Hey there guys, I restrung my guitar the other day, little did I know I actually installed a set of .052-.011 instead of the usual .052-.010. Safe to say I noticed the difference on the first bend, getting a whole tone bend on the high E string was a killer!! Usually I can stretch that out to 3 notes with a .010 gauge(and 4 notes on the G and B strings)! My questions are will I be able to build up strength to be able to bend up to the notes I used to? Probably a silly question as everyone is different. Also will the thicker gauge damage my the frets on the guitar(ESP Horizon NT II)? Apparently SRV used .012 gauge and he used to bend heaps!! Thanks in advance guys.
Hey man, you are fine with increasing the string guage, just be careful that you dont go too think or you will have to get your bridge adjusted, take it to any guitar shop and its like 50 bucks.
Quote by pedersbr
Hey man, you are fine with increasing the string guage, just be careful that you dont go too think or you will have to get your bridge adjusted, take it to any guitar shop and its like 50 bucks.

What exactly will I have to change though? The strings sit pretty well with minimal fret buzz. I definitely won't be going any thicker in gauge. I bought a set of .011s just in case I wanted to down-tune later but put them on by mistake haha. Gotta say I like the idea of it, as it's much more of a challenge now.
Quote by chadreed32
Yes, SRV did it... with .013's.

Good Lord! In standard tuning???
Quote by Megadeth09
Good Lord! In standard tuning???

Down a half step... Still quite a feat.
Where's Waldo?
Oh and I forgot to mention that at one point he used .018's

He had to put bass frets in his strat.

SRV was such a boss.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by Megadeth09
What exactly will I have to change though? The strings sit pretty well with minimal fret buzz. I definitely won't be going any thicker in gauge. I bought a set of .011s just in case I wanted to down-tune later but put them on by mistake haha. Gotta say I like the idea of it, as it's much more of a challenge now.

Might have to re-adjust the intonation.
A jump from 10's to 11's may only need minor adjustments, if any.
Quote by chadreed32
Oh and I forgot to mention that at one point he used .018's

He had to put bass frets in his strat.

SRV was such a boss.

Wow, even tuned half step down... I'm guessing he wasn't getting more then whole tone bends?
Quote by CodeMonk
Might have to re-adjust the intonation.
A jump from 10's to 11's may only need minor adjustments, if any.

I'll check out the intonation, luckily the guitar is a fixed bridge so it's not too hard to do myself. Changing the intonation on a Floyd Rose guitar is an absolute killer!
Quote by Megadeth09
Wow, even tuned half step down... I'm guessing he wasn't getting more then whole tone bends?

He was...

That's using the .018's, IIRC
Where's Waldo?
Quote by CodeMonk
yeah.
its called practice

Ka-bingo.
And that won't affect the frets I don't think, it's not like you're using barbed wire.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Quote by evhbrianmay
Ka-bingo.
And that won't affect the frets I don't think, it's not like you're using barbed wire.

I got so used to the .010s that I forgot what it was like when I was first learning how to bend!
Quote by Megadeth09
I got so used to the .010s that I forgot what it was like when I was first learning how to bend!

Yeah, I never felt like setting up my Ibanez (with trem) for 10's so I just kept putting 9's on it, but my other guitar had 10's on it, so it was really weird for me. The 10's were hard to bend, and the 9's (+ the compensation of the trem) were rediculously easy to bend. I think i want to go back to 10's after I finish this box on 9's I have.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
Yeah, I never felt like setting up my Ibanez (with trem) for 10's so I just kept putting 9's on it, but my other guitar had 10's on it, so it was really weird for me. The 10's were hard to bend, and the 9's (+ the compensation of the trem) were rediculously easy to bend. I think i want to go back to 10's after I finish this box on 9's I have.

Yeah, the good thing about getting good at thicker gauges is when you go to a thinner gauge, you can pull of a 5 note bend with no resistance at all!!!
Quote by Zoot Allures
You sure those were 18s? o.o

Pretty sure, google always helps though
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
Pretty sure, google always helps though

I read he used .013s, .018s sounds insane though!! Getting a whole tone bend out of .011 on the high E is doable at the moment, anymore than that though...
I used to be able to get a 1-and-a-half step bend on the E with 12s on a strat... But I switched to 11s because that was insane.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Go for whatever string gauge you like. Your fingers will strengthen given time. There's plenty of players who use heavy gauges. Jeff Beck springs to mind.

SRV had insanely strong hands that could deal with his 0.013s so I think he can be dismissed as some freaky anomaly. His tech said that he liked going even higher but that the tech wouldn't let him for fear of destroying his hands.
Quote by Megadeth09
I read he used .013s, .018s sounds insane though!! Getting a whole tone bend out of .011 on the high E is doable at the moment, anymore than that though...

Yeah, he commonly used 13's, but that show at El Mocambo was with 18's.

And Duv, I wouldn't doubt it.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by evhbrianmay
I used to be able to get a 1-and-a-half step bend on the E with 12s on a strat... But I switched to 11s because that was insane.

I can get 1 and a half step bends on the G and B strings(standard tune), but the E string will take a bit of time. Feels better than the .010s though.
Quote by Duv
Go for whatever string gauge you like. Your fingers will strengthen given time. There's plenty of players who use heavy gauges. Jeff Beck springs to mind.

SRV had insanely strong hands that could deal with his 0.013s so I think he can be dismissed as some freaky anomaly. His tech said that he liked going even higher but that the tech wouldn't let him for fear of destroying his hands.

Most of his bends(from what I could see) were on the G and B strings, I find they high E string to be the most difficult. He was a freak though. .013s tuned at E flat is insane regardless of which strings you bend.