hey, i looked around a bit and figured this was the best place to post this...sorry if its not!

Anyway, Im looking into starting to play 12 string, ive been playing 6 for about 2 1/2 years now and I'd like to have a go at 12.

But I don't know which guitar to buy. Id prefer it to be no more than £250 ish (Im 16! I have a budget!!!), but I'd like to get the best one out there for that amount of money.

I've looked at:
http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/info_00074265.html
http://www.ssl.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/46996-ashton-music-d25-12-acoustic-12-string-guitar.html
http://www.ssl.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/10100-yamaha-fg720s-12.html
http://www.ssl.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/54149-ibanez-v7212e-12-string-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar.html
http://www.ssl.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/58024-washburn-wd10sce-12-string-electro-acoustic-guitar-natural.html
http://www.ssl.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/43840-stagg-12-string-electro-acoustic-concert-4-band-eq-tuner-violinburst.html

Im not bothered if its electro-acoustic or just straight acoustic as I don't play live often (just church stuff and friends/family holidays etc).

Any advice?

Oh and I have a ridiculous hatred for black guitars...i dont know why, they just look cheap no matter the price! But that was kind of irrelevant...

Thanks
I reckon you should go into a big shop with a good selection and strum some, see what feels and sounds the best
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Dude, so this is what I tell everyone lookin' for a 12 string. Mitchell MD100S12 They're $250 and about 200 during the holidays. Seriously they're sooooo good for the price. Now, you gotta be careful though, cuz the craftsmanship of Mitchell's is shotty. Some are really good, but sometimes you get one that was poorly made. That's usually in the 100 dollar 6 string category though. I've never played a bad 12 string by them.

Don't know what Guitar Center is like where you live (UK?) but they carry Mitchell. This guitar is cheap and amazing! Good luck man
1966 Stella Harmony Acoustic
Epiphone Dot Studio
Fender Starcaster (Made by 5 year olds in China)
THE Epiphone Mandolin
Dean 7 String (Totally Korean)
Yamaha C45m
Mitchell 12 MD100S

More Strings=More Range=More BadAssery
Thanks to both of you. Ive tried out all the ones I listed and quite liked most of them, I think the stagg was marginally above the others in my opinion (not very educated opinion I may add!). I'll definitely look into the Mitchell though, thanks again.

Has anyone ever played any of the ones listed, if so, opinions?
i'd try and find a long-term review of the stagg if you could, i have one of their strats and it's not the best quality wise, altough still a pretty nice guitar. i imagine 12-string acoustics have to be higher quality due to the higher tension and what have you
Out of that lot i would be buying the Yammy. What ever you buy make sure you play it first, let your ears be the judge. Cheers
As said...go to a shop or shops and play some. Use yer hands. fingers and ears; not yer eyes. Avoid the mfgr's label and price tag until you have it down to a short list. Only then does price or maker come into play.
I've played lotsa 12's that cost huge sums that felt like playing a 2X4 and only sounded ho-hum. Of course, I've played more cheapies that were worse; but there are gems out there at price points well below the mid-line.

Best advice is to find an inexpensive 12 that comes real close to yer idea of perfection. Thataways, when the thing sits for months or ya get tired of the aggravation and unusual sound, you won't be out much cash. Obversely; if you find that the 12 is the "be-all, end-all" that fits you to a "T", you can always upgrade and not be out much cash for the experience.

HTH,
D-10
I bought an Oscar Schmidt 12 string for around $300 (American) and it sounds amazing. I don't know that I would replace it with anything save a jumbo bodied guild 12. (because I have a serious weak spot for Guilds).

But, yeah, Oscar Schmidt is the way to go.
Epiphone EJ 200 CE
Oscar Schmidt 12 String
Magnatone Zephyr
Several harmonicas
Kenucky Mandolin
Crestwood Resonator
Dean Playmate Acoustic Bass
Jasmine By Takamine S35
This is the best answer here and quoted.

No one can tell your tastes, the way you hear things, etc... so it is best to go out on your own and try as many 12's as you can find. Keep doing it until you find the guitar of your dreams and buy it.

Quote by deltaten
As said...go to a shop or shops and play some. Use yer hands. fingers and ears; not yer eyes. Avoid the mfgr's label and price tag until you have it down to a short list. Only then does price or maker come into play.
I've played lotsa 12's that cost huge sums that felt like playing a 2X4 and only sounded ho-hum. Of course, I've played more cheapies that were worse; but there are gems out there at price points well below the mid-line.

Best advice is to find an inexpensive 12 that comes real close to yer idea of perfection. Thataways, when the thing sits for months or ya get tired of the aggravation and unusual sound, you won't be out much cash. Obversely; if you find that the 12 is the "be-all, end-all" that fits you to a "T", you can always upgrade and not be out much cash for the experience.

HTH,
D-10
thanks for your advice. Im definately going to try a few more out.

are there any not on my list that you think may be worth testing/looking out for?
I would go the the Tanglewood. They are known for making good quality guitars in the low end.
so are seagull, the other godin brands and yamaha.

Quote by Guitar Hack
I would go the the Tanglewood. They are known for making good quality guitars in the low end.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
so are seagull, the other godin brands and yamaha.

Agreed!. I picked up a $199 Tanglewood the other day and could not believe the tone that came out of it. YOu won't find that quality with an Ibanez or Fender though Hohner now has a decent sounding guitar for $250 with a solid top.
I recently had the same problem and wwas not sure what to buy in the end i found a yamaha fg 410 12a on ebay went and played it and it sounded bettter and looked better than any i tried i love it what i will say is my friend bought a one the same but the action was painful and atrip to local luthier sorted it we both have one now and they play and sound and feel amazing my friend has been playing about 30 year and he says its the best guitar he has ever played aND I LOVE MINE