metaldud536
Some kind of sex pillow of some anime girl.
Those sex eggs they sell
Hentai DVDs
Hentai games

You can get all of that in America, and I assume the UK as well.

OT: Eat some real ramen, and try to swing it so that you are there during cherry blossom season.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by radomu
Great, have fun here. You will either love or hate Japan. Are you coming to Tokyo?

By the way, you might want to get some guitars here. Depending on which city you're going, you might get access to ESP stuff.

Yeah, starting and finishing in Tokyo. Going to use the train to get everywhere. Can't afford anything big like guitars at the moment unfortunately!
Go to the ESP Craft House in Shibuya, Tokyo (off of the Yamanote Line) and have fun drooling at all the cool guitars they have there.

You can also check out Ishibashi's stores there for more guitar shopping (they carry a lot of used stuff, too, that is hard to get in the U.S.). They have them in Shinjuku and Ikebukuro, both of which are also off of the Yamanote Line.
http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/eng/store.html

In addition, out of the east end of Shinjuku Station and across a bridge from the Century Southern Tower Hotel, I think it is, there is a huge Kinokuniya bookstore that has a floor devoted to english language books, magazines and newspapers. It's a good place to get maps of Tokyo and the rest of Japan as well as tourist information. They also carry anime, cd's, dvd's (keep in mind, though, that Japan is in a different region than America, so I don't know if you can watch Japanese DVD's on American machines---thanks copyright Nazis!)

There is a Tower Records store (run by a different company from the U.S. one that went bankrupt) in Shibuya and you can find a lot of J-Rock and Japanese metal stuff there that you can't in the U.S. Stock up on X Japan and Versailles!

In West Shinjuku, there are some cool little hole in the wall record stores that carry bootlegs. If you have the time check them out.
Quote by CrawlingHorror
Go to the ESP Craft House in Shibuya, Tokyo (off of the Yamanote Line) and have fun drooling at all the cool guitars they have there.

You can also check out Ishibashi's stores there for more guitar shopping (they carry a lot of used stuff, too, that is hard to get in the U.S.). They have them in Shinjuku and Ikebukuro, both of which are also off of the Yamanote Line.
http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/eng/store.html

In addition, out of the east end of Shinjuku Station and across a bridge from the Century Southern Tower Hotel, I think it is, there is a huge Kinokuniya bookstore that has a floor devoted to english language books, magazines and newspapers. It's a good place to get maps of Tokyo and the rest of Japan as well as tourist information. They also carry anime, cd's, dvd's (keep in mind, though, that Japan is in a different region than America, so I don't know if you can watch Japanese DVD's on American machines---thanks copyright Nazis!)

There is a Tower Records store (run by a different company from the U.S. one that went bankrupt) in Shibuya and you can find a lot of J-Rock and Japanese metal stuff there that you can't in the U.S. Stock up on X Japan and Versailles!

In West Shinjuku, there are some cool little hole in the wall record stores that carry bootlegs. If you have the time check them out.

That's really helpful, thanks dude!
Go to a restaurant and get real sushi. The difference between what you've had and what they have there is amazing. Also, ask for melon Fanta soda. A lot of Japanese restaurants carry it, and it is the most amazing soda you will ever have (it can't be bought in America). Have fun!
Japan exclusive Fenders. Yum. I love mine.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Unleash your inner nerd- get at least one Japanese exclusive video game like Mother 3 that you can't get in the US.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by michal23
Yeah, starting and finishing in Tokyo. Going to use the train to get everywhere. Can't afford anything big like guitars at the moment unfortunately!

Ah, that's a shame. Well, this is the best advice that I can give.

How much time do you have? I'll list a few districts (I'll name the stations that they're based in; when people name locations in Japan they usually point to the closest train station) in Tokyo that you might want to visit:

Akihabara(秋葉原)- An entire city of electronic devices, computer-related stuff, anime, video games, and whole bunch of nerdy stores.

