I may have missed a serious piece of information when learning to Play guitar.... I thought it was just my BC rich but why are all 3 of my guitar necks (2 electric one classical, the classical guitar is the most bent) bending upward at the first 4 frets?!

The warlock is constantly in c# standard dropped b
The ibby is always in drop a
And my classical guitar is always in standard

This is really scary and I have NO mOney for adjustments on all 3...
Help?!
I only have a case for my classical but for the 2 electrics I stand them against the wall strings first....
Well, if you stand them against a wall the necks will bend eventually. Real bummer that all this became that noticeable all at once though. My best suggestion next time around would be to take the money you'll otherwise spend on adjustments and get stands for them. Try to set them up so that the prongs of the stand are right under the headstock; better to have pressure parallel to the neck than perpendicular. What's done is done, though. Pick a favorite, get it taken care of and play it while you save for the others. Also, invest the extra money for a full setup and let the people working on it know how you keep it tuned. Maybe they can set it up specially for your tunings. Good luck.
Last edited by hvymtldrmz1392 at Jul 19, 2011,
^^ Good advice, but what would be even better is if you hang them. Also, you want to make sure your not exposing your guitars to extreme temperture fluctuations, like in the summer when your house gets super hot then you turn on the AC and it gets super cold, and the next day it starts over agian - Thats not good for a guitar for an extended period of time.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by hvymtldrmz1392
Well, if you stand them against a wall the necks will bend eventually. Real bummer that all this became that noticeable all at once though. My best suggestion next time around would be to take the money you'll otherwise spend on adjustments and get stands for them. Try to set them up so that the prongs of the stand are right under the headstock; better to have pressure parallel to the neck than perpendicular. What's done is done, though. Pick a favorite, get it taken care of and play it while you save for the others. Also, invest the extra money for a full setup and let the people working on it know how you keep it tuned. Maybe they can set it up specially for your tunings. Good luck.

Thanks man, I'm fresh out of high school, I doubt I'll have that kind of money for a while... Thanks. I may just sell all 3 for a seven string with a case and new gear, but if not then I know what to do
Quote by hvymtldrmz1392
Well, if you stand them against a wall the necks will bend eventually. My best suggestion next time around would be to take the money you'll otherwise spend on adjustments and get stands for them.

this seems a touch on the retarded side to me. not only will leaning it against the wall not warp the neck, there is less than no difference bewteen leaning a guitar against the wall and putting it on a stand.

plus why the **** would you store a guitar on a stand? thats just asking to have a spilled guitar.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Quote by Levi79
I kind of doubt it's actually as bad as your saying. You got pics?

Nah and the computers down and I can't do it from the iPod
guitar stands are one option, but you could also get wall hooks
Ibanez - Art320
Dean - Mustaine VMNT (silver)
BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone
Line6 Spider Valve II 212, Blackstar HT5C
Wouldn't a truss rod adjustment help?
Down they come
The swarm of locusts
Skies above
Converge to choke us
Feast of souls
Consume the harvest
Young and old
Suffer unto the locust
Quote by zYx Monster xYz
Wouldn't a truss rod adjustment help?

This man speaks the truth.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
A well padded gig bag will reduce any pressure on a wall
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child

Are they incredibly overpriced like everything else musically related? Lol
Quote by xDjentlemen420
Are they incredibly overpriced like everything else musically related? Lol

theyre like 10 bucks but they wont help. the guitar you keep in a case is warped too is it not?

the problem is probably the heat and humidity.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Quote by kolonelkadat
theyre like 10 bucks but they wont help. the guitar you keep in a case is warped too is it not?

the problem is probably the heat and humidity.

Yeah I called up the local non-corporate music store, I have a friend in their guitar section, he said I need a full setup and a case for each guitar basically. I'm gonna sell the classical guitar and save my ibby,

Or

Like I said, just sell all 3 (somehow) and get a 7 string
well a gig bag might of prevented warping. Something to keep in mind. i have a very nice £35 gig bag with a couple of inches of padding on one side and I don't have any issues standing guitars against the wall.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I doubt leaning the guitars against a wall had anything to do with it. Guitar strings alone exert over 100 pounds of force on a guitar neck, I doubt the force exerted by the wall on the neck is going to have any effect at all.

