I hope to apply to study Music at University in the next few years and thought it would be good to learn a second instrument to guitar.
A choice that seems to have pros and cons is the violin. Whilst its very popular, i think it may be slightly easier for me to pick up than other instruments as i have developed finger strength and dexterity from years of guitar.

Is there anyone who plays both and has any advice even vaguely helpful towards violin? much appreciated
Learn piano. Pretty much all music students have to learn it, so you might as well get a leg up on it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Violin is the same tuning as an electric bass, or the top (or bottom? I never know which...) strings on a guitar - EADG. It'll be really easy to pick up.
R.I.P. PAUL GILBERT

You will be missed...
Maybe you should learn piano also.

But the main thing with violin is to do some bitchin' covers of awesome songs.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
Quote by Shazazmic
Violin is the same tuning as an electric bass, or the top (or bottom? I never know which...) strings on a guitar - EADG. It'll be really easy to pick up.

Except it's the other way around. GDAE.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Learn piano. Pretty much all music students have to learn it, so you might as well get a leg up on it.

This, I'm just starting as a music student and not knowing piano is making it a bit difficult.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
I think it'll be a little harder since there aren't any frets. Never played so I can't help too much. I think Violas sound cooler imo.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Yeah thanks i was thinking... i KNOW the piano and can play it to a grade 1-2 standard i will keep at that definitely but thats for basic musical theory and i wanted another practical instrument on top of those
Cello, sounds nicer and has a similar distance between notes when compared to a guitar.

but, piano is a better shot.
Check out my Tumblr
Quote by Victory2134
The world seemed like a better place when I didn't know what racism, genocide, and the internet was.
Violin is much harder to pick up than the guitar, especially as you get older. It is not at all like the guitar. It is more beneficial to become more proficient on keyboard not only to facilitate learning music theory but also in music production.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 18, 2011,
Piano 100%. Everything you know on how a guitar works musically applies to piano as well. The scales, sequences, progressions, choices of notes, all translate direction to a piano.

As far as violin, it's a VERY different instrument to play when compared to guitar. Your hand/wrist positioning is totally different and held in such a way that what you're used to doing on a guitar would be reversed, the tuning is different, you're using a bow instead of a pick, which GREATLY changes how you play it.

If you WANT to learn violin, then that's a great reason to learn it. If you're looking for something 'just because,' and have no real vested interest in becoming good at it or loving to play it, go with piano simply because what you know will translate more easily to it.

I personally love both piano and violin, though.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by OtherGuy
Yeah thanks i was thinking... i KNOW the piano and can play it to a grade 1-2 standard i will keep at that definitely but thats for basic musical theory and i wanted another practical instrument on top of those

In music school, you're going to be focusing on your main instrument and piano. (Unless piano is your main instrument of course.) Focus on those two. Everything else is much less important from an academic standpoint. Go ahead and learn something else if you want, but don't expect it to do a lot for you from a school standpoint. Practice guitar and piano first and foremost.
Quote by dudetheman

Isn't violin like the guitar of the orchestral world? So many people play it that it is hard to stand out from the crowd?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Hang on, this wasnt about should i learn piano or violin... this was about whether violin would be manageable to pick up fairly quickly to an experienced guitarist... can we please take it back to that?
Quote by OtherGuy
Hang on, this wasnt about should i learn piano or violin... this was about whether violin would be manageable to pick up fairly quickly to an experienced guitarist... can we please take it back to that?

No, it's not. I don't know where you've got this impression that they are similar, because they aren't. And I'm telling you that with both experiences.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by OtherGuy

Unless you get a good teacher, no. And I've been a college music student and Xiaoxi goes to Berklee. We're trying to give you some actually good advice instead of telling you if what you're thinking is possible.
Quote by dudetheman

I actually did the opposite - I've played violin for around 14 years now and guitar for 7. I will say that, first off, the violin is a much, much harder instrument to learn than the guitar. I wouldn't recommend learning it without a teacher, and I would also say that learning to read music and not just play by ear is essential. Something to bear in mind is the steep learning curve; you sound absolutely terrible when you first start, but progress more quickly once you have the basics (first position and bow strokes) down. You have to stick through the initial terrible sounding technique to be rewarded.

I also study music at university, and it's amazing what an advantage you are at if you learn the violin, as so much of the study of music is diverted towards strings (the most versatile and emotional section in an orchestra). While I struggled in some areas, being able to mark bow strokes and understand the possibilities of a violin in terms of special effects, double stopping etc. put me ahead of my peers in the area of string writing and analysis.

Other than that, it's a beautiful instrument when played competently, with a rich back catologue of repotoire in all oevres of music, not just Western Classical, but Indian, Irish and Eastern European Folk, and Samba/Jazz musics.

If you want to discuss it more, just PM me
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Jul 18, 2011,
It seems to me that violin requires a good deal more devotion to get even a small payoff compared to keyboards or guitar.
Yeah sorry, no you guys have been pretty helpful, its just a few people that just come in and say the exact same thing others have. No, i would give a limb to go to Berklee. so yeah thanks and I think im gonna sit down with my theory teacher and prioritise what i need to do to optimise my chances of getting into a good academic establishment, on an aspirational level Cambridge. But yeah I am definitely going to continue to learn piano and take exams for guitar, as im sure any university would like me to have grade 8 in my main instrument
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Except it's the other way around. GDAE.

this, so in other words, tuning is nowhere near like a guitar.

Quote by Xiaoxi
No, it's not. I don't know where you've got this impression that they are similar, because they aren't. And I'm telling you that with both experiences.

this. they are completely different.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.