Alright, so basically my friends and I have started a band, and I'm lead vocals and playing 1 of 2 guitars. We're just doing covers right now, but we really enjoy doing stuff like The Raconteurs, Cage the Elephant, etc. However, some of the songs we're playing they feel like I should sing in a high octave. I can sing up there, but the problem is, it's RIGHT on the edge of my cut-off before I hit falsetto notes, and the whole falsetto thing doesn't exactly sound bluesy or powerful enough. So I end up either singing on the edge of yelling and occasionally notes slip out of tune or I hit falsetto and sound ridiculous and lose tune. My voice isn't the BEST suited for this type of music, but it's the kind we all enjoy playing, and I'm working on it. If you want to hear a cover of Ain't No Rest for the Wicked, it's below. The first verse doesn't sound real good because it took me until the 2nd verse to get comfortable with the song, but by the second verse it's better. Also, knowing the lyrics by heart would've been better, but we wanted a recording. This is just me and the other guitarist. Anyway, is there any way I can extend my range upwards so I'm not on the edge when I'm singing that kind of song? Also, I need to sound a little more gruff without smoking, so is there a way to do that? Thanks a lot! Also, any feedback on the song is appreciated. I'll also attach a link to my cover of Polly by Nirvana. I would love some feedback on the voice and the sound of the music in general. Thank you all!!

http://soundcloud.com/nick-harp/aint-no-rest-for-the-wicked

http://soundcloud.com/bradicus/polly-cover
Can't really give you advice about your range except to do your exercises. Practice your upper range, but your voice has certain limits that you're born with. No matter what he tries, a baritone won't get a tenor's upper bound. Don't know if that helps at all; probably not much.

If your voice isn't suited for the music you're playing, you've got three options: change your voice (which is inadvisable), quit the band and let them get a new singer who can do that stuff, or play different songs/make them your own. Nobody says you have to exactly reproduce a song (An excellent example would be Where Is My Mind in Fight Club and Sucker Punch--same song, totally different feel). If you want some more grit, try doing a shot of whiskey before a performance. Won't damage your vocal chords--at least not as much as smoking will--but adds some rasp to it.

P.S. You're obviously not new around here, so advertising your songs is strongly frowned upon in forums that aren't Recordings. Don't do it again.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Thanks for the advice. 16 = whiskey's a no-go. So I'll have to figure out something else.

P.S. I'm very new to the forums. (Never knew the singing forums were here till today, probably saw the guitar forums maybe twice the entire time I've been a member.) I registered when I first found the site and only used it for tabs, so I had no idea it was frowned upon. Thanks for the reminder, sorry for not knowing what's taboo.
Quote by jwd724
If you want some more grit, try doing a shot of whiskey before a performance. Won't damage your vocal chords--at least not as much as smoking will--but adds some rasp to it.

Alcohol is bad for your vocal chords and overall singing.
So it's a very bad choice to drink before going on stage.
What should you drink then?

Water