I had sharpie on my fingers and It got all over my fretboard from bending I guess, and I dont know how to get it off
I tried simple green but it didnt do shit and I dont want to sand it off

I figured someone here has had this problem before :p
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Play and bend alot , otherwise sanding is all I can think of
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sanding, bleaching or staining are your only options, wither way there is no easy way out
Really? there's nothing thatll cut through it? there's a poly finish on the neck
I was thinking wd40 but I dont know if that would eat the finish
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
The only things that are strong enough to remove it will cause their own problems. Fine steel wool and patience is what I recommend. Use WD-40 and you may as well throw the neck in the garbage. Don't be foolish - keep that shit FAR away from ANY audio equipment or instrument.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
rubbing alcohol removes permanent marker. You could try that and rub some fretboard oil on it.
damn! I have some fretboard cleaner! haha I always try to remind myself of something before I go to sleep and I always forget
ill give it a try, thanks for unintentionally reminding me haha
- Carl Sagan
cleaner didnt work =[
- Carl Sagan
Acetone will eat into the finish too. Same with any other stripper, thinner or other paint/dye/ink removal/cleaner. Guitar finishes aren't as tough against those kinds of chemicals as you'd think. Water won't shift it either. So you can either damage the finish with chemicals, damage it with sandpaper or live with it.
dry erase marker takes sharpie off of whitebords...do a small test area and try it out (makew sure to wipe of the dry erase marker too! lol)
Quote by Controlpanel
dry erase marker takes sharpie off of whitebords...do a small test area and try it out (makew sure to wipe of the dry erase marker too! lol)

+1-this trick saves my butt at least once a year.
Naphtha/Lighter fluid.
Don't use acetone, it will damage the finish on the fretboard. Some lighter fluid and a cloth should clean it right up. Thats what we use for cleaning off Sharpie residue after doing a fret dress, works great and won't damage anything.
Last edited by littlephil at Jul 18, 2011,
Yep use some naptha
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by littlephil
Naphtha/Lighter fluid.
Don't use acetone, it will damage the finish on the fretboard. Some lighter fluid and a cloth should clean it right up. Thats what we use for cleaning off Sharpie residue after doing a fret dress, works great and won't damage anything.

plus 1
GUITARS:
PRS Custom 24 (Black Slate 10 top w/birds)
ESP E-II Horizon NT-III (RDB)
ESP Eclipse II - Snow White

AMPS:
Mesa Rectoverb combo
CHEMISTRY CLASS TO THE RESCUE!!!!

you need a nonpolar substance to dissolve the nonpolar sharpie. Alcohol seems like your best bet in this situation, and I dont THINK it will damage the fret-board.
Anxiously Anticipating An Attractive ADA-MP1 Addition!
lighter fluid as in BBQ lighter fluid?
- Carl Sagan
BBQ lighter fluid = yes...another choice would be AXE body spray...I don't know why it works but it will take sharpie off just about anything
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Not if its petrol based. Lighter fluid as in cigarette lighter fluid (Zippo stuff, etc)
BBQ lighter fluid is different usually, I'm not sure if it will damage anything. Naphtha/Zippo fluid is the way to go.