It might have been something environmental though, since it happened to all three guitars at once. How has the weather been lately in your area? Has anything different occured around your guitars?
Leaning, Standing, Hanging. Good grief. A neck will warp 1) if it was made with under-treated wood, or 2) if it gets severe humidity abuse (either too low OR too high, or lots of changes, and extreme temperatures amplify humidity problems)
ok one more 3) over a very long period of time (decades) the string tension can win out over the wood.
in case 1) the warpage is usually more than just bowing, it often includes twisting. Eww!
twisting can also occur with extreme humidity.

Most of my guitars are older than most of you, and they do not always get the sweet love you you call for (and they do deserve that love, don't get me wrong). My strat copy (circa 1975) has spent most of its 25 years with me leaning against a wall. I dont know exactly what it got before that, but it wasn't a comfy case. If there was a case he would have sold the case with the guitar, like he did the amp. The neck is still straight. Like zinca said, the string tension has much greater effect than any kind of leaning (excluding aunt Sarah leaning on it).

Cases, stands and hooks are still a great idea. Cases are the most awkward for me, but provide the best protection, including some protection from temperature and humidity. Stands are better than leaning against the couch, as long as they are located somewhere clear of traffic so they dont get kicked. Hanging on the wall is my favourite, since it doubles as art, provides very easy access and is about as out of the way as is possible.
Quote by zincabopataurio
I doubt leaning the guitars against a wall had anything to do with it. Guitar strings alone exert over 100 pounds of force on a guitar neck, I doubt the force exerted by the wall on the neck is going to have any effect at all.

It might have been something environmental though, since it happened to all three guitars at once. How has the weather been lately in your area? Has anything different occured around your guitars?

Sun and rain man, definitely the weather
Quote by xDjentlemen420
Sun and rain man, definitely the weather

Damn, that's unfortunate that happened to you, I hope you can get it fixed. Do your necks look warped, or are they just bowed forwards? If it's the latter, you might be able to fix it with a truss rod adjustment. It might simply be a case of the bow of the neck being affected by the weather, instead of the neck warping.

For the future though, try to avoid any extreme changes in humidity or temperature. It's best if you store your guitars in a solid case, but a gig bag works too. Both options do get pricey though. Do you have a closest that you could maybe store the guitars in? i think that would be much better than nothing.
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Jul 20, 2011,
Quote by Emperor's Child

No it won't. All it will do is put a little piece of foam between the neck and the wall. The amount of pressure exerted on the next remains the same.
Originally Posted by jpnyc
No it won't. All it will do is put a little piece of foam between the neck and the wall. The amount of pressure exerted on the next remains the same.
The padding will take some of the force. Force against wall=Force from wall for the object to remain stationary. Now the bag will account for some of that force.

Btw: my bag has more than "a little foam"
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Jul 20, 2011,
Quote by Emperor's Child
The padding will take some of the force. Force against wall=Force from wall for the object to remain stationary. Now the bag will account for some of that force.

Btw: my bag has more than "a little foam"

You make a fair point but why is the guitar (a) in a soft bag, and (b) leaning against a wall in the first place.

While I disagree with people above that leaning in certain ways is likely to lead to warped necks, I think there are much better ways to store your guitars.

When it comes to guitar safety I don't know why people scrimp/cut corners. You wouldn't buy an expensive pair of sunglasses and not buy a sturdy case for them so why do that with instruments.
Last edited by Duv at Jul 20, 2011,
just out of curiousity. why dont you just learn to set it up yourself and see how you like?
Gibson SG - Rose
Fender Stratocaster Mexican-Lucy
Morgan Monroe 32-20 Acoustic
Epiphone Blues Custom 30
Peavey Delta Blues 15
Luther Drive
Russian Black Big Muff pi
Nano Muff
1982 NYC Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
There is a huge difference between a warped neck and neck relief. Im pretty sure theres nothing wrong with his guitars guys. He probably just never noticed that most necks are not perfectly straight. What do you think a truss rod does.