Hey guys and girls, I'm recording a power pop song and I want that Ric tone but don't have enough money to get a Ric. I have an Agile Les Paul and a Squier Strat for guitars and a Fender Frontman 212R and Vox Tonelab ST for amps/effects. Does anybody have any ideas for me? Thanks a lot
you should buy a rickenbacker.

i suggest a job. or chores around the house.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
nothing else really sounds like a Ric. they have a distictive sound and pickups which is tough to duplicate. with what you have it'sgoing to be tough.

i guess i'd try using a 12 string setting on your tonelab (if it has one), maybe a little compression as well. Rics have that trebly jangly sound so use a clean setting on your amp and work with the eq until you can live with the sound. don't expect to nail it though
Quote by FatalGear41
Well; you could try the Janglebox JB2. Roger McGuinn himself has endorsed it:

http://www.janglebox.com/jangle_jb2.htm

I don't know how much it costs, though.

the janglebox is just a compressor as far as i know. it's designed to be used with a 12-string rickenbacker to get the byrds type sound, it's not gonna make a guitar that isn't a rickenbacker sound like a rickenbacker.

TS, with what you have, you could probably approximate a similar sort of chiming tone using a clean AC30 type setting on the tonelab, it's not really gonna sound like a rickenbacker but it should do the same kind of job for the overall sound.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
the janglebox is just a compressor as far as i know. it's designed to be used with a 12-string rickenbacker to get the byrds type sound, it's not gonna make a guitar that isn't a rickenbacker sound like a rickenbacker.

It is a compressor/sustainer/treble boost/clean boost all in one, and the various features can be used in combination with one another or individually. It isn't made specifically for a 12-string, as most of their professional endorsees use it with a regular 6-string.

That having been said, you're right. It won't turn a Les Paul into a Rick hollowbody. But it will brighten up the sound in such a way that you might get something resembling a Rick.

And I recently searched online for the thing. It sells for about US$300.00, so it isn't cheap.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Thanks a lot! The Janglebox sounds great, but it is pricey for what it is so I'm probably just going to fiddle around with what I have and try getting a more Pete Townshend type tone.