Hey guys, normally I would take this.....somewhere. BUT I think it's more appropriate here as none of the luthiers in question are members.

I've been pretty seriously looking into getting a new fingerstyle guitar, somewhere in the $4000-$5000 range and I've come pretty close on Charis, Lowden, used McPherson and a few others.

Here's where the problem is, I really, really like the Charis but when I get to their website and the luthier preaches the word of god, it really annoys me. I personally don't come from a religious background and something really irks me at having a guitar "built by the grace of god."

Am I being too stingy here or do I have a point? I really like the guitars....just not the message of the luthier or the reason for their existence. It sort of offends me that religion is brought into music this way.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
don't be hatin' If you like the sound get the guitar, the sound and play a way more important than who makes it
You're being stingy but you also have a point. Send an e-mail of anger and threaten that you've been put off buying one of their products due to the links to christianity. Might even get some money off.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Oosh.
You're being stingy but you also have a point. Send an e-mail of anger and threaten that you've been put off buying one of their products due to the links to christianity. Might even get some money off.

More than likely get a "you should look somewhere else" haha. I don't know. I don't preach my religion (or lack thereof) with my music so it irritates me when other people do.

EDIT:

Also I feel like if I'm dropping 4-5 grand (and more likely close to 8 or more for one of these) I should have a good relationship with the luther.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jul 18, 2011,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Meh, I guess that much money just seems hard to spend if I'm not 100% sold.

This. If I were you I'd not buy this guitar because it wll always bring the thing that bothers you in your mind. And for that kind of money...
Christians believe in the Gospel (Good News) of Christ forgiving the sins of humanity and promising eternal life to all those willing to accept it. They believe, or rather feel compelled, that they should share this good news with everyone they can, just as anyone would want to share good news of their own. It would be selfish not to share such good news.

Christians are often nice guys, if I were you I wouldn't let it bother me that the guy is expressing his faith. If you like his work then why let religious prejudice stand in the way of getting a nice guitar? Judge him on his work.

(I realise that Im sounding a bit evangelical here and I dont mean offence by the 'prejudice' part, but I cannae be bothered editing this post to make it friendlier)

edit:In fact I admire the guy for feeling comfortable sharing his faith
also, been on his website, those geetars look niice
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jul 18, 2011,
No kidding, heaven forbid the guy should use his religious freedom in the process of making a living. Seems to me your the intolerant one, not him.
2010 Epiphone Dot
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
2009 Taylor 110 acoustic
yay someone agrees with me

*flameshield deactivate*
Quote by Hydra150
Christians believe in the Gospel (Good News) of Christ forgiving the sins of humanity and promising eternal life to all those willing to accept it. They believe, or rather feel compelled, that they should share this good news with everyone they can, just as anyone would want to share good news of their own. It would be selfish not to share such good news.

Christians are often nice guys, if I were you I wouldn't let it bother me that the guy is expressing his faith. If you like his work then why let religious prejudice stand in the way of getting a nice guitar? Judge him on his work.

(I realise that Im sounding a bit evangelical here and I dont mean offence by the 'prejudice' part, but I cannae be bothered editing this post to make it friendlier)

edit:In fact I admire the guy for feeling comfortable sharing his faith
also, been on his website, those geetars look niice

My problem comes from having people constantly force that on me while growing up. I don't want this to turn into a religious debate, it's not. Religious debates are what give me these qualms about buying a GUITAR from a man who professes his faith. I wish the fact that he publicly displays his faith didn't bother me, I wish that the way I had been treated didn't give me that natural hesitation but there it is. If it were anything but a guitar I really wanted, I would go on with my day without a second thought. I'm happy for people that can believe and be better because of it. That's not me.

It's not a question of intolerance either. I'm plenty tolerant as long as it isn't put upon me. I don't like putting my beliefs on other people either. In fact, I try to keep the issue of religion as far out of my daily life as possible. I would like as much freedom as possible but this is more of a private matter.

The issue comes to dropping a SUBSTANTIAL sum on a guitar which carries a belief I don't endorse. I do love the instrument as an instrument but like I said, I don't think I could spend the money on it since it's a symbol of something that bothers me. My question was whether I was being unreasonable in my inability to spend the money on an instrument or if I had some legitimacy. That being said, the "nice guys" comment I've generally found to be true. Maybe after talking with him about crafting an instrument I could make a better decision.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
a guitar which carries a belief

The guitar is not a Christian, it is a well formed chunk of wood.

Maybe you need to find ways of sorting out your issues with Christianity/religious people (maybe just talking with the guy like you said) but if you think you're going to self-consciously dislike the guitar then dont throw all yer money at it. But after all its a (hand crafted, custom made for you) inanimate object that you should project your own personality on, not the luthiers.

edit: Btw Im not trying to start a religious debate at all, just stating why Christians often feel the need to share their experience (its called witnessing) and why you shouldnt feel threatened/uncomfortable about it. Although you clearly do feel uncomfortable about it.
editedit: I would share your unease about buyin from the guy if he had a policy of not selling axes to gays or Muslims or whatever, but I doubt that is the case.
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jul 18, 2011,
Well, as an Atheist, and having now looked at the site, I agree with your reluctance to do business with the guy. They are beautiful guitars, I really like what I saw. But, I was also pretty turned off by his inability to keep his... um, ...stuff... out of his business. I, personally, would do business elsewhere for that reason alone.

Do what you want, of course. I just wanted you to know that your admonitions weren't unwarranted. Not in my eyes.

I should point out that I don't do any business with companies that have advertisements that I don't like. For instance, I have never tasted a Mentos... Just sayin'...
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.