Hi,

Firstly, I am very new to home recording. I recently bought a USB audio interface, a SM57, and I am using Reaper as my DAW because it is cheap and seems relatively easy to figure out for a newbie like myself.

I need a small mic stand (or something) to properly place the mic. Any suggestions on something inexpensive. It doesn't need to be super rugged as it'll just be used at home.

Thank you in advance.
Anything will do you more or less. Spend around 30 bucks on a stand and you're good to go.
I'd say go for a full size mic stand though, just in case you decide you want to record something other than your amp. You never know!
Why not just hang that sucker by the mic cord?

I mean, seriously, just dangle it over the speaker cone you want to mic.

Or stick it in a shoe and mic the bottom one. Shoes provide isolation and stability - that's what they're designed to do, right?
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Bubonic Chronic

Or stick it in a shoe and mic the bottom one. Shoes provide isolation and stability - that's what they're designed to do, right?

Well I had been putting the mic on a stack of books to get it to the height I want. Gets the job done, but I'd prefer the mic stand just because it looks better. I thought maybe there was such a thing as mic stands built just for this purpose.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

Unless you wanted to mic it on axis (or anywhere close). Or movie it away from the cab. Or for the shoe thing... Unless you want to mic anywhere near the cone (assuming it's a shoe and not a large boot, but even then, placement would not be easy)

To the OP, any ol' mic stand will work. A boom is always more versatile, and if you have 20-30 bucks you can pick up a good one. It's fine to go used on them too, so you could get one for 10 easily if you have a used store around you.