I recently auditioned for a post-hardcore band and it went pretty well, the only thing is that the singer said that I needed to start writing. The problem is that I'm not good at writing music at all, I'm trying to find stuff that sounds good but I don't know why I'm having trouble with it. I've been playing guitar for about 6 years but I'm not very well versed in theory...so if someone could help me out be telling me what I should know to write for this so I can kind of know what goes together. I'm the rhythm guitarist but I want to incorporate some lead parts also. The songs that we have so far do use a lot of open notes, triplets, chugs, breakdowns, and some lead licks. Any help would be appreciated.
Well, since you played for 6 years, I would assume that you would at least know some basic chords, and the notes on the fretboard. If you do, then I suggest you should learn major/minor scales, chord formulas, and intervals, and once you learn that, make sure you have a firm grasp on understanding those concepts.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Post-hardcore is a very easy genre to get the hang of. Play around with the minor scale, keep the songs in the key of whatever your lowest note is on the guitar (For Drop C, of course, it would be C). It doesn't take much to write out a pattern for "chugging" or a "breakdown", I could teach a monkey to palm mute an open power chord and play it at random times. Just, look at some other bands that you're going for in terms of sound, see what they do, and use that to help you write your own riffs. That's what will help you the most.
Last edited by Zan595 at Jul 19, 2011,
all i can say is that once things become formulaic, they also become forgettable.
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Post Hardcore is a very formulaic, forgettable genre, in my opinion. It's just the "style", kinda cookie cutter.
Chug chug chugga chug.

Now to make an album.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.