A friend is selling several guitars and while we know what the guitars basically are, we are having difficulty pinpointing their exact styles and numbers. We'd like to put the guitars on ebay but we would prefer to know the exact information before doing so.

These are the best of the guitars that he's selling and any information will be greatly appreciated!

Hofner Bass? Has no markings except this number - 2287973 It was bought probably sometime in the '60's or '70's

Gibson Acoustic / Electric purchased the 1970's

Gibson Les Paul Junior Electric Guitar which was bought in, about, 1964

The way you have it listed(Hofner, Acoustic /electric, Jr.) is probably the correct order of the value of these instruments. I could be wrong, because I'm not an expert on that era.If I had to guess I'd say the value of the Jr. is 600$ or less, but its just a guess.

Also, do you see the mis-matching headstock?
It says Les Paul, but it's clearly an SG model.
Gear

Guitars
Ibanez ART 300
Squier Strat
Godin 12 string Antique cedarburst
Ibanez RGD 320

Amps
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Peavey Solo 15 W
Fender 10 W

Effects
Dunlop GCB - 95 Crybaby wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Boss MT-2 Distortion
Last edited by tryhonesty at Jul 18, 2011,
I'm not seeing a Les Paul Jr there.

Edit: Well, if those are made in the 60s, I'd imagine you'd get a decent amount for them. First thing I'd do is email or call gibson with the serial numbers to get as much info as possible.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Jul 18, 2011,
Quote by tryhonesty

Also, do you see the mis-matching headstock?
It says Les Paul, but it's clearly an SG model.

The SG was originally marketed as a new Les Paul. They stopped that around 1963 I think, so the TS's SG is probably either pre-'63 or a fake

Best thing you can probably do TS is to email the respective companies with the serial numbers and see what info they give you. Then see what similar items are going for.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
The bass guitar is not a Hofner, but a japanese copy of one. I suspect it may be a Teisco, but I'm not sure. There were plenty of these made in the 60's, to market to Paul McCartney fans. Not sure how much it's worth. I would guess it's in the $500 ballpark.

The hollow guitar looks like an ES-125. Not the most desirable model, but still a 50's Gibson. I've seen similar Gibsons go for around $2000.

The SG junior looks like the bridge may have been replaced. I believe the wrap-around bridges at the time did not have those ridges on them. I'm not sure when those were introduced. The fact that it says "Les Paul" on the headstock means that it was made between 1961 and 1963. These sell for shitloads of dollars.

EDIT: Nevermind, the SG's bridge is authentic.
Can we get a shot of the bass headstock?

MORE EDIT: I suspect the bass to be an early 70's Univox
Last edited by sashki at Jul 18, 2011,
in 1964, that was a les paul.

i'll give you $300 for it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The Hofner probably isn't going to bring much. Those basses aren't particularly appealing to bassists these days. As for the Gibsons, call Gruhn Guitars and tell them what you've got. A professional appraisal from them is about $50.00, but they can probably give you some very useful information over the telephone. They're a leader in the vintage guitar field.

Gruhn Guitars: (615) 256-2033

The Les Paul Jr./SG Jr. (or is it a Special?) that you've got there is a real find. Pete Townshend of The Who made them famous, and John Entwistle remarked in his book that Pete never sounded better than when he was playing one of them. Gruhn Guitars has a 1962 version with two pickups on their website right now for US$4,000.00.

Sorry I can't help you with the Acoustic/Electric. Give Gruhn a description and a serial number and they can at least identify it for you.

Good luck!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The LP Jr is the guitar out of that bunch , worth @$1000-$1500 I'd say.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by sashki
The bass guitar is not a Hofner, but a japanese copy of one. I suspect it may be a Teisco, but I'm not sure. There were plenty of these made in the 60's, to market to Paul McCartney fans. Not sure how much it's worth. I would guess it's in the $500 ballpark.

The hollow guitar looks like an ES-125. Not the most desirable model, but still a 50's Gibson. I've seen similar Gibsons go for around $2000.

The SG junior looks like the bridge may have been replaced. I believe the wrap-around bridges at the time did not have those ridges on them. I'm not sure when those were introduced. The fact that it says "Les Paul" on the headstock means that it was made between 1961 and 1963. These sell for shitloads of dollars.

EDIT: Nevermind, the SG's bridge is authentic.
Can we get a shot of the bass headstock?

MORE EDIT: I suspect the bass to be an early 70's Univox

Thanks. I'm not sure about the bass either and suspect it may be a replica. There's no identifying marks on it except a serial number. It was purchased in the '60's and I only think it might be a Hofner because that seems to be the only company that makes a guitar that looks like that. I'll try to get more pics.

From what research I've done, it seems like Gibson made, in 1963 an SG model and a "regular" model with the name on the headstock. 1963 was the last year that they were made and I think the guitar was bought in 1963/64. I could be wrong but I think that the one's with the name on the headstock are worth more? Not sure about that.

Here's a link: Link

From 1963 to1971 gibson continued production with basicly the same guitars but were renamed the sg junior ( had no les paul logos on peghead ).

Edit: I just found out that the serial number confirms that the date of the Les Paul Jr. is 1963. So, is it safe to assume that it's just a les paul jr. and not an SG?

Edit: I found that the serial number of the electric acoustic indicates that it's from 1973.
Last edited by poweredbypluto at Jul 19, 2011,
I'm faily certain the bass is not a Hofner. A number of companies made violin-shaped bass guitars in the late 60's and 70's, which all had subtle differences. This includes Univox, Aria, Kawai, Greco, Vox and others. You'll have to look at things like the hardware, pickups, control layout and inlays to identify the exact bass.

It does resemble an Aria bass in most aspects, apart from the pickups
It is a Les Paul Jr. The SG started out life as the "new" Les Paul Standard or Custom(I dont recall 100%). But Les Paul did not want his name on a product, that had no links to him, other than the Les Paul name on the head stock. So Gibson changed the name to SG (Solid Guitar) and the rest is history.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 19, 2011,
Quote by Robbgnarly
It is a Les Paul Jr. The SG started out life as the "new" Les Paul Standard or Custom(I dont recall 100%). But Les Paul did not want his name on a product, that had no links to him, other than the Les Paul name on the head stock. So Gibson changed the name to SG (Solid Guitar) and the rest is history.

Thanks, this is what I believe as well. It was a little confusing because of the year as that's when the SG's started as well, but since this has the name on the headstock it can only be an LP jr.
Also, once I i.d. all of these guitars (plus a couple of others of lesser value) I'll be putting them on Ebay if anyone's interested.
Last edited by poweredbypluto at Jul 19, 2011,
By the serial number, I've narrowed down the Acoustic Electric Gibson to having been made in 1973. It kind of looks like an es150 or es175 or something like that but I still can't i.d. the guitar.
Turns out the Bass Guitar is a Conrad (though very similar to the Aria) and the Acoustic / Electric may be an es125?