The title might seem slightly misleading, but to make a long story short a good friend of mine recently broke his Ashdown Mag 300 head. He has since got hold of a new head and well, a whole new rig but that isnt important.

Im just curious to what can go wrong with a head? There was no sound coming from it what so ever if i remember correctly, what could be wrong with it and could it be repaired without spending too much money?
There are a lot of things that can go wrong with an amp. Smaller problems like a blown fuse or a faulty wire in the power connection can be fixed for a few dollars. Bigger problems are blown power output transformers and speakers in combos which can cost hundreds to repair. Since I believe that the Ashdown Mag 300 is solid state, you can rule out any bad tubes.
Take it to a tech. Don't go dicking around inside amps if you don't know what you're doing with electronics. You can do even more damage to the amp and more importantly, yourself.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Yeah, ive gone into things all guns blazing and ended up making things 10x worse... Will shops charge to find out whats wrong with it? I imagine they would, but how much will it be roughly?
If there is power to any of the indicator lights, you can rule out a blown fuse or faulty wire. You could hook up the head to a new cabinet to check that it drives it, which would rule out any blown speakers in the cabinet. Output transformers should be tested with an ohmeter by a professional repairman. They are extremely dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. There could also be other problems with a solid state head, such as fried electronic components in the circuit board, which could be repaired, but would probably cost about as much as purchasing a new amp head.
Most amp repairs I've had done have cost under $200. A bad output transformer or circuit board could run two or three times that. It's usually about $50 to have a repairman look at it, which is deducted from the cost of the repair if you decide to have it done.
Considering a second hand one of these is averaging about £200 i doubt its worth paying to get it checked out, the lights still work so i know its not the power to it.
Could be something as simple as a dodgy input jack though. Get a few phone numbers and ring around asking how much they charge for a diagnosis.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB