First, how bad is it to constantly change the tuning? Standard to drop d, or drop c or eb. Constantly. Daily. Usually the routine is practice in standard, then lower the tuning. I'm not asking what types of string I should use as I already asked in another thread. Will doing this wear them out faster? I and furthermore, how do I know when to change them? Or what's a rule of thumb(2 weeks, 1 month, when they break?)

And second, the cable I have is from epiphone. Obviously they didn't send me a good one. I notice when I move my guitar it makes like a scratching noise. Is this typical of all cables? Could you recommend a decent brand? Does this worsen with length(longer cable = more noise?)

Thanks in advance, everyone is so fast to answer here.
Epiphone LP100 (Ebony)
Peavey Vypyr 75
Last edited by sheepdawg at Jul 18, 2011,
Changing tunings a lot isn't great for your strings, but there isn't really an alternative, is there? Plus, it doesn't seem to shorten the life all that much. Most people change strings every month or so - after a while you'll be able to tell when they start sounding dead.

Cables aren't supposed to crackle when you move them - that's a cheap cable. Planet waves tend to be good. Even a long one shouldn't make that sound - though a longer cable will reduce treble from your guitar. Keep in mind that it might be your output jack and not the cable.
I was wondering if it was the jack but if I hold the cable in place near both(amp and guitar) and shake the cable in the middle or move it across the carpet I can hear it making noise.
Epiphone LP100 (Ebony)
Peavey Vypyr 75
Supposedly, changing the tuning constantly is bad for the neck. I used to change tuning on a regular basis and never noticed anything. And I don't think it's going to wear out yore strings any faster. Everybody has different preferences on when to change strings. I personally change them when they break, but I break strings on a regular basis. I would recommend changing them when they get dull looking or start getting rusty.
Quote by thrashdeth
Supposedly, changing the tuning constantly is bad for the neck. I used to change tuning on a regular basis and never noticed anything. And I don't think it's going to wear out yore strings any faster. Everybody has different preferences on when to change strings. I personally change them when they break, but I break strings on a regular basis. I would recommend changing them when they get dull looking or start getting rusty.

Lol yea I was just reading the "you know you need to change your strings when..." thread. Some funny answers in there. And apparently some superhuman strings lasting years. I'm sure they sound shitty though.
Epiphone LP100 (Ebony)
Peavey Vypyr 75