Ochanomizu(御茶ノ水)- A district with a LARGE student population, it has an entire road leading up to the station of about three dozen guitar stores. It's like heaven if you like instruments and it has everything from second hand to classy instrument stores. It's what you get if you multiply Denmark Street in Soho by about 20.

Shibuya(渋谷)- The main center for young people, it's full of shops that sell clothes, nightclubs, affordable food, bookstores, a few guitar stores, and pretty much everything that someone in our age group needs. It's crowded, but I highly recommend it. I used to go to school there between Year 1 to 8. Just down the road a few kilometers, you have Harajuku, which is the fashion capital of Tokyo.

Ginza(銀座)- A classy shopping district mainly for classy people and business elites. It has a lot of classy restaurants and very close to the government-related building.

Shinjuku(新宿)- A self-proclaimed "capital of Tokyo", it's divided in East and West. In the West you have the most magnificent skyscrapers in Tokyo which is worth just walking around in the super-futuristic environment. In my opinion, it resembles the City of London, but much larger and tidier. In the East, it's a bit like Shibuya except it's more intended for an older generation. Your father might enjoy there.

Roppongi (六本木)- You can only access it by the subway, but it's a very wealthy part of Tokyo with a large foreign population. Roppongi Hills and Tokyo Midtown is definitely worth visiting.

I think this is just about what you can cover in a week. There are much more places that you can visit and spend money on in Tokyo because this city is freaking large, but I recommend these.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Last edited by radomu at Jul 18, 2011,
Where in Tokyo is your hotel?
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by mtshark
Unleash your inner nerd- get at least one Japanese exclusive video game like Mother 3 that you can't get in the US.

I don't think it'd be playable in an american/foreign console would it?
Quote by radomu
Where in Tokyo is your hotel?

I think we're staying in Shinjuku. That's a real good description of the areas man, thanks a lot. I think it could well end up with me going to places like Akihabara while my dad goes to East Shinjuku or something

Quote by stratkat
I don't think it'd be playable in an american/foreign console would it?

Japan and the UK have the same DVD region, so I presume video games would work the same.
This is a blog by a black guy from San Francisco (I think) that went to Japan to become an English teacher. It is pretty entertaining and could be useful in learning about the street life.
There is a part about the Tokyo night life that you should read.

http://classic.dryang.org/japanese/teacher.html

Also, get some of that cube shaped watermelon.
Last edited by Extra Ordinary at Jul 18, 2011,
Quote by michal23
Japan and the UK have the same DVD region, so I presume video games would work the same.

Neat, I wish they'd release earthbound/mother on the wii store, or for handheld>>
Find a vinyl copy of Satori by Flower Travellin' Band.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Find a vinyl copy of Satori by Flower Travellin' Band.

I'm also gonna try and find Boris and Susumu Yokota. And anything else I like that happens to have 78 Japanese bonus tracks (I'm looking at you, Radiohead).
Quote by metaldud536
Some kind of sex pillow of some anime girl.
Those sex eggs they sell
Hentai DVDs
Hentai games

I don't know what it is but I want it.

They sell those sex eggs in the US in shops all over the place.
Quote by radomu

This is what I was going to say...Caparison . So much cheaper in japan !
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
A lot of food
Sex
Panties out of a vending machine
Anything out of a vending machine
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Extra Ordinary
This is a blog by a black guy from San Francisco (I think) that went to Japan to become an English teacher. It is pretty entertaining and could be useful in learning about the street life.
There is a part about the Tokyo night life that you should read.

http://classic.dryang.org/japanese/teacher.html

Also, get some of that cube shaped watermelon.

Read the first blog post...

"Bigu dikku?" "No no no." "Oh, sumaru dikku?"
*Points to avatar*

They sell the BEST Rubik's Cubes in Japan. I watched a video on Youtube of the actual version of the store I visit online for Rubik's cubes... it has about 30 different types of standard cube and then almost every variation, or distant cousin.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Page 1 of 2